SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Al Franken delays "resigning"
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Al Franken delays "resigning" Login/Join 
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted
technically he didn't set a date, but I'm thinking he's trying to last out the year to get the bennies of 2018.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4588 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
The only reason he announced when did was to get ahead of the Alabama Senate seat election. That's it. It wouldn't surprise me at this point if he changed his mind.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30456 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Words could not describe how happy it would make me to see Franken dragged from the Senate chamber kicking and screaming (figuratively, of course...) Smile if he refuses to resign.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Info Guru
Picture of BamaJeepster
posted Hide Post
I think he's just trying to wait and hope this hysteria blows over and people forget about him. Balze is right - the DNC forced him to announce it before the Moore election so the dems could claim the moral high ground. If he runs the clock long enough he can just say that he has 'reconsidered' and decided to stay.

“Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passions, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence.”
- John Adams

Posts: 29408 | Location: In the red hinterlands of Deep Blue VA | Registered: June 29, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Governor has appointed his replacement and she is in DC for orientation meetings.

Posts: 8966 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
His Governor has already tapped his replacement which would make things pretty messy and nasty should he renege.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16263 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
he's gone.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10952 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
he's gone.

Never underestimate the power of hubris, especially when it comes to a democrat.

To quote George C. Scott in Patton, "God I Love it so". Smile

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
His Governor has already tapped his replacement which would make things pretty messy and nasty should he renege.

Tapped?

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5692 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lastmanstanding
posted Hide Post
quote:

The Governor did not realize that the state Senate President Senator Michelle Fischbach who is a republican will fill Tina Smith's spot the current Lt. Governor who Dayton has appointed to fill Franken's seat. Fischbach will be Lt. Governor and still maintain her spot in the Senate according to a 1898 court ruling.
The Dem's argue according to state constitution this is not allowed.

If Dayton sees a way Franken can stand pat I think he would not have a problem with keeping things just the way they are for now.

Here is a link that sorts it out.

Aside from that the optics of Franken not resigning at this point would be very bad for the Dems going forward.
Trump would tweet him to death within a week.

"Fixed fortifications are monuments to mans stupidity" - George S. Patton

Posts: 8540 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: June 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Should he stay or should he go now?
Should he stay or should he go now?
If he goes, there will be trouble
And if he stays it will be double

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree that Franken is hoping the attention will die down, and he will try to hang onto his seat. That easy money and the perks are hard to come by, especially if you have no skills.

-c1steve

Posts: 4068 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mbinky:
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
he's gone.

Never underestimate the power of hubris, especially when it comes to a democrat.

To quote George C. Scott in Patton, "God I Love it so". Smile

I don't think Franken has to leave even if his replacement has been chosen.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29736 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's not easy being me
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Krazeehorse:
quote:

Tapped?

I see what you did there! Eek Big Grin

Posts: 2769 | Location: Middle TN | Registered: March 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
Unless he actually resigns or an ethics committee votes to expel, there's no mechanism to remove him. He quits when he wants.

Posts: 4090 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He was never going to resign and wont unless forced out by Democrat (and Republican) and media pressure.

Posts: 1454 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
I wish my congress, my government, my country wasn't a damn punch line to a sad joke.

Posts: 6408 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
We ( all anti-Progs) should $pons$or a giant Al Franken Resigns countdown clock in Times Square

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15916 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
When you fall, I will be there to catch you -With love, the floor
posted Hide Post
Let him stay. then the Democrats can defend their acceptance of a admitted sexual offender.

Richard Scalzo
Epping, NH

http://www.bigeastakitarescue.net

Posts: 5803 | Location: Epping, NH | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rscalzo:
Let him stay. then the Democrats can defend their acceptance of a admitted sexual offender.

The demorats had no problem doing just that with Bill Clinton!!

Posts: 6633 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post