SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Flashlight For College Bound Son-Need Advice
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flashlight For College Bound Son-Need Advice Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tigereye313:
My Fenix PD32 has taken a beating and keeps on going. Rides in my pocket everywhere, sees almost daily use.

I love my PD32, sad to see the new model ditches the body light level selector for multifunction tail switch.

Mine recently broke and I was saddened to see the change to the new model. Checked order history and it was within the five year warranty so I lucked out. They mailed me a new (old style) head and I was back in business.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20841 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I really love the Surefire Stiletto Pro. Micro usb rechargeable. End button for full power momentary. Button on side for toggle through 3 power levels. Clip that can be used in pocket or clip to bill of a hat to use as a headlamp. It’s my favorite and gets used almost daily.

Posts: 155 | Registered: June 07, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
The oldest flashlight I have is a 4Seven Quark123. It is probably a dozen years old, maybe more. Still works like new. I have had three of four Fenix die in that time frame at least.
I would at least take a look at them.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19242 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by comet24:
I was going to suggest the same thing.

quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:
I'd recommend 2-3 lights at lower price point and decent but not super construction. He'll lose some, roommates and friends will use one and innocently lose or pocket, they will break, etc. Lots of options these days.

I'm sure he's a perfectly good son, no reflection on him!
This. I went through this with my son when he went off to college and I bought him the equivalent of this set and told him to put one in the car, one in his room, and one on a shelf somewhere. In the end he did come home with one. Smile

https://www.amazon.com/Duracel...d_i=B0947C9VSJ&psc=1

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OLight

NiteCore

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Some great advice so far, thanks. To clarify a few things:

This light will be intended to stay in his truck and not be carried. I want him to have a light he can use if he ever breaks down or gets stranded at night and I would like it to be blinding to an adversary if ever needed and/or sturdy enough to knock the shit out of said adversary if he can’t get away from them.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I've been using the Fenix PD36TAC on my duty belt since it came out. Awesome light. I bought two more to stick in my car and my daughter's car.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8029 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Concur with two posters that multiple cheap LED lights are appropriate. If by now he is not like you, appreciative of expensive tactical items, giving one may increase his fear of displeasing dad by losing it, scratching it, etc.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5068 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
if it is going to remain in the truck for long periods I would get a fenix pd35 over the pd36 so you can swap batteries at a moments notice

Posts: 7803 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

This light will be intended to stay in his truck and not be carried. I want him to have a light he can use if he ever breaks down or gets stranded at night and I would like it to be blinding to an adversary if ever needed and/or sturdy enough to knock the shit out of said adversary if he can’t get away from them.
4C battery Maglight, meets those criteria handily.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5165 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have both the fenix PD36 and 40. The 40 on full blast is 3000 lumens and my back acreage is pitch black at night. Lights it up well. Never really thought about the strike bezel as a plus but I guess it’s there for that bi bought them due to the recharging capability and brightness.

Posts: 4783 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
quote:
Originally posted by TXJIM:

4C battery Maglight, meets those criteria handily.

Although a big Fenix fan as mentioned, a Maglight may in fact be the best option given the criteria.

I remember the old days, when Maglight owned the industry.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I like these and they are not that expensive. Get hi a couple.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maxwayne:

I'm issued a couple ProTacs 1L and 2L flashlights at work as pocket lights, and quite frankly, they suck.

They aren't as sturdy as my Fenix lights, and they aren't anywhere near as bright. Plus they also run through batteries much quicker.

So I carry my personally purchased Fenixes (Fenixi?), and the Protacs collect dust in a drawer, waiting for the day I retire and have to turn them back in.

So based on the OP's stated criteria, a Protac AA light is a poor choice, since it's not USB rechargeable, 350 lumens isn't enough to blind an attacker, and a tiny little flashlight smaller than a Sharpie doesn't make for a good striking implement...

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
One of the reasons I mentioned the light was because it survived 2 shotgun torture tests by James Reeves on Youtube.

quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:

I'm issued a couple ProTacs 1L and 2L flashlights at work as pocket lights, and quite frankly, they suck.

They aren't as sturdy as my Fenix lights, and they aren't anywhere near as bright. Plus they also run through batteries much quicker.

So I carry my personally purchased Fenixes (Fenixi?), and the Protacs collect dust in a drawer, waiting for the day I retire and have to turn them back in.

So based on the OP's stated criteria, a Protac AA light is a poor choice, since it's not USB rechargeable, 350 lumens isn't enough to blind an attacker, and a tiny little flashlight smaller than a Sharpie doesn't make for a good striking implement...

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
One of the reasons I mentioned the light was because it survived 2 shotgun torture tests by James Reeves on Youtube.

Well, that's a nifty anectdote, because who doesn't love the occasional quasi-scientific Youtube torture test, but the OP didn't mention anything about mounting them to a shotgun. However, he did mention his desired criteria included that the light be able to:
A) Blind an attacker
B) Be used as a striking implement
C) Recharge via USB
...None of which your suggested diminutive 350 lumen AA battery pocket Protac light can do.

Also, a quick Google showed that there are several TFB videos where James Reeves tests the Streamlight Polytac lights on a shotgun as a low budget weapon light option, but I can't locate any where he mounts an AA Protac light like you linked to.

For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TZi3rDHYJEU and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9OL7IquoIo

These both feature the Polytac light, not the smaller pocket Protac light like you linked to. Those Polytac lights are designed to fit in standard 1" ring long gun light mounts, whereas you'd be hard pressed to find a long gun mount for the smaller AA Protac light.

But that's all beside the point, because again, there's been zero mention of the college son needing to mount it to a long gun. Wink

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post