SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Eagle Has Landed
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Eagle Has Landed Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I was installing a computer at the Manned Spacecraft Center in Houston when the launchpad fire took the lives of three Apollo astronauts. The sadness and distress of that day tempered the joy of the first lunar landing.

The staff was developing a FORTRAN program named MOONSHOT. When I first saw the name I took it to be MOON'S HOT before realizing it was MOON SHOT.

That was a very sad day indeed. We lost 3 super hero's due to a small short in a pure oxygen environment. I felt sorry for the technician responsible.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Different!
Picture of mrbill345
posted Hide Post
My family was on vacation and we watched the landing & moonwalk on a little black & white TV in a cabin outside Yellowstone. I'll never forget being crammed around the TV watching the first steps.

“Agnostic, gun owning, conservative, college educated hillbilly”

Posts: 4139 | Location: Middle Finger of WV | Registered: March 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
I wasn't quite here yet. So I will just say my favorite movie about the landing is Sam Neil in The Dish.

Just loved it.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3591 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
I remember it like it was yesterday, Hot July day with a huge floor fan blowing on us. The fan was like a DC-3 prop and sound like it too!

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8357 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
I didn't get to see it on TV.

All that week I was with the local church-sponsored Boy Scout troop that I was a member of, troop 864 in the Tendoy Council, on a backpacking excursion into the Copper Basin, Idaho's primitive area. We knew it was going on, and we looked at the moon each night wondering about what was happening. We finally got the news when we got home.

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jodel-Time
Picture of Mboroman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:
I was installing a computer at the Manned Spacecraft Center in Houston when the launchpad fire took the lives of three Apollo astronauts. The sadness and distress of that day tempered the joy of the first lunar landing.

We once knew a guy who apparently was on the launchpad crew that loaded them into the capsule. My wife worked with his wife and she told us the story. He wouldn't speak of it to anyone as it had messed him up pretty good. Very sad.

Posts: 562 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Watched it on our family's 12 inch Admiral B&W TV.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of C-Dubs
posted Hide Post
I'm sure I was watching, but I can't remember a thing.
Might be because I was 2 months old at the time Smile

“I won't be wronged. I won't be insulted. I won't be laid a-hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

Posts: 2863 | Location: SE WI | Registered: October 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FishOn:
Watched it on our family's 12 inch Admiral B&W TV.

Remember when a 36" console TV was a sign of affluence (and they ran on tubes)?

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Watched it on a 25" b&w DuMont.

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I remember it well. On a family vacation in Wisconsin; watched with some other kids (I was 16) in the living room of the house they rented.

Posts: 2694 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Must be the baby of the group, ha. I'm sure it was on and I was in the room. Launched some pretty big ass Estes rockets in the years following. I've actually been remembering all week. I suppose 50 year anniversary will be a bigger deal.

3 hrs raw footage
https://youtu.be/68qoKefZvNQ

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
The 50th should be a big deal.
Nobody else has been able to do it.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
I remember staying up to watch the landing on our black and white TV. Of course it was all a hoax. Cool

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hoping for better pharmaceuticals
Picture of AZSigs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Still have copies of the local newspaper showing the event.

That's cool.

Getting shot is no achievement. Hitting your enemy is. NRA Endowment Member . NRA instructor

Posts: 8753 | Location: Peoria, Arizona | Registered: April 02, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative in Nor Cal constantly swimming
up stream
Picture of PR64
posted Hide Post
I remember watching it....I was 5

-----------------------------------
Get your guns b4 the Dems take them away
Sig P-229
Sig P-220 Combat

Posts: 3484 | Location: Nor Cal | Registered: January 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Quite significant day for me, and somewhat emotional. I was at my grandfather's cabin on an in Lake of the Woods, Ontario. I was 14 and my grandfather would send my town by boat for groceries, building supplies, and to the post office. My younger cousin went with me that day and we noticed the TV on in one of the touristy trinket shops. I made the decision to wait until the "Giant leap for mankind" before heading back 6 miles by water. I knew it would worry my grandfather greatly, but decided it was worth it.

We arrived at the cabin after dark and everybody in bed. I expected my grandfather to be mad and worried. He just wanted to hear about what we saw. I felt so mature that he trusted me, and glad I made the right decision. My cousin appreciates that we stayed after all these years.

Another bonus was watching it with a mix of Canadians and Americans. Maybe my pride read it wrong, but it seemed everybody in the room knew for certain that night that Americans were something special.

Posts: 7458 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of drew3630
posted Hide Post
I was a teenager and I remember watching Neil Armstrong and Buzz Aldrin doing their moon walk.
It's a little sad but for a lot of people today, the moon landings were ancient history.

Posts: 245 | Location: Northern California | Registered: June 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I still have the LIFE magazine that chronicled the event. At the time I also setup my Pentax Spotmatic camera and shot the scenes off the B&W tv screen. How times have changed. One can talk to anyone in almost any place on earth at any time-yet sadly it would only be in echo chambers.

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post