SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Overpaying on Auctions Sites
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Overpaying on Auctions Sites Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I use gunbroker but I don't compete. I bid the highest I'm willing to go which, in aggregate, amounts to less than I would have to pay locally for a similar used item. Most auctions I don't win. I did accidentally pick up a G20 this way recently. I found an auction for a Glock 10mm that was clear the pool of bidders were placing un-serious bids. The gun had a few days left so I bid a number significantly higher than it had been but far below its real value even for a local pick up. The idea was that surely someone would outbid me as the auction close drew near. Well, no one did. So I picked up a G20 for a sweet deal. Plenty of other fish have gotten away because I don't let auction sites excite my sense of competition and avarice.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s human, competitive nature, overtaking rationality.

My example: many years ago was a workshop-woodwork tools auction. Two guys got into a bidding war for a Craftsman drill press, not particularly vintage or otherwise special. To my mind both bidders came with the intention of scoring that particular item, probably looking for good price but when the other guy wanted it, well.....

With each escalating bid, the crowd chuckled and tittered, knowing full well the bids were well above MSRP and that just less than five miles away, there’s a fully stocked Sears.

Bill Gullette

Posts: 1526 | Location: Behind the Pine Curtain  | Registered: March 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’m turned off by auctions. I can’t even recall ever placing a bid. The idea of constantly checking an auction for a week only to find out I didn’t win and have to start over is ridiculous.

Posts: 5416 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Been there. Done that.

I wanted a 22 Magnum revolver from North American Arms that was originally at $495. I couldn't find one at the time so I bid $705 on GB and won.

If ya gotta have it I guess ya gotta have it. Who am I to gainsay your choices? But I struggle mightily with paying more than MSRP for something. (I have no idea what are the rarity and desirability of the revolver you mention.)

I think I did okay, now they go for three grand if you can find one.

Posts: 9144 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I'm an eBay sniper and not ashamed to say so. I know what stuff I want should go for and I am a cheapskate. I look for stuff that's misspelled or listed incorrectly. I look for "needs repair" or "not working" or "for parts only." My #1 guitar amp is an eBay score for $627 listed as "not working, needs repair." I sniped it with the intention to repair and flip. But I got it for about 1/3 of what they go for in working order. It just needed new tubes, had it running five minutes after unpacking it. I'm on the hunt for another one now. No rush, it will pop up.

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Can’t snipe on gunbroker. Every bid after the last minutes of an auction extends the auction by 15 mins.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
My #1 guitar amp is an eBay score for $627 listed as "not working, needs repair."

Rick, I do the same thing. I set timers or alerts on auctions for stuff I want and I don't bother with it until the last minute. I bid in the last thirty seconds, if I can.

But I gotta ask, what was the amp? Big Grin

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of policetruck
posted Hide Post
I loathe gunbroker, but also have to use it sometimes. I'm certain I have a hard time selling things locally because people see it cheaper on gun broker. They forget to factor in shipping and transfer fees.

As a dealer/seller, I also have to pay gunbroker a %. I routinely see new guns being sold at the same cost I'm paying for them. How am I supposed to compete when I also need to make a (small) profit and cover the fees. I guess that's why my stuff sits for a while.

www.landwarfare.net
Veteran owned 07 FFL/ 02 SOT
LandWarfareNow@gmail.com
Instagram @land.warfare

Posts: 1186 | Location: Va | Registered: July 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I’m convinced that 50-60% maybe more on Gunbroker are shill bidders driving up the price.

I agree

GB 'says' they police that but I am skeptical.

-------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
I’m convinced that 50-60% maybe more on Gunbroker are shill bidders driving up the price.

I agree

GB 'says' they police that but I am skeptical.

-------------------

I have seen what appears to be shill bidding on GB as well. One of the things that I now do on any auction I’m willing to bid on, is research the other bidders I’m up against. How much feedback, look at other closed auctions, etc. anything that looks out of the ordinary I find it more useful to bow out. I have a good idea of the value and current prices and only bid what I’m willing to spend. Getting caught in a bidding war because of ego is stupid for everyone but the seller. The last gun I bid and one was an older S&W K frame that I paid what I thought was at the top end of its value, but haven’t seen another similar one go for less than $300+ on GB.

Posts: 2951 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I've talked about this with my local shop who gets a lot of transfers in. A few of their customers are buying at auction (iAuction) or something. Over market on the gun, 18% buyers premium and then tax/shipping/transfers. They end up half or double what they should be.

Yeah, we couldn't use logic either to figure out why. Maybe just don't know any better.

Posts: 3082 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When I wanted a IWI Tavor X95, I could not get one locally.

I went on to gun broker.

One seller had then, but when I bid the same guy kept bidding them up.

I noticed if he won the gun went back on sale very quickly, either he was a shill or a bot upping the bid.

I found one from another seller at a fair price,
and bought from him.

I get stuff on eBay, I set a price in my mind that is my top bid.

I usually bid a low bid at the beginning to track my object and bid at the last minute with my top bid. If someone goes over they are paying more than I think its worth to me.

They are welcome to it. I move on.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I’m pretty sure we’ve discussed Bring a Trailer in the forum. I’ve been following a few car auctions there, and even got involved in one. I’m amazed at the prices many of these cars are bringing.

Posts: 13237 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:

Consigned it to a shop in Colorado who are active on GB, they ended up getting $2,200 for it. Eek
Question about this: What fee does the shop take for the consignment sale?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30647 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Victim of Life's
Circumstances
Picture of doublesharp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by soflaac:

Consigned it to a shop in Colorado who are active on GB, they ended up getting $2,200 for it. Eek

Avg cosign rate for the online only GB sellers I know is 15% and that includes shipping.

Posts: 4695 | Location: Sunnyside of Louisville | Registered: July 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
quote:
My #1 guitar amp is an eBay score for $627 listed as "not working, needs repair."

Rick, I do the same thing. I set timers or alerts on auctions for stuff I want and I don't bother with it until the last minute. I bid in the last thirty seconds, if I can.

But I gotta ask, what was the amp? Big Grin

Marshall 1987xl

Posts: 3523 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Their conignment fee is pretty much the standard 15%, bearing in mind I had a few $$ in shipping / transfer to them.

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1935 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Marshall 1987xl

Jesus, man! Nice score! Eek

Posts: 17113 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
I used to see this behavior at in person auctions, where occasionally people would bid the price up well beyond what the item could be acquired for new. These people actually had to be motivated enough to wake up in the morning, drive to the auction site, and then hang around long enough to bid on the items they were interested in.

Now these people can do it from the comfort of their own couch, and these situations have risen dramatically.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15712 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
Angry spite bidding can get costly. But fuck you, I won!!! How dare you bid against me!!! Big Grin

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post