SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Give Up Your Gun Rights To Foster Your Own Grandson?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Give Up Your Gun Rights To Foster Your Own Grandson? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Are there any viable alternatives to hemp rope for hangings? That nylon shit stretches too much...

You could always reinforce it. I think a couple winds of barbed wire should be sufficient.

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9161 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any viable alternatives to hemp rope for hangings? That nylon shit stretches too much.

I think the Iranians use wire cable and a crane.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
"Michigan requires that anyone who wants to be a foster parent must register his handguns with the state."

Since 1927 as a result of the Dr. Ossian Sweet case from what I have read, correct me if I am wrong though.

All handguns in Michigan must be registered except black powder pistols or revolvers.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37965 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sailor1911
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by parabellum:
Are there any viable alternatives to hemp rope for hangings? That nylon shit stretches too much.[QUOTE]

Dyneema! Little or no stretch, like woven steel, only tougher.

Place your clothes and weapons where you can find them in the dark.

“If in winning a race, you lose the respect of your fellow competitors, then you have won nothing” - Paul Elvstrom "The Great Dane" 1928 - 2016

Posts: 3762 | Location: Wichita, Kansas | Registered: March 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rightwire:
quote:
Originally posted by shovelhead:
"Michigan requires that anyone who wants to be a foster parent must register his handguns with the state."

Since 1927 as a result of the Dr. Ossian Sweet case from what I have read, correct me if I am wrong though.

All handguns in Michigan must be registered except black powder pistols or revolvers.

What of caulking, glue, nail, and potato guns? It's for the children!

Posts: 4756 | Registered: July 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Yep, that's evidently the law in Michigan. Wonder if you had to give up your 1st Amendment Right, would anyone care?

Cannot speak from personal knowledge, but seems to me that this whole MCF is nothing more than some bureaucraPs trying to impose their own belief structure on these people.

But then, this is Michigan, so such libtard BS may well be written into the adoption regs.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25644 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Just before sentence is executed, each of these assholes should be given a paper copy of the Constitution, and forced to eat the entire thing. If they require assistance getting it all down, we can assist.

Printed double-spaced, with 72pt font, with extra-wide margins. I suspect our constitution is the most succinct written constitution on the planet. These public thugs shouldn't get off lightly just because our ancestors were concise.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2070 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have essentially the same thing here in Virginia. General Assembly passed a bill to fix it, but our governor vetoed it. Will try again next year with a new governor.

Posts: 1314 | Location: Gainesville, VA | Registered: February 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
You ever deal with Child Protective Service types?

Went to a Pediatric appointment for one of our sons. Doc asked if we had guns, I told him it was none of his damn business.

CPS shows up to do a home visit and got an attitude when we wouldn't let them in. "This won't end up well for you".

We left the practice the following week.

Posts: 7020 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
quote:
Are there any viable alternatives to hemp rope for hangings? That nylon shit stretches too much.

Just before sentence is executed, each of these assholes should be given a paper copy of the Constitution, and forced to eat the entire thing. If they require assistance getting it all down, we can assist.

I'm just gettin' warmed up.

They make a nylon "static" rope used by canyoneers and cavers. I have some I could loan you....

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Went to a Pediatric appointment for one of our sons. Doc asked if we had guns, I told him it was none of his damn business.

CPS shows up to do a home visit and got an attitude when we wouldn't let them in. "This won't end up well for you".

I understand why you made that decision. I have physician friends that shoot and they would probably find another doctor for their kid as well. Calling CPS is over the top. In some electronic health records there is a built in question about firearms. I personally do not think that is appropriate, but some doctors feel otherwise.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
quote:
I guess something must be wrong with me, because my immediate reaction is to summarily hang all officials involved.

These people think the Constitution doesn't apply to others? Then, it doesn't apply to themselves. Hang 'em. Today.

the biggest problem in this country is that we don't

no one is held 'responsible' for anything - they're all shielded

the worst thing about this country is no one pays a price for being this stupid

this country would be much better off if there weren't so many stupid people iun positions of power

diversity wasn't supposed to involve IQ and political ideology

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Some people used piano wire... That stuff looked like it worked pretty good.
(Sometimes the head kinda pops off, but that's the price of doing business, I guess.)

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8350 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
quote:
I guess something must be wrong with me, because my immediate reaction is to summarily hang all officials involved.

These people think the Constitution doesn't apply to others? Then, it doesn't apply to themselves. Hang 'em. Today.

the biggest problem in this country is that we don't

no one is held 'responsible' for anything - they're all shielded

the worst thing about this country is no one pays a price for being this stupid

this country would be much better off if there weren't so many stupid people iun positions of power

I mostly agree with the above (Other than hanging is far to good and too quick for the officials involved.).
quote:

diversity wasn't supposed to involve IQ and political ideology

Not sure I agree with this bit. Diversity should certainly apply to political ideology - our is the best and we should be comfortable defending it logically. We don't need to outlaw other ideologies, that is the approach of those insecure.

As for IQ, everyone has what they have and it isn't under their control. As far as hiring for positions of import, we should absolutely NOT be like the Democratic Party - we SHOULD discriminate on the basis of ability. A person does not have to have genius IQ to have adequate ability to do a job, and there are plenty of folks with genius IQ that don't have they ability to do much. However, there are very few folks who could be accurately described as, "Doesn't have the brains that the Good Lord gave to a pissant!" who have much ability. I'm convinced that this would be an accurate description of the officials involved in this case.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:

A lot to consider here; nothing says "traditional" like a good hemp rope. However, nylon offers the advantage of longevity for numerous re-usages.

There are different types of nylon ropes, which may offer a viable solution. Static climbing rope does not stretch, whereas dynamic rope does. Static line would offer a solid stop after the drop, increasing the odds of a broken neck. Dynamic line would probably do the job given the short distance of the drop, but static line is more durable.

Decisions, decisions.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15580 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
We live in the Bay Area, CA. Some years ago, on two different occasions, my wife and I were foster parents to unwed mothers, each coming from a different Bay Area county (I had to comply with the foster parent rules of the county of the foster child, also the county I lived in).

Both times I was instructed to sign a form declaring there were no firearms in the house. Both times I took the official aside, mentioned I was honorably discharged from the Army Reserves, there was a firearm in the house. I then had to sign a different form declaring all firearms would be locked up out of sight at all times the foster child was in the house, which I signed and did comply.

I understand the rules have changed re guns, I guess more like what is in Michigan. But it probably doesn't matter, seems to be a foster parent here I must now agree to openly support LGBT rights. As conservative Christians, we would be disqualified before they opened the file.

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:

Agree. If you want to violate my second amendment, then perhaps we should violate your 8th amendment, and give you some cruel and unusual punishment.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
What rope?

5.45mm, 5.56mm, 6.5mm, 7.62mm, 9mm, 10mm, 11.43mm, or 12.7mm?

I pick 10mm.

As we all know (even if we don't want to admit it) almost anything in 10mm is superior to other sizes. It's, well, 10mm! Superman trembles at the mere mention of 10mm.

I once owned a Beal climbing rope in 10mm. It was a great rope, saving a climbing partner when he fell and a jagged rock nearly cut it in half.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

As an officer, I saw how useless CPS/family services is. They are about as useful as once used toilet paper. They have literally told me "its your problem now" and left me with a small child in my arms. I had an undiagnosed Alzheimer patient with no food in his house, no water, no electricity, and thought his name was potato, and CPS just said sorry, he is not our problem and left.

If these clowns ever show up at my house expecting to do a home visit, they will see a door slammed in their face so fast they will get whiplash. Get a warrant losers. Otherwise fuck off.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No double standards
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ulsterman:
quote:

Seems the anti-Constitutional virus in CA is alive and well in many places. All in the name of "protecting the children".

"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women. When it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it....While it lies there, it needs no constitution, no law, no court to save it"
- Judge Learned Hand, May 1944

Posts: 30668 | Location: UT | Registered: November 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post