SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the next size up from a Ruger LCP?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the next size up from a Ruger LCP? Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
Grandson's girlfriend, (soon to be granddaughter-in-law) is looking for a .380 for carry. She's an avid deer hunter and used to big centerfire rifles, so she's not a neophyte.

I think an LCP might be a bit too small to shoot consistently due to minimal grip size among other things.

Needs to be light and concealable. Da Evil Count Glockula is on the no-no list for whatever reasons and .380 is pretty much locked in.

Bigger Ruger? Springfield? SIG?

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My opinion, next size up from LCP is the Sig P365 or the Taurus GX4. God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3056 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I pocket carry the LCP 380 Max, more rounds, have pretty good size hands, figure its for those up close encounters where a small firearm is quickly and easily used.

It's small size is the reason I bought it as it's easily put into my pocket...

Agree next size would be the P365 in 380.

Posts: 23244 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Mrs. Flash carries the Glock and it's smaller than the P365 I carry. It's also lower capacity, though.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
At just under 13 0zs & If you can find a Springfield 911 in .380? The slide is pretty easy to rack & is a solid performer in 380..

Posts: 13796 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Kahr CW380 is about the same size but shoots softer. Much better trigger too.

Posts: 33608 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIG 238

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never forget the 13+1 Beretta 84 if she has larger hands & can carry a larger gun.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4251 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Sig 238 is a mighty nice gun. I have the 938 which is extremely close in size and carry it daily in a DeSantis pocket holster. The *38 series is also a pleasure to shoot.

Next in line for me would be the Ruger LCP Max. I have a friend who has one, and it's a very good gun.

Sig makes the 365 in .380, but I hear it can be very difficult to take down, particularly the SAS version.

The Smith M&P Bodyguard may be worth looking at as well.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
You might take a gander at the Kimber micros. I wear one in an ankle holster and it's comfortable as can be (wearing and shooting).

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Thanks all. Info passed on, I'll let you know the outcome if/when.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15181 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
The grip really does help. Just a consideration. If you get the lcp, make sure the serial number is "no dash", much better trigger.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Doesn't the LC9 come in 380?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
In .380, the P365, Glock 42 and S&W Shield EZ came first to mind.

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got a regular LCP and LCP max which in my hands the max is the winner, if she wants something bigger since the Glock is out, I’m lean towards the Shield EZ

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of friends that own Bersa Thunder’s in .380 and are happy with them in terms of shootability and reliability.

I think that they are available in different frame materials so that would impact weight (obviously).

I found this article comparing the Ruger LCP Max vs the Bersa Thunder Combat -

https://www.handgunhero.com/co...nder-380-combat-plus

The article links to others comparisons of popular makes and models in this compact ‘form factor’.

Rob

Posts: 3466 | Location: Lehigh Valley, PA | Registered: March 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

I believe that would be called the LC380

Posts: 7415 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

It does, the LC380, I have one and exactly the same dimensions and weight as the LC9. Weighs about 17 oz if I remember right. They are nice pistols, DAO, triggers are a little rough until you break them in some. Might be a good choice for this new gal shooter.

Posts: 921 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anush:
Never forget the 13+1 Beretta 84 if she has larger hands & can carry a larger gun.

This. Or the Model 85. Tisas makes an excellent Model 84 clone. Requires holster carry, but the larger size lends to better shootabiity.

But expect to pay a premium for the scarce newerones.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigSentry:
(nice pic)

Apologies for the drift, but... what's that holster?

God bless America.

Posts: 13427 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post