SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Give Up Your Gun Rights To Foster Your Own Grandson?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Give Up Your Gun Rights To Foster Your Own Grandson? Login/Join 
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:...

As an officer, I saw how useless CPS/family services is. They are about as useful as once used toilet paper. They have literally told me "its your problem now" and left me with a small child in my arms. I had an undiagnosed Alzheimer patient with no food in his house, no water, no electricity, and thought his name was potato, and CPS just said sorry, he is not our problem and left.

If these clowns ever show up at my house expecting to do a home visit, they will see a door slammed in their face so fast they will get whiplash. Get a warrant losers. Otherwise fuck off.

Maybe add a broken nose to the whiplash. Smile

There was a report a few years ago of CPS physically confiscating the children from a home in CA based on a complaint from their grandfather who wanted revenge against his own daughter (the kids mom). Seems CPS knew the complaint was bogus, but they did their dirt anyway. Ended up that the family got a decent $$settlement, enough to move to a sane location.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Above and beyond the gun rights issue... what business has the state of being involved in someone wanting to take care of their own kin? This isn't some kid from wherever, it's his own grandson. Shouldn't need any outside involvement at all.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:...what business has the state of being involved in someone wanting to take care of their own kin? ...

Because state bureaucrats are smarter than you are, and can make more enlightened decisions than you can, which they do, for the betterment of society. Wink Roll Eyes

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zoom6zoom:
Above and beyond the gun rights issue... what business has the state of being involved in someone wanting to take care of their own kin? This isn't some kid from wherever, it's his own grandson. Shouldn't need any outside involvement at all.

Yes, it should, which is why it does.

Only biological parents have parental rights (legal & physical custody) by default. Any other arrangement requires a court order.

Just imagine the pandemonium that would ensue if grandparents, aunts/uncles, adult siblings, etc., had simultaneous legal and/or physical custodial rights over minor children.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Grandiosity is a sign
of mental illness
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
quote:
Went to a Pediatric appointment for one of our sons. Doc asked if we had guns, I told him it was none of his damn business.

CPS shows up to do a home visit and got an attitude when we wouldn't let them in. "This won't end up well for you".

We left the practice the following week.

I understand why you made that decision. I have physician friends that shoot and they would probably find another doctor for their kid as well. Calling CPS is over the top. In some electronic health records there is a built in question about firearms. I personally do not think that is appropriate, but some doctors feel otherwise.

Funny but when we were in NJ our pediatrician asked about guns as well. I think he was required to, it wouldn't surprise me in that state. But then he just stressed the importance of safe storage, just like safe storage of other household items.

Yes, he's a gun owner but keeps it fairly low key.

Find a new doctor, definitely.

Posts: 2453 | Location: MO | Registered: March 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Are there any viable alternatives to hemp rope for hangings? That nylon shit stretches too much.

Just before sentence is executed, each of these assholes should be given a paper copy of the Constitution, and forced to eat the entire thing. If they require assistance getting it all down, we can assist.

I'm just gettin' warmed up.

10 foot piece of rebar tie wire and a 15 foot drop would work really well.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Our pediatrician asks me about Guns almost every time I go to the office with my kids. Ive taken her and her husband shooting a handful of times. She's actually pretty good with my 1911, not half bad with a snub. She's partial to her Glock 380 because of her smaller hands I guess. Husband loves his G-19 and is probably going to get a G-21 after shooting mine.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
Ok, if this is accurate and they isn't some other unknown angle to this that isn't being reported, this is some BS of EPIC proportions...

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Flyboyrv6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I guess something must be wrong with me, because my immediate reaction is to summarily hang all officials involved.

These people think the Constitution doesn't apply to others? Then, it doesn't apply to themselves. Hang 'em. Today.

Nothing wrong with you or anyone else who thinks that these "officials" should be IMMEDIATELY executed.

Posts: 828 | Registered: January 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
Many years ago here in Florida my wife and I fostered newborns for an adoption agency. We got the babies right from the hospital and cared for them until the adoption was finalized. During the interview process the DCF folks wanted to know if we had firearms in the house, which was a stupid question because I was there in uniform with my cruiser parked in the driveway. They just asked if the guns were kept secured and that was the end of it. I remember believing at the time that they might have pressed more on the issue had I not been a police officer. We had 4 kids of our own so the law required us to keep the guns locked up anyway. They asked a lot of other safety questions like safeguarding the swimming pool, household chemicals, dogs, fire alarms, fire extinguishers, etc. I think these are routine questions about foster homes by adoption agencies and state child welfare agencies.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post