SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are these phones just really that good at listening to us or is it just pure coincidence?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are these phones just really that good at listening to us or is it just pure coincidence? Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
All I can think about now is midget rodeo clown milf pr0n.......but I don't dare say it out loud.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29723 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And my children and grandchildren wonder why I still use a flip phone.

PC

Posts: 1342 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
thanks AK

Posts: 53221 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Why don’t you fix your little
problem and light this candle
Picture of redstone
posted Hide Post
You know why I know this is happening. I dont give a care for what google and apple 'report' to the media. I watch my own students use the sdk to write slick scripts that do this using software built into android. They get it in your phone and the rest is history.

Bottom line, read the EULA. Yes, they are getting better about policing what the apps are doing but Google does this to make money, and they make money through ad revenue.

And no, I dont teach at a Gun forum, but I do frequent one.

This business will get out of control. It will get out of control and we'll be lucky to live through it. -Rear Admiral (Lower Half) Joshua Painter Played by Senator Fred Thompson

Posts: 3592 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, a few days ago I asked a friend if she ever made poached eggs. As I just can't seem to get it right no matter what I do. She told me that she has never made poached eggs.

Now she tells me she keeps getting recipes, and pictures on Pinterest.....

ARman

Posts: 3156 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
Well, a few days ago I asked a friend if she ever made poached eggs. As I just can't seem to get it right no matter what I do. She told me that she has never made poached eggs.

Now she tells me she keeps getting recipes, and pictures on Pinterest.....

ARman

Did you ask her in person? How many recipes have you searched for?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9163 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PCWyoming:
And my children and grandchildren wonder why I still use a flip phone.

PC
Me, too, and it's always OFF unless I'm making a call. My desktop computer doesn't have a microphone or camera, either. And I won't have one of those listening devices in my home.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
I'm the odd man out. Mobil phone is just that. No contact number listed, no FB, Amazon. It is a phone for my with to call me and me to call her. I read the news once a day and that's it. Any social media interests, email and such, are done on home Mac. Period.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
For those who are not aware.

Ring Is Using Its Customers’ Doorbell Camera Video For Ads. It Says It’s Allowed To

https://law.stanford.edu/press...says-its-allowed-to/

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4834 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:

Ring Is Using Its Customers’ Doorbell Camera Video For Ads. It Says It’s Allowed To

...and sharing with LE.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:
quote:

...and sharing with LE.

If I trusted these Tech Companies to do the right thing, I probably wouldn't mind.
I don't trust any of these companies. It's open season on our privacy with a Government blessing.

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4834 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I trusted these Tech Companies to do the right thing, I probably wouldn't mind.
I don't trust any of these companies. It's open season on our privacy with a Government blessing.

Totally agree.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Can't we run a test for this? (not me of course, I have a flip phone).
Say we pick a product, here in this thread. Everyone read that product out loud while their smarty phones are near by.

For example (read out loud):
"I need more Hanes underwear."
"I love Hanes underwear."
"I'm out of my Hanes underwear."
"The cowboy midget rodeo clown in that MILF video was wearing Hanes underwear."

It should become apparent over the next few days.
You know, for science and all.

Posts: 7372 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Every I talk about something to buy my coworker starts getting ads on his FB. We have unlimited service so we're never hooked up to work's wifi. I have airdrop turned off. My bluetooth is only connected to my glucose monitoring device, nothing else.

Big Grin

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8026 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
Every I talk about something to buy my coworker starts getting ads on his FB. We have unlimited service so we're never hooked up to work's wifi. I have airdrop turned off. My bluetooth is only connected to my glucose monitoring device, nothing else. Big Grin
Bluetooth? What's that?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
You should understand that this was happening with OnStar navigation back in the 1990s. This is nothing new.

Anyone ever wonder how Oracle got it start as a database company? Federal contracts for surveillance captures in the IC.

My wife car is equipped with Onstar, we don't subscribe, it WILL respond to an emergency situation because it's on. And if it's on, it's using GPS to track you. The operator has come online to check us when they inadvertently got a signal we might be in distress.

Same with your cell phone, at the rudimentary level they can see what tower you are pinging in series to a destination. So, with Onstar and two cell phones, traveling to the Gulf Coast is obvious. Oh look we stayed part way there and went shopping at flea markets. The car moved, parked. We got out, walking, in an older downtown area, then back to the car after two hours, car moved.

It's not rocket surgery, the issue is how important are you? Did you just shoot up a subway car with the security cameras off? What about the cam in the subway car, which phones left the scene immediately, what persons of interest passed any other cam, does that match a description, Hey, we got a potential, verifying, it might be this guy, all these are similar items, no others like that, what's his social media, Oh look, he's posted about these issues.

On a daily basis most of us don't slide under the radar, we are just one of 320 million blips on it. There's so much clutter it takes a good reason to even focus. Are YOU or ME being individually tracked? At this level, not really. It takes a lot of people to track a lot of people, there aren't millions employed to do that. Only the person of interest gets that scrutiny for as long as it's needed.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am amazed that people intentionally install apps on their phone designed to harvest information on themselves and their contacts.

I'm even more amazed when they realize that they are being monitored, and they don't have a clue why.

Posts: 278 | Registered: October 31, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
Wanna read something really creepy? Last summer I'm out in the desert with a retired NYC cop and a retired UHP sergeant (I think that was his rank). We are shooting at 900+ yard gongs. Can't really hear my phone so I turned it off. I mean off, off. Not just asleep. I put it into an empty ammo box and set it in the shade in the cab of my truck with the window down. We commence shooting.

About 20 mins into our day long session, I hear a weird tone coming from my truck. It sounded like a screeching alert type noise. Like an alarm. It was loud enough that we all stopped and turned toward my truck. I walked over and the sound was coming from inside the ammo box. I pulled it open, slipped my phone out and there was a 911 screen up. I put it to my ear and an operator was on the other line. She asked me questions about my location and the gun fire. She was going to send the sheriff out to check on us. I told her who was in our group and we talked her off the ledge.

That was so creepy that we all looked at each other with the WTF expression.

I'm curious. Was the ammo box metal? Was it closed or was the lid open?

Posts: 1316 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
Bluetooth? What's that?

flashguy

Short range wireless communication with a range of around 30 feet or so. One example is your smart phone sending music to wireless earphones.

Another is my phone connecting with my Bronco so that I get hands free phone and texts.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironmike57
posted Hide Post
Some larger stores are using facial recognition for this.

I will say it happened once without my saying a word. Walked in a rural hardware store displaying a unique item out front. Got home and had ads for it.[/QUOTE]

Posts: 1979 | Location: Florida | Registered: July 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post