SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Give Up Your Gun Rights To Foster Your Own Grandson?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Give Up Your Gun Rights To Foster Your Own Grandson? Login/Join 
posted
Yep, that's evidently the law in Michigan. Wonder if you had to give up your 1st Amendment Right, would anyone care?

http://freebeacon.com/issues/l...hts-foster-grandson/

A lawsuit filed in federal court on Monday alleges the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) violated the gun rights of foster parents.

Caseworkers from MDHHS and a county judge told William Johnson of Ontonagon, Mich., that he had to choose between his Second Amendment rights and fostering his grandson, according to a complaint filed with the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan. The 54-year-old Johnson is a retired, disabled Marine with a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. He and his wife were asked by the state of Michigan to foster their grandson. According to Johnson's suit, however, the issues began as soon as he arrived at MDHHS to pick up the child.

Rest of story at above link.

Posts: 1892 | Location: KY | Registered: April 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lkdr1989
posted Hide Post
Pretty sad.

I'm glad that the Second Amendment Foundation is involved in the suit.

quote:
Originally posted by SIGSense:
Yep, that's evidently the law in Michigan. Wonder if you had to give up your 1st Amendment Right, would anyone care?

http://freebeacon.com/issues/l...hts-foster-grandson/

A lawsuit filed in federal court on Monday alleges the Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) violated the gun rights of foster parents.

Caseworkers from MDHHS and a county judge told William Johnson of Ontonagon, Mich., that he had to choose between his Second Amendment rights and fostering his grandson, according to a complaint filed with the United States District Court for the Western District of Michigan. The 54-year-old Johnson is a retired, disabled Marine with a Michigan Concealed Pistol License. He and his wife were asked by the state of Michigan to foster their grandson. According to Johnson's suit, however, the issues began as soon as he arrived at MDHHS to pick up the child.

Rest of story at above link.

...let him who has no sword sell his robe and buy one. Luke 22:35-36 NAV

"Behold, I send you out as sheep in the midst of wolves; so be shrewd as serpents and innocent as doves." Matthew 10:16 NASV

Posts: 4335 | Location: Valley, Oregon | Registered: June 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I guess something must be wrong with me, because my immediate reaction is to summarily hang all officials involved.

These people think the Constitution doesn't apply to others? Then, it doesn't apply to themselves. Hang 'em. Today.

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
This is what progressivism is all about.

Utter subjugation to the state.

I see this case taking a decade, going to SCOTUS, and in the meantime, the grandchild will be fostered by welfare queens to foster kids solely as a source of government money.

I'd take the kid, then leave the state, along with my property.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
I believe the operative legal phrase here is "arbitrary and capricious;" however, I'll get a rope.

Posts: 13263 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:
This is what progressivism is all about.

Utter subjugation to the state.

I see this case taking a decade, going to SCOTUS, and in the meantime, the grandchild will be fostered by welfare queens to foster kids solely as a source of government money.

I'd take the kid, then leave the state, along with my property.

God Damned Commies, I tell ya! Formerly known as Democrats!

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Public hanging is fine. Public crucifixion would be better.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I guess something must be wrong with me, because my immediate reaction is to summarily hang all officials involved.

These people think the Constitution doesn't apply to others? Then, it doesn't apply to themselves. Hang 'em. Today.

Nothing wrong with you.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
from the article: "he was told there would not be a "power struggle" and MDHHS "would just take his grandson and place him in a foster home"."

Think so sweetie? Here, hold my beer.

Posts: 6396 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one who thinks there is more to this story? This article is written in a very inflammatory manner designed to elicit an emotional response with prases like "give up your constitutional rights."

I think it is a deliberately written (possibly) misleading article that (maybe?) leaves out some pertinent details, and is also (maybe?) taking some journalistic license to sensationalize the issue.

I may be wrong, admittedly...but articles like this written in a "click-bait" style most of the time leave me wondering what the *actual* story is.

Posts: 2935 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Knows too little
about too much
Picture of rduckwor
posted Hide Post
Seriuosly? These people are just asking for a beating. Is MI still part of the U.S.A.? What constitutional genius came up with this demand?

RMD

TL Davis: “The Second Amendment is special, not because it protects guns, but because its violation signals a government with the intention to oppress its people…”
Remember: After the first one, the rest are free.

Posts: 20321 | Location: L.A. - Lower Alabama | Registered: April 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bcereuss:
Am I the only one who thinks there is more to this story? This article is written in a very inflammatory manner designed to elicit an emotional response with prases like "give up your constitutional rights."

I think it is a deliberately written (possibly) misleading article that (maybe?) leaves out some pertinent details, and is also (maybe?) taking some journalistic license to sensationalize the issue.

I may be wrong, admittedly...

You ever deal with Child Protective Service types?

The NKVD were nicer and more even handed in comparison.

I personally witnessed one of those fucks saying things like that to my parents when they were trying to get custody of my brain damaged nephew from his dope using father (it was the father's dope that fried my nephew's brain).

It took years and tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees for my parents to get custody of their grandson. But they eventually prevailed, and even more amazing, managed to rehabilitate him into a damaged, but aware and capable of thought kid.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31445 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
It' not entirely clear what they are requiring him to do.
Since Michigan already has mandatory registration of all pistols, they have have that info already.

So I wonder if they are requiring him to 1)have a safe and/or 2)Never have a gun loaded outside the safe like when carrying the gun.

From the MDHHS
quote:
(3)
Firearms are subject to the following conditions:
(a) Stored in a locked metal or solid wood gun safe or
(b) Trigger-locked and stored without ammunition in a locked area.
(c) Ammunition shall be stored in a separate locked location.
(d) A handgun shall be registered. Documentation of the registration of the handgun shall be available for
review.

Posts: 7357 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:
Since Michigan already has mandatory registration of all pistols, they have have that info already.

Perhaps you should have read the article? Or read it more carefully?

quote:

He was then told he would need to give MDHHS the serial numbers of all of his firearms, including rifles and shotguns, and register them with the agency.

quote:

Michigan requires that anyone who wants to be a foster parent must register his handguns with the state as well as keep the guns unloaded and locked in a safe separate from the ammunition.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of D4Heavy
posted Hide Post
I'm a foster parent. Have adopted 3. about to adopt 3 and have 6 foster kids in my house right now. During my certification process I showed DHR my gun room (which is in my basement locked behind multiple doors) and her response was "wow, my husband would love this" Of course, I live in the free state of Alabama. I love kids and do it because I feel called to do it but, I would have to seriously reconsider if they said I had to give up my 2A rights.

"welfare queens to foster kids solely as a source of government money." sig2340- I would say that 99.9% of foster parents do it as a calling. I can tell you I make more in a day than what I get a month for a board payment. My grocery bill alone is close to 2k a month. The money is considered a payment to cloth, house and feed the children. In Alabama you have to have a consistent income and you already have to have the space to house these kids. They aren't going to give kids to some welfare queen living in a 2 bedroom apartment. Every foster parent is vetted. If someone is getting rich off foster parenting I would like to know how cause I spend way beyond what I get as a board payment every month.

Posts: 398 | Location: Alabama | Registered: December 23, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Surprised they even asked him to take the child in the first place. I mean, didn't they do a background check on him, which reviled his LTC? That should have disqualified him... being a bad person with a LTC. Roll Eyes

I hope he hangs them all!!

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dsiets:

So I wonder if they are requiring him to 1)have a safe and/or 2)Never have a gun loaded outside the safe like when carrying the gun.

From the MDHHS
quote:
(3)
Firearms are subject to the following conditions:
(a) Stored in a locked metal or solid wood gun safe or
(b) Trigger-locked and stored without ammunition in a locked area.
(c) Ammunition shall be stored in a separate locked location.
(d) A handgun shall be registered. Documentation of the registration of the handgun shall be available for
review.

This is a good example of how, when agency regulations are given the same force and effect as statutes, the "law" becomes subject to agency interpretation.

Posts: 1168 | Registered: July 06, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Are there any viable alternatives to hemp rope for hangings? That nylon shit stretches too much.

Just before sentence is executed, each of these assholes should be given a paper copy of the Constitution, and forced to eat the entire thing. If they require assistance getting it all down, we can assist.

I'm just gettin' warmed up.

Posts: 107608 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
"Michigan requires that anyone who wants to be a foster parent must register his handguns with the state."

Since 1927 as a result of the Dr. Ossian Sweet case from what I have read, correct me if I am wrong though.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8106 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Are there any viable alternatives to hemp rope for hangings? That nylon shit stretches too much.

Manila makes a great, natural rope, and is far superior to hemp, which tends to rot. Manila tends to be courser. So the guest of honor at your necktie social may experience some slight discomfort due to the scratchy texture.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17460 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post