SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Playing matador with a bison. What could possibly go wrong?
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Playing matador with a bison. What could possibly go wrong? Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
130 days in jail to detox his soul, cleans his mind, and get right. Hopefully a wake up call for an out of control moron, but I doubt it.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Another fool. This time in S. Dakota. Video at the link

Link

Bison attacks woman in South Dakota for getting too close to calf:

By Stephanie Pagones | Fox News
Bison attacks woman after she reportedly got too close to its calf

Shocking video shows a bison dragging and thrashing a woman in a South Dakota state park after she reportedly got too close to a calf, as thousands have traveled to the state for an annual motorcycle rally, according to multiple reports.

Footage of the Wednesday attack, captured by witness Jo Reed, shows the bison taking hold of the woman and dragging her across the street into the grass.

The animal continues to violently shake and spin the woman as other bikers look on in horror, the video shows. The animal ripped off her pants before running off as onlookers describe the woman as being unconscious.

An estimated 500 bison were blocking the roadway within Custer State Park when the motorcyclist “got too close,” the Custer County Chronicle reported.

Thousands have flocked to the state over the past week and a half for the 80th Annual Sturgis Motorcycle Rally, a 10-day event in Sturgis.

Reed later wrote on Facebook that herds of bison “were everywhere we went,” and had appeared to be “frisky” and “punchy with each other.”

“We came around a curve just behind a group of motorcyclists and there was a herd standing in the middle of the road, most noticeably a cow (female) and her calf which was nursing,” Reed wrote. “Initially one woman got off her bike and approached the herd and then more followed. It was a tense moment.”

According to the Chronicle, the victim suffered injuries that were considered not to be serious and was flown to an area hospital.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6900 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Another fool. This time in S. Dakota. Video at the link.
< snip >

Why would a person think it appropriate to get within 500 feet of an animal that weighs nigh onto a ton, has hooves the size of dinner plates, and a downright bad attitude, much less get too close to that animal's baby (which adds another 800 pounds of angry buffalo with four dessert plate size hooves to the mix)?

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32054 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
54 year old woman from Iowa. Maybe Bendable knows her.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
54 year old woman from Iowa. Maybe Bendable knows her.

Now be nice. Roll Eyes

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16533 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^
I am being nice. Was just teasing Bendable.

Posts: 17531 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my youth, my buddy and I converted VW Bugs into Baja Bugs. We would test the builds in his pasture, which was several acres in size.
A large bull was the main resident of the pasture and he hated the Bugs. He would charge us and ram the Bugs if we did not see him in time to avoid him. He was way quicker than his appearance. He easily could penetrate the Bugs sheet metal with his horns and a full on charge would lift the Bug off the ground. Based on that experience alone, I would never approach a bison, even with a vehicle.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16391 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Visitors should be required to learn and sing this refrain (a pun?) before entering the park:
"I fought the beast and the beast won. I fought the beast and the beast won."

Posts: 4822 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
And the bison rut has started according to the park officials! Listened to the life flight and ambulance calls!

Jim

Posts: 1354 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
Years ago, yes, in Montana, we were riding in a pickup through a pasture loaded with both buffalo and beefalo. The rancher said, “Don’t do any sudden moves. Yesterday, one of the big bulls hooked his horns under one of our pickups and flipped it on its side.”

Yup, not only would I not get out of my car, I would be scared the animal would destroy my $70K Suburban. And possibly hurt me even while I was still inside of it.

Posts: 2361 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
quote:
According to the Chronicle, the victim suffered injuries that were considered not to be serious and was flown to an area hospital.

That going to be a expensive park visit. Her condition not to serious.. LOL. Wait till she sees the $47,000. + bill for her airlift out of Yellowstone National Park.

Posts: 2681 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
"Yellowstone bison taunter sentenced to 130 days in jail."

I hope the cops went through his wallet, found his insurance company's name, and emailed them a copy of the video. I'm sure his agent would be very interested in his risk-taking traits.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2107 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
These idiots need 6 months in jail, a lifetime ban from Parks, etc.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
Glad the lady wasn't seriously injured. The best part of the last video is the guy narrating it. In an almost deadpan delivery, "Aaand, she doesn't have any pants." Wife, "She doesn't have any pant?" Man, "Not anymore." LOL.

I'm amazed at how stupid people are. I've seen it in Oklahoma at the Wichita Mountains Nat'l Wildlife Refuge. People see a Bison, or as dangerous, a Longhorn bull, on the prairie and they get out of their car and walk over near it to get a picture. Or Bison or Longhorn are gathered around the visitor center and people think they are safe to walk up to.

People think that wild, free-ranging, Longhorn steer are just cattle and are safe. They aren't. The bulls are as big as Bison and don't F around with people getting near their cows. I was driving through Wichita Mountains NWR and stopped to let a group of Longhorn steers cross the road and got challenged by a bull. It literally stopped in front of my SUV and called. I was actually prepared to get charged. It finally passed.

But one of the straggling young cows decided to stop and scratch her head and horns on my grille.

These Longhorn bulls are amazingly huge. And beautiful. They make Cape Buffalo look small. No way I'd walk up to one.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Micropterus,

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I saw the South Dakota video the other day. I've been to Custer State Park numerous times, and the Bison herd is quite large...and regularly blocks the road. I can't imagine driving the wildlife loop road on a bike, but people do it regularly, and I've seen more than one group of leathered-up bikers frantically rethinking their decision and trying to get away when they get stuck in a traffic jam and the Bison start working their way through the stopped traffic.

At least those guys had the sense to realize it was a problem, though...getting out of your vehicle and walking up to them is just natural selection at work. I fully support the outcome, as the world already has an overabundance of stupid people, and if takes a bison attack to whittle it down by one (either through elimination or education) then that's ok by me.

Posts: 9250 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Why would a person think it appropriate to get within 500 feet of an animal that weighs nigh onto a ton, has hooves the size of dinner plates, and a downright bad attitude, much less get too close to that animal's baby (which adds another 800 pounds of angry buffalo with four dessert plate size hooves to the mix)?

The bison attraction has always puzzled me. In addition to the general stupidity of approaching large wild animals, they aren't exactly "cute and fuzzy". Most of them are huffing, puffing, dripping snot and generally looking pissed off at all times.

Posts: 9030 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Shaql:
Another fool. This time in S. Dakota. Video at the link

Link
It's the last weekend of the Sturgis Motorcycle Rally which attracts tens of thousands of people from all over and not all of them are smart.

Is it just me or did the guy who rushed to the dumbass woman's aid draw a gun and have it pointed at the buffalo? I'm a proponent of firearms in self-defense on animal attacks, but I have a problem with it when a person intentionally initiated the contact with the animal. I carried a .454 Casull while hiking, fishing, and camping when I lived in Alaska, and I always told visitors that I'll use it in a heartbeat in a bear/moose/wolf attack but not if you refuse to use your telephoto and walk up to the bear.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23690 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Microptreus ^^^^^ And young men seem to "think" it's a great idea to ride bulls, so they do. Some win money. Some win serious injuries, paralyzations or death.

Bullriders. I have a childhood friend who was very good at riding them. Did the circuit for years. He was always crazy.

Posts: 11994 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Just imagine if all the bison stood up on their hind legs, whipped out iPhones and started recording their brother flinging around Missy Motorscooter like a rag doll.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jelly:
quote:

That going to be a expensive park visit. Her condition not to serious.. LOL. Wait till she sees the $47,000. + bill for her airlift out of Yellowstone National Park.

I didn't realize Yellowstone National Park was inside Custer State Park in South Dakota.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: trapper189,

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post