SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Overpaying on Auctions Sites
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overpaying on Auctions Sites Login/Join 
posted
I see people paying more for used guns then what they can purchase it for new. I see it pretty often actually. When you add taxes like on gunbroker, shipping fees, transfer fees you are REALLY getting bent over. Do you think it's just people who wanna "win"?

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I don't use GB, but recall seeing this on eBay way back when. I think in some cases people get caught up in the emotional rush of "competing" for an item.

I don't recall the item I was interested in on eBay, but a couple of folks were bidding on it. I dropped out when the price got too high. The guy who ended up "winning" paid more for it than if he'd gone to the store and bought the same item brand new.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6400 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CoolRich59:
I don't use GB, but recall seeing this on eBay way back when. I think in some cases people get caught up in the emotional rush of "competing" for an item.

I don't recall the item I was interested in on eBay, but a couple of folks were bidding on it. I dropped out when the price got too high. The guy who ended up "winning" paid more for it than if he'd gone to the store and bought the same item brand new.

Exactly....it's almost comical to watch. I feel like telling the "winner", you're the big loser here. It's a head scratcher.

Posts: 752 | Registered: January 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Man and compettion. I often think these sites use paid shills to drive up the price.

Posts: 17228 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Could it be that they get an endorphin rush like gambling addicts get when they win? I'm just throwing shit at the wall to see what sticks. Wink

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cajunmuscle:
I see people paying more for used guns then what they can purchase it for new.

Yup. I used to see that all the time on eBay. Finally, after several times seeing something in which I was interested go for more on eBay than I'd pay for new on Amazon or whatever, I simply stopped participating in auctions on eBay.

People can be idiots.

I think I've told the story here, before. There was this estate sale with a lot of woodworking tools. There was a particular Stanley Bailey Combination Plane that appeared complete and was in very nice condition.

Unfortunately, there was another guy had his eye on the same plane. We got into a bidding war. At some point the bidding hit numbers that the plane's value simply didn't justify. (By then we'd attracted an audience.) We eyeballed each other and it became clear to me this guy was going to bid whatever he had to to win that auction. The plane was no longer his goal--winning the auction was. I bid three or four more times just to see how far he'd go. When it got to way beyond what the plane was worth and I thought "On the off chance he relents and I win this thing, I'll regret it," I let him have it.

Yeah, that was kind of asshole-ish, but I wasn't doing it to be an asshole. It was an impromptu study of human nature. I was honestly curious. I think it was that experience that prepared me for eBay, several years later.

When participating in an auction you have to be able to put ego aside. You have to not let winning the auction become the goal. (Unless that's why you're really there and you've money to burn.) Establish a number and have the self-control not to exceed some reasonable margin over that number. Otherwise it's best to just stay away from auctions altogether.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
there is also the issue of availability, when you can't get something locally or within a reasonable distance, buying it and paying a bit more happens.

In Daytona at bike week you see people buying motorcycles from Destination (Rossmeyer) HD, paying more than MSRP, generally they have availability, selection, an instant gratification.

You want a purple CVO Street Glide? only a few hundred made that year, and boom prices you'll pay go up because you can't get it in England, or Bumfugg NE.... Plus, alcohol....

Posts: 23414 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m convinced that 50-60% maybe more on Gunbroker are shill bidders driving up the price.

Posts: 33787 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
it became clear to me this guy was going to bid whatever he had to to win that auction. The plane was no longer his goal--winning the auction was.

When participating in an auction you have to be able to put ego aside. You have to not let winning the auction become the goal.

At every one of the 3 estate auction I've been to over the past decade, there's been an incident of someone letting their ego get the best of them, running up the bid on an item (usually a gun or a higher end tool) to an absurd amount in their headlong rush to win, and then after winning and realizing what they've done, throwing a fit like a petulant child and storming out without paying. The items are then reoffered and sell for normal prices.

These have all been grown-ass men in their 30s-60s. So there's a decent chunk of the population who are clearly not cut out for auctions.

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I go on Ebay for something, I only highlight the "buy it now" option so I can avoid the whole bidding thing. Its just less hassle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I literally just saw this happen. It was for a watch that sells for $475, new. The company only makes runs of 500. It just sold for $660. Buyer didn’t know these were so popular that the company produced another run of 500 and they should be ready to ship to AD’s next week.

Posts: 17119 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have mostly assumed that the buyers are just ignorant. Maybe something isn’t available locally, and when they search online Gunbroker shows up, and when looking they assume “well, that’s the going price”.

Part of why I say that is because I see ridiculous prices on local forums and classified ads, and those are not auctions. Now part of that is people who don’t want to buy from a dealer, and I guess they’re willing to pay a premium. I don’t know what else to think when I routinely see guns listed for above street price.

Posts: 3435 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
You should see the prices people bid for cars on Bring A Trailer. Sometimes the prices are good, but sometimes they are ridiculously high.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10489 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Been there. Done that.

I wanted a 22 Magnum revolver from North American Arms that was originally at $495. I couldn't find one at the time so I bid $705 on GB and won.

I thought I had bid too much, but paid anyway. I still think the original version of the Ranger is better than the Ranger II.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I went to a live gun auction for a gun store that went bankrupt many years ago.

For an hour or so, they sold a bunch of guns, each one for more than MSRP.

Finally during a lull, I yell "don't you people realize you're paying more than full price for these guns?"

Dead quiet for a few seconds, then they went back to overbidding.

I went home. People just "have to win".

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Been there. Done that.

I wanted a 22 Magnum revolver from North American Arms that was originally at $495. I couldn't find one at the time so I bid $705 on GB and won.

If ya gotta have it I guess ya gotta have it. Who am I to gainsay your choices? But I struggle mightily with paying more than MSRP for something. (I have no idea what are the rarity and desirability of the revolver you mention.)

Perhaps not the same thing, but, when I was in an LGS, recently, he brought out a very nice out-of-production Kimber 1911 in 9mm. Slide-to-frame was flawless and operated like buttah. Trigger very nice--broke like glass. Sights suited my eyes. Felt great in the hand.

He wanted $900. MSRP was $760 and street prices were as low as $100 under that. At $800 he probably would've had me, but I could not bring myself to going $900.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of olfuzzy
posted Hide Post
While I was stationed in Hawaii I went to an auction being held by US Customs. They had everything from clothes to a motorcycle still in the shipping crate. As you went in they gave you a pamphlet listing everything they had and what the value of it was. I left after about an hour and nothing sold for less than the listed value and most well over it.

Posts: 5181 | Location: 20 miles north of hell | Registered: November 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't get involved in bidding wars, but have paid full boat a couple times for hard-to-find / discontinued stuff.

Case in point, last year $1,300 for a S&W 686 3" (1986) because the wife was in her revolver moment & figured it would be perfect for her. Nope, too heavy.

Consigned it to a shop in Colorado who are active on GB, they ended up getting $2,200 for it. Eek

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1936 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve noticed this has greatly increased this last year. I overpaid for a German Sig P220. After all said & done I’m satisfied with my purchase. I think buying/bidding frenzy is part of the equation but I also think there are a TON of new gun owners that have no idea of the actual value of what they are bidding on.

Hopefully when the Progressives defund the police in their communities it will result in such safe neighborhoods that gun owners will flood the market with their firearms, parts and accessories they no longer need—driving back down prices. Wink

Posts: 192 | Registered: June 06, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Yep, guns, cars, homes, property, boats, you name it. It will come back to bit them. The bigger the price tag, the bigger the hurt. I have no question about it coming.

If over paying or buying at the peak it will hurt.

No matter how you try to justify buying it.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19172 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post