SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Eagle Has Landed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Eagle Has Landed Login/Join 
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted
48 years ago today.
How many watched those grainy TV pictures in real time?
This was scheduled to happen on my birthday but actually happened ahead of schedule to my great disappointment at the time. Not many government projects run ahead of schedule.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
I remember watching it. Still have copies of the local newspaper showing the event.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember watching it with my grandfather. I thought it was so cool that he was alive when the Wright brothers flew and when man first walked on the moon.

Posts: 416 | Location: Near Dallas, TX | Registered: February 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
I went over to my parents house to watch it. Memorable to say the least. I watched every step of the space program from the Redstone launch on. A very amazing feat in our countries history.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ducatista
Picture of rainman64
posted Hide Post
I remember watching it with my Dad. Good times that are lacking today.

Posts: 5028 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: April 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
We watched it all night, my dad made sure of that.

He actually sat us kids down around the coffee table to draw what we saw. It would be cool to have those drawings.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16704 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I hope I never forget.
It was the last truly awesome TV broadcast made.

Posts: 4629 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I didn't have a TV (still don't), so watched it in a seedy bar. The camera showed the lander, with NOTHING happening for the longest time. I had a helluva time persuading the other bar patrons to stick with that channel.

Thanks for the reminder of that epic event.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
The Mercury, Gemini and Apollo astronauts still are my heroes. What an American accomplishment the space program was.

Posts: 5697 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I did.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Yup... remember it well. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16223 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I watched it in Tehran, Iran. The Shah had just caused the installation of a big satellite station in the country and our American TV station carried the Lunar Landing coverage in real time. I think the other local (Farsi) stations were carrying it, also.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
My aunt worked in the place that made the mission patches, and somewhere at my folk's house I have an Apollo 11 patch framed.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
remember it like it was yesteday

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
My wife, our oldest son (15 months old then) and I watched it live. I was in the Air Force. Four months later I was in Vietnam.

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was in my grandmother's living room with mother an uncle watching it live.

Posts: 1548 | Registered: October 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
May 25, 1961, Kennedy made his Man on the Moon Speech.
Just over eight years later it happened but there were a tremendous number of technical developments to make that happen.
The hardware we are all reading this on is largely a result of that research and development.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Network Janitor
Picture of mkueffer
posted Hide Post
I remember watching and growing up in the space age it was always of interest to me. I even had an Apollo rocket.

A few Sigs and some others

Posts: 2219 | Location: Waukesha, WI | Registered: February 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Yes sir, remember it well!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I was installing a computer at the Manned Spacecraft Center in Houston when the launchpad fire took the lives of three Apollo astronauts. The sadness and distress of that day tempered the joy of the first lunar landing.

The staff was developing a FORTRAN program named MOONSHOT. When I first saw the name I took it to be MOON'S HOT before realizing it was MOON SHOT.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8959 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post