SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Euphemisms for Grandparents
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Euphemisms for Grandparents Login/Join 
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Nana & Papa on my wife's side.

My parents are remairried
Gigi & Grandpa on my dad's side
Grammy & Gpa on my mom's side

When we were kids, my mom's parents were Mawmaw & Pawpaw, and my dad's parents were Grandma & Grandpa.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15379 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lithog
posted Hide Post
i'm Papaw and my wife is Yia Yia (pronounced Ya Ya)

---------------------------
"Welcome to Tennessee, patron state of shootin' stuff." Bob Lee Swagger, THE SHOOTER

Posts: 1218 | Location: Memphis,Tenn.,USA | Registered: October 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nana and Rambo for us. I couldn't accept grandpa when I got the news. Rambo just as easy to say but much more bad ass. Been going on for nine years now. The grand kids don't know my first nameBig Grin

Posts: 7568 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Freak ‘em out, tell’em my 1st name is John, John Rambo!

Our handles are, noni & popi.

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
My kids refer to my wife's parents as "Nana" and "Pops"

My parents are "Grandmom" and "Pop-Pop" to them.

Posts: 33882 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
My grandkids call me "Pop Pop". I love it.

I had thought my daughter-in-law came up with it, but she said my first grandson started saying it on his own.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6424 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
When my family started to populate with Grandkids I was asked what I wanted the little darlings to call me... my reply was "anything they want" Big Grin

I ended up as PaPa. wife is Granny.
Some, especially the Step Grandkids, use "PaPa Tommy" or "PaPa John" etc to distinguish between their multiple grandparents / great grand parents. They works real well to prevent confusion.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4131 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Kinda fun, huh

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I had/have a Grandmama and Papa on Dad's side and a Memama on mom's side (grandfather on that side died when I was 1.) I also had great grandparents we called Big Daddy and Big Mama.

My boys have Pop Pop and NayNay (my parents), Papa and Mimi (wife's dad) and Oma and Opa (wife's mom.)

We did not choose any of those as our kids have older cousins.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10498 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
Growing up it was Grandma and Grandpa for my mom's parents and Grandma Pearl for my dad's mom.

My wife's family has a very different idea of the message behind the names. Grandma and Granddad are the terms that denote kindness and love and getting spoiled and played with, etc. etc. My wife's Granddad was the one that would take you fishing and sneak you desert first and stuff like that.

the term "Grandmother" is a very stern, set-in-her-ways, old woman who is strict on the rules SHE wants to enforce, a very black-and-white ruler of the home, and doesn't tolerate any shit. My wife's Grandmother locked the kids out of the house at 1pm so to keep them from spoiling their dinner eating junk food. She's the one that smacks you upside the head, pulls you by your ear to the sink to wash your mouth out with soap, her way or the highway type woman.

So when My wife's siblings started having kids, they all came to the conclusion that her dad was definitely going to be a Granddad.
My mother in law quickly named herself "gram" because she knew if she didn't, she was going to be a "grandmother," with all that that implies.

The best times are when my father-in-law slips up and tells one of the kids to "go ask your grandmother." She isn't ever amused, but that only furthers that she is truly a grandmother... Big Grin

My dad is just Grandpa, since that's the easiest differentiation and my mom passed a while back.

My birth-mom and her husband are now Grandma- and Grandpa-Z, on behalf of the different last name starting with Z.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
My step granddaughter calls me Poppa, my wife is Nana.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My mothers parents were MaMa and PawPaw. On my dad's side my grandfather died before I was born so my grandmother was Gran. Now that I'm expecting my first grandchild in a few months I await MY new title.

Posts: 165 | Registered: December 23, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
Papaw and Grandmaw for us. And I grin every time I hear it.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grammy, Pop pop, And Grandma for my daughter

Posts: 1045 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Mrs DF calls me Grampy poo poo. I made her swear not to say that in front of the kids nor their offspring... Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29733 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
My great-grandmother was called Bijie. The story goes that my oldest aunt would always yell out "bye G..." and all of the other kids soon started calling her "bye G" copying their sister but getting the context wrong.

Somehow it just stuck, and she embraced it, changing the spelling to make it her own.

We called her by Bijie until she passed away at 104 years old.

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3356 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gibb:
My great-grandmother was called Bijie. The story goes that my oldest aunt would always yell out "bye G..." and all of the other kids soon started calling her "bye G" copying their sister but getting the context wrong.

Somehow it just stuck, and she embraced it, changing the spelling to make it her own.

We called her by Bijie until she passed away at 104 years old.

Pretty cool

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Grand kids and Great Grand kids call my wife and I NaNa and PaPa - Sometimes the 6yo Grand Daughter calls me Pops

Posts: 169 | Location: North of DFW | Registered: July 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Haveme1or2
posted Hide Post
Mammaw & Pop

Brings back memories .....

Posts: 1002 | Location: Mint Hill NC | Registered: November 26, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I was lobbying to be called Alphonse by my grandson, but no one else is for it.

I don't know where it will land. The child isn't quite 2 yet, so he hasn't voted yet. I ended up calling my father's father "Doll" because he called us that. My other grandfather was Fa-fa because that is what I called him as a tiny child. I guess I was mispronouncing something else.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post