SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    First "smart gun" actually hits market
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

First "smart gun" actually hits market Login/Join 
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Loretta Weinburg Assemblywoman (d) retired and maybe dead now, for NJ pushed and PASSED this bill:
https://www.newjerseygunlawyer...oves-smart-gun-bill/

Vetoed By Gov Chris Christie:
https://www.nj.com/politics/20...l_smart_gun_bil.html

https://www.teampython.com

Posts: 8400 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
How many happy stories where 'kid defends house and shoots intruders' (and other stories where an unintended good person saves the day with a 3rd party owned weapon) will now have a different ending?
Might be interesting to know if it can be programmed for multiple users.

Posts: 9058 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
New Jersey already has a law (2002) that states as soon as a smart gun is on the market, all guns sold in New Jersey must be equipped with it within 5 years.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
I don’t know how a smart gun law could withstand a Bruen challenge.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
King Nothing
Picture of SigSauerP226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
How many happy stories where 'kid defends house and shoots intruders' (and other stories where an unintended good person saves the day with a 3rd party owned weapon) will now have a different ending?
Might be interesting to know if it can be programmed for multiple users.

The video showed the ability to add temporary or permanent users.

...Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel, is just a freight train coming your way...

Posts: 2448 | Location: Simi Valley, CA | Registered: September 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
New Jersey already has a law (2002) that states as soon as a smart gun is on the market, all guns sold in New Jersey must be equipped with it within 5 years.

The first issue addressed in the video is how that law has already been removed off the books.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16396 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:
quote:

The first issue addressed in the video is how that law has already been removed off the books.

Yes, but what he doesn't reference is that it was replaced with one not quite as draconian, but still not good. With the advent of a commercially viable smart gun all dealers in NJ will be required to carry one. At $1500 per copy that is not a small thing.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1451 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So what happens when you try to fire it from a retention position with dry/dirty hands? The fingerprint reader doesn’t scan and the facial recognition can’t pick up, either. There’s no place to mount a light (for a pistol designed as a bedside gun). It’s a neat exercise in engineering, but I don’t see this being a viable product. As Ian was shooting it he mentioned they had been developing it for years. As he gets a couple of malfunctions, he excuses it as it being a prototype. He then reassures the viewers that when it’s released in the next couple of months the bugs will be worked out. Well if they haven’t worked out the bugs by now, pretty sure another couple of months won’t make a difference. The description of how the trigger/sear interface reminds me of the now defunct Remington 700 EtronX.

Posts: 177 | Registered: May 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When the Secret Service deems these acceptable and mandates them for duty maybe we can talk. Until then fuck off with this nonsense.

Posts: 4284 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
What is the
soup du jour?

posted Hide Post
I have zero interest in "smart" firearms. IF, and I mean, IF "smart" pistols are to be a thing, I think the first sale of "smart" pistols should be the .gov. All federal agencies should be required to use "smart" firearms, particularly the SS and all federally provided protection services for politicians.

The main problem with this idea would be politicians ensuring the tech be as expensive as possible, in order to fleece the American people.

But if anyone should be the Guinea pig of this tech, it should be those who might force this tech on us, down the line.

Posts: 2020 | Location: TX | Registered: October 28, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
Some of us, well probably most of us on this forum, remember the olden days with simple technologies that just worked. While all the computer whiz-bang bluetooth stuff can add function or improve efficiencies of some sort, we all know it doesn't last either due to failure or becoming outdated. It relies on lots of sensors, wiring connectors (very prone to failures), specific firmware edition, cell phone version.

Experience tells me a high-tech firearm is going to have lots of reliability problems. We all know the only reason the elites are pushing this is to make guns far too expensive.

A few things that come to mind that I've had great success with before they were all tech'd up, but poor lifespan or bad operation once they were:

Cars that had distributor points
Lawnmowers with magnetos
Carburetors
Keyed ignition switches on cars
Mechanical trunk lid release
Radios with manual tuning knobs (that moved mechanical tuning devices inside)
Televisions with tuning dials
Key locks on doors
Home thermostats with bimetal mechanical sensor and mechanical switch
Home furnaces with mechanical solenoids and switches
Clothes washing machines and dryers with mechanical controls (last forever and easy to repair)
Guitar effects pedals and headphone amps with mechanical pots and switches
Vacuum tube amplifiers (or the basic discrete transistor versions)
35mm film cameras

Posts: 9483 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kent j
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few things that come to mind that I've had great success with before they were all tech'd up, but poor lifespan or bad operation once they were:

Cars that had distributor points
Lawnmowers with magnetos
Carburetors
Keyed ignition switches on cars
Mechanical trunk lid release
Radios with manual tuning knobs (that moved mechanical tuning devices inside)
Televisions with tuning dials
Key locks on doors
Home thermostats with bimetal mechanical sensor and mechanical switch
Home furnaces with mechanical solenoids and switches
Clothes washing machines and dryers with mechanical controls (last forever and easy to repair)
Guitar effects pedals and headphone amps with mechanical pots and switches
Vacuum tube amplifiers (or the basic discrete transistor versions)
35mm film cameras

Amen brother, I still have and use many of those things. And what if an EMP hits, will those guns still work? My truck will still run and my 30-30 will still kill a deer and my sigs will still protect me and my family.

Regards, Kent j

You can learn something from everyone you meet, If nothing else you can learn you don't want to be like them
It's only racist to those who want it to be.
It's a magazine, clips are for potato chips and hair

Posts: 294 | Location: Southern Indiana | Registered: December 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I'm not driving any electric Goddamned car and I'm not using any electric Goddamned gun.

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I still miss manual windows in my vehicle, I don't need a smart gun.

Posts: 3471 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I still miss manual windows in my vehicle...
I still have them.

Posts: 107750 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
This is the only "Smartgun" I'm interested in...

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30435 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by mark60:
I still miss manual windows in my vehicle...
I still have them.

So do I. And manual locks. The biggest problem I've had with that truck is the stupid electronic passlock security system that GM put in there for some reason...nothing like trying to go somewhere in your perfectly functional vehicle and not being able to start it because of a worn sensor that makes the stupid computer think you're trying to steal your own truck. And why they felt the need to install that "feature" in a base-model work truck I'll never understand.

I just had to rewire my lawnmower today because the stupid safety switch malfunctioned and refused to engage the PTO. It added an hour to getting the lawn mowed, and I burnt the crap out of my right index finger when I tried to attach what should have been a dead wire but was energized because the switch was stuck open.

This nany-state shit not only causes it's own reliability problems, but also makes everybody less safe through conditioned complacency. I can't stand it.

Posts: 8671 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post