SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    USC and UCLA to the B1G Conference as Soon as 2024
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

USC and UCLA to the B1G Conference as Soon as 2024 Login/Join 
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
So the PAC-12 once again becomes the PAC-10. Like it was for decades.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
So the PAC-12 once again becomes the PAC-10. Like it was for decades.

I have to disagree, strongly. The PAC-12 or PAC-10 if you like, is nothing like it was for decades with SC and UCLA leaving. I’m beginning to realize just how big this is, “seismic shift” is a phrase I’m hearing.

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
quote:
this is just sick and wrong!

absolutely agree....

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Oregon is the best team on the pacific coast. They aren't going to be waiting around looking for a seat when the music stops. The pac12 has been a horrible conference and its mismanagement ain't going to just fix itself anytime soon.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
used to the pac 8 for decades

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The patchwork way this could go...wouldn't be all that surprising if it ultimately winds up being like the NFL...with two super conferences each with schools located throughout the country rather than just limited to regional proximities and rivalries. I would guess that Oregon and probably Utah are probably considering their options and next moves.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I think this forces Notre Dame to seriously consider whether they can continue their football independence, and when they do, it will not be to become a full-fledged member of the ACC.

Posts: 13259 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes it does apply pressure. For Notre Dame money is just a part of it. Tradition is an important part of the decision. Remember ND did not admit women until 1971 about the same time as the service academies. The University turned down a Biden visit because of his stance on abortion. We will have to see.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
I believe ND agreed to a hiatus on joining a conference other than ACC as part of their COVID year deal. I've heard 5 years and 8, but haven't dug into it to sort out. IOW, they have screwed themselves because the soon to be new ACC without Clemson or FSU isn't where they want to land.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12417 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This is not good. College football was defined by tradition, pageantry and history; that's all been whittled-away over the last 20-years with conference realignments and TV contracts which have grown to obscene amounts. The SEC was smart and understood what sports drove the train for their respective athletic departments while partnering with CBS Sports. The B10 was smarter as not only did they prioritize their revenue sports but, also leveraged their larger media markets and partnered with Fox Sports. P10 and the former disaster of a commissioner, thought their own TV network and highlighting Olympic sports was the right direction...it became obvious after the first 3-years that things were not going well.

The downturn of the football program at USC hurt the conferences media visibility, Washington & Cal had bouts of success, UCLA hasn't been relevant since Terry Donahue was head coach and Oregon, for all the Nike money they have, are in a tiny media market, they've maxed-out their potential. For all the success Stanford (I really hate them) football has had the last decade, barely 20k fans would attend their games and their TV ratings were among the worst in the conference..and this is with a handful of top-10 rankings.

USC has been subsidizing the P10 due to their aggressive branding in SoCal and the LA media market, they were the ones everyone was hoping to see a resurgence to relevancy; the gulf between USC and Washington St was beyond comical, why should they have stayed?
Very disappointed but, this is also the reality of college sports....

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10926 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
I would guess that Oregon and probably Utah are probably considering their options and next moves.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
They are. They have been told to wait until Notre Dame decides what they are going to do. If I am correct the lucrative NBC contract for ND runs through 2025 so that will be a factor.

Posts: 17236 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
I think this move all but cements the inevitable Clemson and Miami to the SEC in the next couple years.

Brave new world!

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I think it is time to call the $EC and BiG 1$ what they are, AAA programs, and start taxing them as such. They are about as non-profit as Amazon or Google. Let the top 32 programs or so in country move on and let everyone else settle back into true amateur programs.

I also think the players should be taxed for all the benefits they receive which Forbes argues was around 500k for a 4 year scholarship. Of course, this was prior to NIL so I imagine that the Bama’s of the world have several players making more than their professors - assuming they even show up to class.

I’ve had season tickets for decades at a small D1 university. You simply can’t compete with the $$$ that O$U, aTm, ‘Bama, U$C, etc. bring in while still claiming to be part of a non-profit university.

As for Norte Dame, several years ago they said they would not join the move towards pro/AAA status. It will be interesting to see if they hold that line and move down with the smaller schools.

Posts: 12465 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
I think this move all but cements the inevitable Clemson and Miami to the SEC in the next couple years.

Brave new world!

Would like to see NC state & VaTech enter as well.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5644 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SOTAR
posted Hide Post
Well BCS killed what the Rose Bowl was. Thus Pac 10 vs Big 10 isn't what it was. Pac 10 certainly would be considerably weaker...

ND Should have joined the BIG 10. Still angry about that.

GO STATE!

SOTAR
MSU '00

Posts: 1037 | Location: portland, OR | Registered: October 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Citadel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I doubt it. You have to have fans to support the games. Some of these kids actually want a four year degree. The majority of college football athletes will never play in the National Felon League.

No Conviction?

Posts: 823 | Registered: February 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I don't understand what you are saying.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
End the BCS, athletic admits, and any special degree programs.

College ball has always generated more revenue than the NFL.

The NFL needs a minor league, but college does a terrible job of that.

Currently, college football is money ball, but the meat doesn’t get any money.

A minor league, focused on player health and development, would do a great deal for the NFL/let it bring in better athletes who do not mature fast enough for college ball/avoid career ending injuries for no pay, TMK no life-long insurance coverage for them.

Posts: 5738 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I doubt minor ball would be much of a draw. Arena football was a big flop and so was the USFL.