SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Business I've been patronizing for 22 years no longer accepting cash
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Business I've been patronizing for 22 years no longer accepting cash Login/Join 
posted
Only credit cards .
Is this " a thing "now ?

I understand stopping checks ,but cash?

I hate the thought of leaving a small brick and mortar optometrist for Costco .

My sibling has very good things to say about the Costco eyewear experiance.

8 pair of glasses in 21 years

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54695 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I hope you politely told them thanks and let them know they just pushed you into big box for your glasses needs.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15623 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Am hoping they grandfather me in to the cash customer file.
But I will be very polite as good docs are hard to find.

A neighbor has to buy a credit prepaid card every year to pay his lawn / snow removal service.

That won't be me

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54695 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I don’t know if it’s a thing, but it simplifies things from an accounting policies and procedures standpoint. You wouldn’t have to maintain a cash drawer, go to the bank with bag full of cash, or worry about counterfeit money. If only small percentage of your business was cash, I could see not accepting it.

Posts: 11010 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not accepting cash for payment...

Goes to the top of the list for stupid business practices.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Eliminating cash means the owner and their employees will likely never end up at gunpoint. Cash businesses get robbed more.

For me, the next County over (ie the one with the actual city of Houston) has a woke DA and woke judges. Other than armed Texans, there is little or no penalty for armed robbery. Personally, when I go to Houston I prefer going to a business with the “no cash on premises” sign on the front door.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23314 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cruising the
Highway to Hell
Picture of 95flhr
posted Hide Post
I’m of the mindset of don’t take cash, I can go somewhere that actually wants my business and accepts the legal tender of this country.

“Government exists to protect us from each other. Where government has gone beyond its limits is in deciding to protect us from ourselves.”
― Ronald Reagan

Retired old fart

Posts: 6491 | Location: Near the Beaverdam in VA | Registered: February 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Does this mean you are opposed to a debit card for your checking account - if you have one?

Posts: 17903 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They would lose me as a customer. Twenty years ago we decided if we can’t pay cash for something we don’t buy it. It has been probably the second biggest reason for the financial situation we are in and my ability to retire way sooner than ever expected.

Posts: 3931 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
First I’d express that I would take my money elsewhere if they continued this practice.

Second, walk

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11303 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
the coffee shop I frequent was burglarized twice over the summer and robbed once. He said ‘enough’ and put signs up saying ‘no cash’ and didn’t buy a third safe.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12350 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
I use a debit or credit card occasionally, but have always used cash for my purchases whenever possible. A cashless society is just one step closer to the government being able to monitor what you buy, how much, when & where you buy it, and that's a FBI, NSA, or any alphabet agencies wet dream. Think it won't happen?

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some friends have mentioned banks adding charges to deposit and withdraw cash. More questioning as well, as if the banks are trying to discourage cash in general.

Posts: 2370 | Registered: October 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of erj_pilot
posted Hide Post
It IS very annoying for an establishment to not accept cash, especially for small purchases like a coffee, etc. There are times I just don’t want to put trivial charges on my CC and would prefer to use cash. And no…I do not have and will NEVER have a debit card; I trust the security on them about as far as I can push a B737 off the gate.

Ironbutt covered my other issue with a cashless society.

"If you’re a leader, you lead the way. Not just on the easy ones; you take the tough ones too…” – MAJ Richard D. Winters (1918-2011), E Company, 2nd Battalion, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 101st Airborne

"Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil... Therefore, as tongues of fire lick up straw and as dry grass sinks down in the flames, so their roots will decay and their flowers blow away like dust; for they have rejected the law of the Lord Almighty and spurned the word of the Holy One of Israel." - Isaiah 5:20,24

Posts: 11066 | Location: NW Houston | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Am hoping they grandfather me in to the cash customer file.
But I will be very polite as good docs are hard to find.

A neighbor has to buy a credit prepaid card every year to pay his lawn / snow removal service.

That won't be me
This seems to be a thing with the big box auto insurence companies also. Credit or debit card or check from your account. Or auto pay from your account. They all want access to your account to just take the payments monthly. Take being the key word there. And, electronic funds gives them their sought after guarantee of payments.

Posts: 17921 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bryan11:
Some friends have mentioned banks adding charges to deposit and withdraw cash. More questioning as well, as if the banks are trying to discourage cash in general.
Fees on card usage too. Every time we try to save a buck.

Posts: 17921 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
My guess is that they no longer want to go to the bank holding a bag full of cash.

Reminds me of my old boss. Always bought a new car with cash. They told him once that they didn't want cash any more. He went bonkers over that.

I would not like being the guy responsible for a bag full of money.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
Does Costco accept cash? I've never used or seen cash there.

Look at it this way - the cc merchant fees are built into the price everyone pays. So, unless you're getting a discount for paying cash, you are paying those merchant fees. Might as well get the points for using the cc. I have the Costco Citi card and I think it gives me 4% back.

Posts: 3550 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rbert0005:
My guess is that they no longer want to go to the bank holding a bag full of cash.

Reminds me of my old boss. Always bought a new car with cash. They told him once that they didn't want cash any more. He went bonkers over that.

I would not like being the guy responsible for a bag full of money.

Bob

Our last two vehicles, a new GMC, and a new Grand Cherokee, after all the negotiations we tried to pay cash. Well, not actually a bag of money, but write a check. They said we couldn't, because all the discounts & incentives were based on buying through GM or Chrysler Financial.

I said that was the stupidest thing I've ever heard, but OK, sign me up & I'll pay it off with the first payment. They said that there was an early payoff penalty if paid off before 6 months. Before I made the first payments, I inquired about an early payoff penalty, and both times the loan companies said there were none. So I paid them off & they got one months interest.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rick Lee:
Does Costco accept cash? I've never used or seen cash there.

I have used cash at Costco numerous times.

Cash is legal U.S. tender. If a business chooses not to deal with it, fuck 'em.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16725 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post