SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cruise Tips? Carnival Sunshine
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cruise Tips? Carnival Sunshine Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Another good way to get an idea of the types of cruising there are is to watch Youtube.
There are several good reviewer's I watch. They give a good perspective on the cruise lines,their ships and whats on them and the islands/ports they visit.

The ones I watch are
The shiplife
La Lido Loca
Dons Family Vacations
Tips For Travelers

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 71 TRUCK,

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2553 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Luxury (large/medium ships, restaurant dining, repeat/experienced cruise travelers, curated activities, country club atmosphere)
Viking, Cunard, Windstar, Crystal, Silver Sea
I would add Seabourn to this list along with Regent Seven Seas. Take off Crystal; they went bankrupt earlier this year. Frown

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
^^^Yeah, hey HAD an awesome Mediterranean cruise on a large yacht that the wife and I were planning on doing after the rona Frown

Posts: 5294 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
FYI - If you are a Carnival Corporation & plc shareholder and hold a minimum of 100 shares of stock, you can receive onboard credit per stateroom based on your number of sailing days. The cruise line brands include Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Seabourn, Cunard, Costa, Aida and P&O (North American, Continental Europe, UK and Australia brands).

For North America brands, this equates to $250 for sailings of 14 days or longer, $100 for sailings of 7-13 days and $50 for sailing of 6 days or less.

This information can be found on page three of their 2021 Annual Report.

Posts: 9001 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
^^^Yeah, hey HAD an awesome Mediterranean cruise on a large yacht that the wife and I were planning on doing after the rona Frown
The Endeavor?

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Don't recall, it only had occupancy of like 40-50 passengers

Posts: 5294 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Crystal Esprit - 62 pax (at the time)? It got sold to Lindblad Expeditions and renamed the National Geographic Islander II in 2021. Looks like it's doing Galápagos sailings.

No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Sounds about right but a search says this ship didn't sail in the Mediterranean.

Now I'm not even sure I have the cruise line name right. I'll See if I can find it

Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Last I knew, the Crystal Esprit was sailing in the Med. Before Crystal went kaput. Frown

Crystal's website and cruise listings are long gone.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
Luxury (large/medium ships, restaurant dining, repeat/experienced cruise travelers, curated activities, country club atmosphere)
Viking, Cunard, Windstar, Crystal, Silver Sea
I would add Seabourn to this list along with Regent Seven Seas. Take off Crystal; they went bankrupt earlier this year. Frown

Good to know.
Too bad about Crystal, I think most active travelers knew there was going to be fall-out from all the pandemic induced stoppages, with cruise lines taking it square between the legs.

Posts: 14563 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
IMHO, I believe it was more a management issue rather than a covid issue for Crystal.

Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
The best thing I did on a 15 day cruise to Hawaii was to pre-purchase the all-you-can drink pass for $850. I have no doubt that I doubled my money. Big Grin

Posts: 515 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys for you tips and experience! I'm going to go through all of it tonight. Trying to wrap up work so it doesn't blow up when I get back.

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7056 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
While a bit older most of the info is still relevant (funny there's a part about Norovirus and sanitizer); while they're focused on European cruising, a lot of it applies to other parts of the world as cruising is a business and these companies are global. The part he talks about the aggressive up-selling is something you will see at the mass-market cruise lines. In general, the less you pay upfront, the more you COULD be paying later on for various activities/services.

Below is Yelp for cruising, take each review with a grain of salt, its only a single data-point for you to make your decision.
https://www.cruisecritic.com

Posts: 14563 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you are into podcasts, cruise radio has interviews with people who have been on the actual ships. I prefer Royal though I haven't done Carnival. My folks have and from what they said I think its for some people though maybe not others, depends on what you like.

Cruise critic is a great resource. Not just the website but the forum as well.

You'll hear this a lot but it's probably worth repeating, try not to get something right under the gym, a large restaurant, a dance floor, night club or near the elevators.

Find out more about the rooms and where they are on the ship. For example, a balcony is bigger or smaller depending on where it is on the ship. If you get one at the very back on port or starboard it is likely bigger just because they have extra space and cant fill it with anything. My balcony on Bliss was about 1/3 to 1/2 bigger just because of where it was.

I strongly recommend going atleast balcony. Its a bigger room, gives parents a nice little place to escape but still be around and the views are great. Especially in these stupid days if someone gets quarantined or something like that atleast you have the balcony. On the ships I've been on, the door locks are up high and the balcony rails are pretty high up as well. My poor buddy did an inside as his wife was worried about the kids flying off the balcony but there was a huge lock up about head level on the slider. Not a concern with my kids anyways but by the time they can open the door, they have the common sense not to try anything dumb. You'd have to want to go off the balcony.

If you go balcony or suite, consider what side its on and what direction the ship is going. If you are, for example, cruising past a landmark or feature then you'll be able to see it from your balcony depending on if your balcony is on the proper side. Also if you get one on a protruding wing and are on the front of the "wing" then it will be really windy.

Have a great time, let us know how it went, and I do recommend doing some research, which it sounds like you are doing, and maybe checking out a few other lines if Carnival doesn't do it for you.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Once you move up to a balcony, you won't go back.

paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:

Funny that I completely disagree. Time spent in my cabin, not sleeping, or showering and dressing, is usually about 10 minutes. Never found the balcony worth it.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12405 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Be sure to get a cabin on the starboard side, to avoid the port noise complaint.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30541 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tgtshuter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Be sure to get a cabin on the starboard side, to avoid the port noise complaint.

Big Grin

Posts: 711 | Location: SC, USA | Registered: October 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get busy living
or get busy dying!
Picture of heathtx
posted Hide Post
quote:

This. You (and your wife) can do whatever you like on your own private balcony, wink, wink......

Posts: 1233 | Location: Rockwall County (God's Country) TX | Registered: February 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post