SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Genoa salami – good lunch meat
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Genoa salami – good lunch meat Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have been known to frequently purchase cotto salami for a rye bread sandwich.

Posts: 6732 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I only found out like a year or so ago that pepperoni is actually not an Italy thing at all, here I grew up thinking that it came straight from the old country when in fact it was a New World immigrant invention.

Posts: 34728 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
I’ve found a new favorite salami. This one:

Brooklyn brand
Smoked Beef Salami
“New York City Deli Style”
“True to our Brooklyn roots”

Dang, it’s good! I buy it my local Whole Foods store, but it’s also available from Amazon:
https://a.co/d/ijhfXWU

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9512 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
is circumspective
Picture of vinnybass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You should try Lebanon Bologna sometime, have you ever heard of it and can you get it in your area? I think it’s more a PA Dutch thing.

Born and raised in Lebanon so I've eaten a lot of it & still get it out west here from time to time. I love me some Lebanon Bologna. Of the two varieties, I've never cared for the sweet type.

"We're all travelers in this world. From the sweet grass to the packing house. Birth 'til death. We travel between the eternities."

Posts: 5547 | Location: Las Vegas, NV. | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
there are dozens of different italian meats in one region, dozens more in others, they're all good

(P.S. If you don't know what Slovenian želodec is you might be a piker. Cool )

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
You should try Lebanon Bologna sometime, have you ever heard of it and can you get it in your area? I think it’s more a PA Dutch thing.

The Lidl here carries it

Kroger has a good store branded sliced hard salami, it is always in our fridge. I rarely make sammiches, usually a snack with cheese

Posts: 5586 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
For the TX folks, HEB has a good [IMO] hard salami in the cheese section.
My kids eat it up & I too prefer it to Genoa.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 16036 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
A favorite sandwich in our house:

Mash some canned tuna with a glop of Duke's mayonnaise and some chopped up giardiniera. Spread on a fresh onion roll and top with a slice or two of Genoa salami.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
V-Tail, I thought that you’d be intrigued by the:

Brooklyn brand
Smoked Beef Salami

salami mentioned in my post above.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9512 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Perception:
I am also partial to a good salami sandwich. One slice of salami, one slice of cheese, another slice of salami. If I'm feeling fancy I might put some stone ground mustard in there, but I usually just eat it without.

So good. I haven’t had a hard salami sandwich in6 or 7 years. I used to have one a week when working. So tasty just as you mentioned.

Posts: 4017 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pipe Smoker:

V-Tail, I thought that you’d be intrigued by the:

Brooklyn brand
Smoked Beef Salami

salami mentioned in my post above.
Well, I was born in Brooklyn, kosher deli stores carried beef salami, but I really prefer the taste of Italian types -- genoa salami, hard salami, soprasseta, etc.

Of course, when eating טְרֵפָה (trefe -- non-kosher) food, there's always this little voice that asks, "Is this building grounded?" Waiting for the lightning bolt.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31490 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
I also prefer Hard over Genoa. Walmart's Prima Della brand is not bad, sliced thin on the spot, and then only need bread. Stick the sandwich in a baggie and it's good to go all day - no refrigeration needed.

Posts: 4061 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tenacious
Tempestuous
with Integrity
posted Hide Post
Boars Head Hard Beef Salami is Top Notch Smile !

Posts: 849 | Location: NW OHIO | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Try to find some Lebanon Bologna.

You can thank me later.

10 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6643 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grew up on Gallo brand in the green and white paper sacks. They’d hang them in front of your face in the meat section of the supermarket getting just enough cool air. Greatest road trip food. Passenger Can just cut off a quarter inch or so thick slice peel off the mold and hand it to driver or passengers. Can also cut off a hunk of cheese off a block if your feeling wild. Doesn’t need to be refrigerated immediately and can lasts. Few days in paper if not fully consumed.

I read in a college class once that salami releases more pleasure endorphins than just about any other food, even more than chocolate. So that’s while you feel so happy after eating it.

Posts: 4988 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live for today.
Tomorrow will
cost more
Picture of motor59
posted Hide Post
Two words:
Hebrew National.

I know it isn't in the same category, but man, do I love that stuff!

suaviter in modo, fortiter in re

Posts: 3163 | Location: Exit 7 NJ | Registered: March 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
i'll eat any hot dog except "Bar S"...stay away from them

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
Two words:
Hebrew National.

I know it isn't in the same category, but man, do I love that stuff!

“Genoa salami is typically made with pork as the predominant ingredient.”

So I doubt very much that Hebrew National makes it. This is the Genoa salami thread.

Serious about crackers

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
He was referring to hot dogs. Roll Eyes

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16551 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by motor59:
Two words:
Hebrew National.
One word: Nathan's Smile

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים