SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New motorcycle day (BMW 1250 GSA)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New motorcycle day (BMW 1250 GSA) Login/Join 
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted
It's been about 6 years since I've owned a bike, and never in my life a brand new one. That changed yesterday!

Been eyeing the BMW 1250 GSA's for years and finally pulled the trigger on the final year of production. I'm absolutely blown away by the tech on these bikes and I think I'm in love. The electronic suspension is out of this world. Went with the "Triple black" paint scheme. Already started a few mods yesterday evening with a headlight protector from the UK with a yellow DRL cover and put yellow covers on the fog lights. All yellowed out for hi viz during the day. Have some black aluminum cases in the mail and I'm looking forward to doing other little mods. Hard not to stare at it in the garage and even harder not to take it out!

At the dealer with 2 miles on the clock:

Lights:

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
That looks simply awesome.

Congratulations. Enjoy it and stay safe.

Posts: 7353 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
That is a sweet looking ride. Congrats.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15833 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the new ride, looks fantastic

Posts: 24341 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Wow, congrats. Smile

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19775 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great bike! From the fine folks who brought you WWII! I miss my BMW.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! I had a 2014 R1200GSA, it a great all around motorcycle and maybe the most capable tourer I've owned. LOL and the most difficult to clean and detail.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Had a 2009 and a 1997. They are great bikes.
Enjoy the ride.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I got back onto a GS (2020 R1250GS) last June and have put about 7k miles on it since then. I rode it from Phoenix to Evansville, IN to NOLA and back to Phoenix in Sept. Rode it to Yuma and back yesterday. There's nothing it can't do. Such a great bike. I think the 1300s are fugly, so I'm probably done with the model after this one and don't know what's next.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Welcome back to the two wheel adventure! Thats a great looking BMW! I love how my R1150GS handles. The big olde GS bikes are nimble as hell and will surprise you on a twisty road. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 2018 GS and currently own a 2020 GSA and the GSA is just a great all around do everything well motorcycle. All the latest and greatest electronic gadgetry, plenty of torque/HP, handles well in the twisties and tons of aftermarket support to farkle to your hearts content.

Posts: 1725 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Oh man, the farkle temptation with these bikes can bankrupt a man. I've restrained myself so far to a phone Ram mount on my handlebars, some amber LEDs on front fork, Hyperlight LEDs for the brake light, Givi aluminum panniers and Weisser LED turn signal inserts. I'm headed to Germany in a few weeks and may bring home a pair of the OEM Euro LED turn signals. But I really don't plan any further farkles.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
The farkle is extremely strong with these Big Grin I'm sincerely trying to pace myself but I have had what I want picked out for over a year. Sticking with what I deem as necessities for now. Light protectors/bags/taller windshield or clip on (I'm 6' 3"). The rest will come eventually.

quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
I got back onto a GS (2020 R1250GS) last June and have put about 7k miles on it since then. I rode it from Phoenix to Evansville, IN to NOLA and back to Phoenix in Sept. Rode it to Yuma and back yesterday. There's nothing it can't do. Such a great bike. I think the 1300s are fugly, so I'm probably done with the model after this one and don't know what's next.

Tech wise the 1300 is superior but they just didn't do it for me either. Rumor is the 1300 GSA will be very different than the 1300 GS (not just a bigger tank) but we shall see. I'm not an early adopter of vehicles so I would be several years out on one even if liked it.

quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
Welcome back to the two wheel adventure! Thats a great looking BMW! I love how my R1150GS handles. The big olde GS bikes are nimble as hell and will surprise you on a twisty road. Cool

The first BMW I ever had was a 1150RS. Loved that motor. Figured the 1250 would just be more of a good thing, and so far it is Smile

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
This is my third GS. I traded in my S1000R to get this one. I still kind of miss the SKR, but I was behaving so badly on it, I was worried about ending up dead or in jail. Though I have to say the GS likes to be run hard too. If they don't improve that fugly X-dot headlight or if there's not soon a good aftermarket facelift kit for it, I'll go back to the BMW crotch rockets in a few years. The 1300 in its current form is not gonna do it for me ever.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
This is my third GS. I traded in my S1000R to get this one. I still kind of miss the SKR, but I was behaving so badly on it, I was worried about ending up dead or in jail. Though I have to say the GS likes to be run hard too. If they don't improve that fugly X-dot headlight or if there's not soon a good aftermarket facelift kit for it, I'll go back to the BMW crotch rockets in a few years. The 1300 in its current form is not gonna do it for me ever.

Oh man I was eyeing the S1000's and M1000's at the dealership. Like you I think I would get into nothing but trouble...but damn did the all carbon one look amazing.

Imagination and focus
become reality
posted Hide Post
Congratulations! Nice bike!!

Posts: 6738 | Location: Northwest Indiana | Registered: August 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
What panniers are you going with? If the seat proves uncomfortable, Seat Concepts makes a few different ones for that bike, in different heights too.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I really like the stock seat. I've done 750 miles in a day on it and was fine. I have that mesh on it that's supposed to help with cooling and keeping your butt dry in rain. Not sure if it does that, but it is comfortable.

Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Hopefully the seat works well for Andy as well. For me it was too soft and felt sloped downward toward the tank. and slightly crowned rather than dished, widthwise. The SC seat was about 2" wider and flat, firmer, w/o the forward slope. But I'm kind of a wimp when it comes to seats and often replace stock seats on BMW's.

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
What panniers are you going with? If the seat proves uncomfortable, Seat Concepts makes a few different ones for that bike, in different heights too.

For now I ordered a pair of the BMW hard bags. Might look at soft bags like Mosko Moto down the road. I'm always open to suggestions!

As far as the seat, I ordered a mesh like Rick mentioned last week, going to give that a try.

For now it feels pretty good but I don't have a ton of consecutive hours on the bike. I fixed the forward slope by putting the front seat setting into the high position and putting the rear in low. It feels pretty good for now. If I do decide to change it up I'll definitely check out Seat Concepts.