SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Genoa salami – good lunch meat
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Genoa salami – good lunch meat Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
Genoa salami is my favorite lunch meat. A Genoa salami and cheese sandwich made from quality ingredients is fit for a king IMO. Lots of good flavor and texture too. I became curious to see what the web had to say about Genoa salami. The Wikipedia article isn’t very satisfying, but I couldn’t find anything better.

“Genoa salami is a variety of salami commonly believed to have originated in the area of Genoa, Italy. It is normally made from pork, but may also contain veal. It is seasoned with garlic, salt, black and white peppercorns, and red or white wine. Like many Italian sausages, it has a characteristic seasoned and aged flavor. …”

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genoa_salami

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9512 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Genoa is good although I prefer hard salami, gee I better be careful where I say that. Wink

Posts: 459 | Location: Kansas | Registered: August 28, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Calif Phil:
Genoa is good although I prefer hard salami, gee I better be careful where I say that. Wink

Hard salami is best salami.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32120 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I also prefer the hard variety but only because there are sometimes large pieces of pepper in Genoa Salami that I hate biting into.

Posts: 3490 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
You should try Lebanon Bologna sometime, have you ever heard of it and can you get it in your area? I think it’s more a PA Dutch thing.

Posts: 34728 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Salami, I prefer Sopressata, or Sopresso if made in N Italy moloto bella!

Costco sold a three pack, Sopresssata, Italian Dry and Peppered Salami.

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Paten:
large pieces of pepper in Genoa Salami

Those always look like parakeet droppings

Posts: 16233 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:

Me too! I'm with you! Hard all the way. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16551 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Genoa Salami has been my absolute favorite since I was a small boy.

Quality white bread, yellow mustard, Genoa Salami (one slice), cheddar or American cheese slice, another Genoa Salami slice, and maybe (depending on my mood) Miracle Whip on the last slice of bread. Two of these is a great lunch.

Sometimes I add more salami slices and more cheese slices if that fits my mood for the day.
Then just one sandwich is sufficient.

I do these infrequently enough that they are a real treat for me.

Bob

Posts: 1682 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Son of a son
of a Sailor
Picture of wxdave
posted Hide Post
But is it as good as the gabagool?

--------------------------------------------
Floridian by birth, Seminole by the grace of God

Posts: 996 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: May 20, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I've been partial to the Creminelli salami:

https://www.creminelli.com/salami

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 13124 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Genoa, Hard salami and a slice of pepperoni is my fav!

Posts: 7742 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I am also partial to a good salami sandwich. One slice of salami, one slice of cheese, another slice of salami. If I'm feeling fancy I might put some stone ground mustard in there, but I usually just eat it without.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3588 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Genoa salami is good. Hard salami is better.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hard to find real-deal Genoa salmi here in the states, what passes for it tends to be overly salty. I usually opt for Finocchiona instead.

Posts: 15109 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I like all forms of salami, but usually prefer hard salami.

Is soppresata a kind of salami? I like that, too.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53254 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

Soppressata is an Italian dry salami. Although there are many variations, two principal types are made: a cured dry sausage typical of Basilicata, Apulia, and Calabria, and a very different uncured salame, made in Tuscany and Liguria

Posts: 24395 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

yes, its a dry salami variety, much thiner compared to the larger sausages like the Genoa variety.
Soppresata is to Italian as Saucisson Sec is to French and Fuet & Salchichón is to the Spanish. Every region/country has their version of air dried-cured meats.

Posts: 15109 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm entitled to this Title
posted Hide Post
This!
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Genoa salami is good. Hard salami is better.

Posts: 14001 | Location: WV | Registered: October 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
quote:
Same here! I ain’t skeert to say it…Hard Salami all the way! Big Grin Big Grin

Hard salami with Provolone, lettuce, tomato, and Duke’s mayo on a fresh Kaiser roll. YUM!!!

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post