SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Food Prices Are Getting Crazy Eating Out
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Food Prices Are Getting Crazy Eating Out Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yooper Culvers today: Cheeseburger, medium drink and small pretzel bites.
$12.79

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16086 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I work at a small mom and pop pizza place. The price of chicken wings from the supplier went up by over two dollars a pound MORE than what the restaurant was selling them to the customer. The price of pizza flour went up 25% in two weeks. The price of cheese is crazy. I can assure you that price increases and labor cost increases are making life difficult in the retail food business.

Posts: 1626 | Registered: February 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
Worst part is, when a few people stop going, they go up a little more. And so on and so on. The spiral that we hope doesn't lead to a bonafide depression.

Almost half the nation is deadly stupid.

Posts: 7254 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
You all need to check the chain restaurants that you like for apps. Most will get you deals.

Heck, for a few weeks, I got a free Crispy chicken from MCD with a $1 large coke on their mobile app. Easy quick lunch on the go.

Culver’s..get the kids meal. It’s the same burger as their old snack pack deal. And you get a free scoop of custard.

Posts: 1350 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
Yep.

Gave my dog his allowance, and found the dollar is only worth $3.50, in dog money...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43876 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 83v45magna:
The spiral that we hope doesn't lead to a bonafide depression.

People are whining and crying that we're heading for a recession. We're already there and nearing a depression that'll make the '30s look like child's play.

Posts: 20099 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of
Fine Avatars
Picture of Orguss
posted Hide Post
I have a favorite place for a bowl of clam chowder and some fish & chips. Unfortunately, it costs $46 for the two. Add in a tip...

"I'm yet another resource-consuming kid in an overpopulated planet raised to an alarming extent by Hollywood and Madison Avenue, poised with my cynical and alienated peers to take over the world when you're old and weak!" - Calvin, "Calvin & Hobbes"

Posts: 18023 | Location: Sonoma County, CA | Registered: April 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
With the price of gas what it is, I'm surprised so many are still dining out.

I can't think of a shittier time as an adult since January 2021.

Posts: 13109 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
With the price of gas what it is, I'm surprised so many are still dining out.

I can't think of a shittier time as an adult since January 2021.

Honestly, it's a great time to go out and enjoy life. Who knows what is coming next...

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
Honestly, it's a great time to go out and enjoy life. Who knows what is coming next...

I believe this is quite true. Next year we will be looking back at today as the good old days!

----------------------------------------------------
Dances with Crabgrass

Posts: 2183 | Location: East Virginia | Registered: October 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's not just the restraunts..food in general now getting stupid. Most stuff at our local Kroger is at least double what it was a year ago. I've got 4 kids, and it adds up pretty fast. Add to that the idiotic gas prices, and it's hard to even leave the house. I had to gas up my truck and the suburban this week, and both were well over $100, even with $0.30 off per gallon from the local Kroger fuel center. Even the little tank in our run around town Mazda is taking $50 these days. I can't wait until our garden starts producing...at this point I can barely afford to feed the family at home, much less eat out.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This recession is hurting a lot of extra activities. My wife runs bingo once a week for the recreation center in town here. Attendance has been dropping ever since price of gas, food, and every day life necessities began to rise. We used to have 80+ people per week and are now lucky to get 50.

Posts: 3664 | Location: PA | Registered: November 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
There is a nice little sports bar with multiple locations in Orlando, it's called Froggers. The main one is located in a suburbs (Oviedo) and I used to go there 20+ years ago after softball games for beer and wings. And to this day when we are over on that side of town we try to stop by and grab some wings. While their wings are good, their blue cheese is homemade and I have never had any other that even compares.

We stopped in a few weeks ago and the wife and I got 30 wings for ourselves. One appetizer, fried pickles. And a cheeseburger for the kid. I also had two margaritas which were $5.50 each. The total bill, after tip, was over $90. Wings and a burger, over $90.

That was the moment I said to her that our eating out days are numbered.

Posts: 2287 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I don't eat out very often, only for special occasions or delivery occasionally when working late. I do get lunch out often at work. Fast food is now nearly $10 for lunch, a deli is $15+, Chinese/vietnamese/Thai $12-15+, $12+ for a chipotle chicken burrito with guacamole. 'Nicer' lunch places are $20+.

Even cooking the vast majority of my own food, grocery prices are 20-30% since 2020 prices. My salary is up 9% in the same period.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20819 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
We live in a nice mountain resort town. During the lockdowns we did takeout a couple times per week from really nice restaurants. We bought really nice steak or scallops from the grocery store once per week.

Now we can't afford any of that. We've become "people of WalMart". It's worth the drive to save greatly on the groceries, but the mid-level quality items now cost as much as the premium cost in town a year ago.

We recently spent time in the UK and found their restaurant prices lower than equivalent in the USA. Even in London we ate cheaper than we can locally.

Posts: 9440 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
It's rough even if you want to cook it yourself. I'm fixing soft-shelled crabs for supper. I'll post the 'after' photo in the What did you have for dinner thread. (If I screw them up, I might have to shoot myself.)

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15481 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
It's not just the food prices, it's also the labor. A buddy of mine owns an Italian place. Mostly take out pizza, but they also offer sandwiches and such. They have a small indoor dining area well, nothing fancy.

He's paying his kitchen help $25 - $27 per hour. He has to keep raising their pay because he has to pay NEW folks $23 - $25 per hour. If the existing employees find out the new guys are making as much as them they get pissed off and quit. It's an endless cycle of giving raises.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Small carry out thin crust pepperoni and onion pizza at my favorite hole in the wall pizza joint.

Last year - $11 + tax.
Currently - $16 + tax.

Do the math on that one. Yeah, inflation is only 8%. Honest injun it is. Roll Eyes

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Slight thread drift......I got a haircut yesterday at my usual(40+ years) place. Last haircut was $17.....this one was $27!! Damn...That is healthy money for 20 minutes of work.

Posts: 6616 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Egg Mcmuffin and senior coffee at Mickey D = $6.40. Used to be just under four bux.

Starting pay for help at this McD is $14.00 an hour.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post