SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eye doctor convinced me to go with progressives
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eye doctor convinced me to go with progressives Login/Join 
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Think about this, mark123.

The people who recommended you go with progressives are incapable of making them properly.

Perhaps their advice is incorrect also. Give Monovision a try. It's cheap, works well and eliminates all the problems involved with making progressives.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Never mind the big box stores. If you’re able, look up a local, independent optometric practitioner. They are going to put their money where their mouth is, and the staff will be able to confer with the doc on best choices. Be honest but not unpleasant about your recent experience so they know you’ve been once bitten, twice shy. It should be a slam dunk for them, because they’ll know what to avoid and what to do. With your authorization release, they can review and build on your previous exam and experience. Good luck.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5319 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Never mind the big box stores. If you’re able, look up a local, independent optometric practitioner. They are going to put their money where their mouth is, and the staff will be able to confer with the doc on best choices. Be honest but not unpleasant about your recent experience so they know you’ve been once bitten, twice shy. It should be a slam dunk for them, because they’ll know what to avoid and what to do. With your authorization release, they can review and build on your previous exam and experience. Good luck.

For my last pair of glasses, single vision which are now 5 years old, I was examined and prescribed at Walmart and had the glasses made at Sam’s Club in Butler, PA. They are perfect. I’m just mentioning that because I think the admonishment for using a big box store is unfounded. The only reason we went to Boardman, OH this time is because I’ve vowed to never step foot in my local Walmart again and the eye doctor at the Butler Sam’s Club quit and they don’t plan to replace him.

I have a friend that is an eye doctor and she’s good but her staff is horrendous. I went there back in 2005 and the one lady fitting my glasses called me stupid. I haven’t gone back. We got a referral and will be trying it in the next couple weeks.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry you're having these difficulties. It's not rocket science, but there is a little bit of an art to it. I don't think anyone wants an unhappy patient/customer...probably!

It's also important to have people that genuinely care about what they're doing, and that can articulate what they're trying to accomplish and why they think what has been tried has not worked. Knowledge (both ways) goes a long ways. Is there anything particularly challenging about your spectacle Rx?

Sometimes (for better or worse) it is best to just start from scratch.

I hope for the best for you going forward.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:I’ll definitely get a new exam and prescription.

This guy at Sam’s Club is also independent. He’s just not able to help us.

I don't know how they do it at Sam's, but at Costco the optometrist is the independent. The optical area, where they fit you and get measurements, is staffed by Costco employees.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Northern California | Registered: December 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
Think about this, mark123.

The people who recommended you go with progressives are incapable of making them properly.

Perhaps their advice is incorrect also. Give Monovision a try. It's cheap, works well and eliminates all the problems involved with making progressives.
I have single vision lenses now. I’m just through with putting them up on my head to read or running up stairs to find my readers for the up close stuff. I’m going to try a different business altogether. We just tried the Sam’s Club because we’re members.

They called me this evening to say the doctor won’t refund his exam fee because he examined us twice. $110 total for Shirley and me. I suppose he is correct and we’ll just have to pay another guy to do it correctly. This guy argued with my wife that she’s wrong about having +0.75 readers because they don’t make them. Luckily she had them with her and he shut up but still wouldn’t change her reading section from the way too strong +2.0 which gives her headaches.

Posts: 45374 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

doctor won’t refund his exam fee
Leave a "nice" review on yelp. If you have twitter and / or Facebook access, leave reviews there too. And if you use nextdoor.com or the nextdoor app, leave reviews there.

If you need inspiration, Marzy has left some outstanding reviews on yelp.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post