SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New motorcycle day (BMW 1250 GSA)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New motorcycle day (BMW 1250 GSA) Login/Join 
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Just finished a work trip, now off to the end of the month.

The plan is to trailer my CB-1100 to Utah then ride with my son. He has more of an Adventure bike’. We will be by all the parks, South.

A fair amount of prep for the trip, starting right now.

Posts: 6423 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

For now I ordered a pair of the BMW hard bags. Might look at soft bags like Mosko Moto down the road. I'm always open to suggestions!

As far as the seat, I ordered a mesh like Rick mentioned last week, going to give that a try.

Yeah high front/low back helps a lot and hopefully that alone works for you. But if you can't quite get comfortable on the stock seat a SC front seat isn't that expensive, and you can always [put the stock seat back on and sell it to recoup much of its cost if you ever sell the bike. Also SC doesn't really mention this but they will substitute firmer foam if you request it. What they normally furnish is slightly firmer than stock, about like what Sargent uses, I prefer even firmer and they will do this. But the main improvement is the slightly wider width and shape.

The factory aluminum cases are pretty nice, and are what I used on mine. One small thing to be aware of (unless they recently changed them) is they are not coated inside so the bare aluminum can blacken certain items that lay and rub against it. Were I looking at cases now I'd consider Bumot panniers, they offer them made to fit the standard GSA racks. And I think they are a little narrower. They are available coated (inside and out) in gray or black, or uncoated aluminum.

https://www.advmotorrad.com/bu...enture-oem-bmw-racks

If you like soft bags Bumot makes a really nice set that fits your bike racks as well. I had them on my Africa Twin.

https://www.advmotorrad.com/lu...-oem-adventure-racks

.... and of course get the little tool case that fits inside the left rack. Smile

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ridewv,

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
Thats a sweet bike,, I have been fighting the temptation to buy a 2024 Honda Africa Twin

https://powersports.honda.com/...dventure/africa-twin

Posts: 7876 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
Thats a sweet bike,, I have been fighting the temptation to buy a 2024 Honda Africa Twin

They're pretty nice bikes, I had a 2016 1000 that I really liked but I never bonded with my 1100. I just didn't like having to navigate through all the menus and screens to control the ride modes, TC, ABS, throttle, etc. And no matter what I did I couldn't get it set to simply deliver a smooth throttle at low speed while having full power available at the top end, I could have one or the other but not both. This video overview illustrates some of what is necessary to learn in order to be able to navigate through the functions. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g6bn9PZAwb4

Posts: 7288 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Sourdough, enjoy your trip and be safe!

I love Africa twins and gave them serious consideration but the GSA had me. I'd still love to own one someday.

As far as the bags, I ordered some case liners last week from here. For the price I figured I really can't go wrong. I like the idea of everything already being in a bag and just having to lift it out. Plus, made in the USA

https://kathysmotorcyclebags.c...w-r1200gs-adventure/

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Be weary of case liners' claims of being waterproof. My Givis were supposed to be waterproof. That cost me an expensive MacBook Pro on my long trip to IN last year.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGfourme
posted Hide Post
Check your state laws on Fog lights--typically only 2(two) yellow fogs are allowed.
Love the Beemer-went with the Tenere 700.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Southeast CT | Registered: January 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:

As far as the bags, I ordered some case liners last week from here. For the price I figured I really can't go wrong. I like the idea of everything already being in a bag and just having to lift it out. Plus, made in the USA

Kathy has a nice little business making bag liners, she's just a few miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway near Floyd VA. Having at least one liner with top load cases is handy. I'm a little envious of your new 1250!

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Be weary of case liners' claims of being waterproof. My Givis were supposed to be waterproof. That cost me an expensive MacBook Pro on my long trip to IN last year.

These were advertised as water "repellant". Might look into getting some dry bags just in case.

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3625 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Was that you
or the dog?
Picture of SHOOTIN BLANKS
posted Hide Post
Awesome ride. I've owned several BMW's and always loved the GS/GSA but sadly, lacked the inseam. Big fan of the Russell Day Long saddle.

Enjoy!

Posts: 1655 | Location: PA | Registered: February 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love my 2003 1150GS. Didn’t need or want complex electronic stuff. GPS is a Garmin and is all I need. My GS is my “go to” bike if I want to hop on one and go. I have others - a ‘94 1100RS, ‘77 100S and a ‘67 R50. All are fun, but the GS does everything well.
The newer ones are indeed impressive. Think you’ll love this one.

Posts: 2161 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris42:
Love my 2003 1150GS. Didn’t need or want complex electronic stuff. GPS is a Garmin and is all I need. My GS is my “go to” bike if I want to hop on one and go. I have others - a ‘94 1100RS, ‘77 100S and a ‘67 R50. All are fun, but the GS does everything well.
The newer ones are indeed impressive. Think you’ll love this one.

Nothing wrong with old school! This is my first bike with anything of the sort. I have been really impressed with the BMW TFT. It's not "too much" if that makes sense. Feels like going to a glass cockpit from analog gauges in a plane. It's more capable but all the essentials are readily and clearly visible. Integrates pretty seamlessly with the BMW GPS so all the functions/routes/phone/music can be done from the handlebar controls as well.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I like the GS’s but the $$$$$ and the 1300 are even more I think. For a saddle I would look at Legendary BMS it is ran by a former employer of BMS since Bill passes a few years ago. I have tried 2 SC seats and haven’t liked either of them. The electronics are pretty amazing but scare me a bit. I am a little jealous, enjoy the bike. I picked up a new to me 18’R12000RS back in March. When it comes to ADV bikes I am finding less is more. I went from a 1200 Super Tenere to a KTM 890R and I am really enjoying the 100lbs weight loss.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3730 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Thats a great looking RS! I had an 1150 for a few years, still miss it.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I am liking it and since my 890 is down while KTM fixes my shock it been nice commuting.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3730 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
Some farkle'ing updates. Got the side bags and put some adhesive rubber from Tech Spec on top, I always catch myself setting stuff on bags. Added a mesh seat cover for extra padding/airflow, BMW side frame protectors, radiator guards, BMW tinted wind deflectors, and a Touratech Tinted windscreen. I originally had put a Puig clip on on the stock clear windshield and the Touratech is about the same size as the stock with the clip on. About 400 miles on the bike so far, finally getting comfortable on it. Seat still feels pretty good for now. I'd like to add some soft bags (leaning Bumot) and an exhaust at some point but I've covered my "essentials".

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Andyb,

posted Hide Post
Good looking bike. Had a 97 GS and a 2012 GSA. They are great bikes.
I got back in myself a month or so ago. Being a poor retired person I went the used Super Tenere route for now. It was pretty farkeled up already so all I've added so far is some Fox Risers. Just ordered some new Michelin Anakee 3's. I've been very happy so far but I'm anxious to do a side by side comparison when I get together with some of my old GS Riding friends.
That front end on the BMW's is really nice.

Posts: 2066 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
I got back in myself a month or so ago. Being a poor retired person I went the used Super Tenere route for now. It was pretty farkeled up already so all I've added so far is some Fox Risers. Just ordered some new Michelin Anakee 3's. I've been very happy so far but I'm anxious to do a side by side comparison when I get together with some of my old GS Riding friends.

I've heard good things about the Tenere's. I'm curious to hear your thoughts once you get it around the GS's. Congrats on getting back at it!

What made you go with the Anakees? I've seen those pop up in tire recommendations a few times along with others.

in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:

I couldn’t stomach the price of a GS when I started into ADV bikes so I bought a 2012 Super Tenere and put 90k miles on it while visiting 47 states. I loved my Tenere.

YAT-YAS

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I miss mine.

That was about an hour or so before I wrecked it.

Make sure you get good riding gear. I think I'm finally healed up and skinnier, that I could probably ride a big GSA again. I'm onto the smaller sized, simple bikes now though. Even considering a side car as I want my dutchigator with me always. I sure loved that big GSA though, and I had it pretty nicely dialed. I might be able to dig out my GS911 if that's something you'd be interested in, make you a good deal. It's only ever been plugged into the one bike, and you get several codes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13988 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post