SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ron DeSantis will take control of Disney's Reedy Creek board
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ron DeSantis will take control of Disney's Reedy Creek board Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Of course they are free to move. Except for a thing called economics. Lol

Reedy Creek (Disney) is nearly forty (40) square MILES of land. A couple hundred million in parks, hotels, timeshares, etc. Situated 20 minutes from a massive International airport. Also the home to Universal Studios and all the Harry Potter stuff upon which they draw a share from. Cheap workers, cheap land.

Even if they moved and got massive tax incentives, which they would get, nobody is going to give them tax incentives and the ability to self govern like the Reedy Creek nonsense. They want to build more? They just do it. They have no authority to answer to or get permission. They won’t get that anywhere.

So tell me where they are getting 40 square miles, complete autonomy, great year round weather, huge airport nearby, lots of extra tourism draws, this list could go on and on. You can rule out anywhere it snows, anywhere it’s expensive, anywhere there isn’t a huge airport. It’s a short list.

They ain’t going anywhere. They just don’t have a fiefdom anymore. Boo hoo.

Posts: 7472 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Of course they aren't leaving tax-friendly Florida. Forget about the fact that they must be located in a place with pleasant weather year round (Noo Hampsha is out), which limits their choice of locations. Hell, the cost of moving would be hundreds of millions of dollars when all is said and done.

I think all these "Disney will move" claims are coming from individuals on Twitter and the like. IOW, it's meaningless.

Posts: 107551 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Aside from the Disney woke aspect of this, I hate the practice of government giving these big tax breaks to large corporations. Those laws should apply equally to large and small.
Corporations go around shopping for these benefits, shopping one jurisdiction against others and the location that gets the business claim all the jobs created. All it does is make everyone else in the county, state city, pay more to offset the loss.
If we added up all the politicians claims of economic benefit from these give-a ways, we wouldn't be paying property taxes, they'd be writing us a check.

As for Disney moving out, this is like US and other companies moving out of China now as the political situation changes. They are finding out that moving buildings and large equipment and other aspects isn't so easy.
If they leave it behind they are giving a competitor a huge advantage when they move into their vacant facility with an already trained workforce.

Posts: 9500 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
It seems that Florida would be better off without Disney? The Governor should ask them to leave instead of trying to "fix" their corruption. I understand that they should not be treated as "special", they don't generate any income for the State.

Posts: 1293 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of economic activity you're chasing away. What would the Orlando area be now if Disney never went there. What would happen to if if Disney packed up and left? How many jobs are directly in Disney or are dependent on Disney being there? If Disney left, would the other parks stay?

quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
It seems that Florida would be better off without Disney? The Governor should ask them to leave instead of trying to "fix" their corruption. I understand that they should not be treated as "special", they don't generate any income for the State.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:

No... Florida would NOT be better off without Disney.
No... The Governor should NOT ask them to leave.
He's just saying Disney is EQUAL to every other corporate citizen of the State of Florida.
Just because they should not be treated as "special" does not mean they are not important.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Hell, the cost of moving would be hundreds of millions of dollars when all is said and done.

BILLIONS more likely. We're talking about the entire Disney bubble. That's 40+ square miles with not only the six theme parks (including the water parks), but a couple of dozen Disney-owned resort hotels which only house a small fraction of the guests that visit the parks.

Yeah... they're not going anywhere and probably couldn't afford to if they wanted to.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
The Villages could take over Disney property and make more money filling the state with retirees. Turn the hotels into condos. Restaurants ready to start up. Walking paths already paved for golf carts. Shopping and retail infrastructure already built. It’s perfect.

Heck, the Villages used Disney imagineers to design their town squares.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Disney cancelled Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

MR. TOAD'S WILD RIDE.

We all swore that one day, they'd have to pay.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Disney just recently let their CEO Bob Chapek go and brought back Bob Iger. Disneyland already rolled back some of the price increases that Chapek had approved.

According to a friend of mine who is in Sr. Management for both Disneyland and Disney World, Igers return is very good. Many employees hated Chapek and his vision of the company which is why he’s gone. DeSantis hasn’t taken control of anything yet, and my bet is that Iger is working with the Florida government to maintain the control they currently have. Really all they have to do is stay the fuck out of Floridas politics, which wasn’t an issue before Chapek got there.

My friend has no opinion on how the media side of Disney will be affected (although Iger has immediately fired the head of that division and is supposedly dismantling and rebuilding the entire department) as she’s only involved in the parks side, but she’s extremely optimistic that a lot of decisions Chapek made will be undone.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Iger might, and will, change this and that, but don't be under any illusion that Disney will revert to yestertear. Disney will continue to be woke. Might not be in your face like it was under Chapek, but it will stay woke.

Q

Posts: 26371 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Senior Disney executives aren't happy about Iger's return, as they thought he was gone as they've been trying to clean up the messes of his creation...Star Wars, Disney+, 21st Century Fox, etc. Nevertheless, they'll take him over Iger, who bumbled his way through his tenure, from price increases at the parks, the Scarlett Johansson debacle, not having a warm relationship with the talent, the whole Florida Parental Rights bill blow-up, and the fall-out from the poor earnings call while throwing his CFO under the bus.

Disney is largely shot-through with woke, that ain't going to change, from the President of the Board, all the way down.

Posts: 14650 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Guys I’m not trying to suggest that Disney is going back to the Disney of Walt or anything. At no time in my post did I mention anything about their wokeness.

I’m simply saying that Iger is back and, at least the Sr. manager that I personally know at Disney thinks that the parks side will benefit over Chapek. I also think that the Florida issue is part of the reason they dumped Chapek and I am sure they are taking the issue seriously.

We will see.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15251 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
I seriously Disney is going anywhere but do they actually own the 40 sq miles of property to sell if they should decide to? Or was the use of the land gifted to them by FL to use and would revert back to the State should they leave?

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7095 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:
I seriously Disney is going anywhere but do they actually own the 40 sq miles of property to sell if they should decide to? Or was the use of the land gifted to them by FL to use and would revert back to the State should they leave?

Disney owns it. Or at least most of it. Walt Disney bought it it piece by piece and did so privately so the surrounding land owners wouldn’t hear about it and jack up their prices. He used to make his lawyer fly to multiple cities first and then fly to Florida.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ridewv:

There's many books written about how all that land was acquired with a very long line of pissed-off people, ranging from developers, speculators, private owners, environmentalists and journalists. As Pale Horse pointed out, it was all done piecemeal spanning several years utilizing shell companies. None of this is hidden and Florida, at least central Florida, was merely a lot of waterways, orange farms a handful of odd zoos and military bases.

Posts: 14650 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Interesting development.
Ironically just met my cousin who has been visiting Disney with his grandkids this week.
Price of a general admission ticket is now $230. Unfreaking believable to me.

Posts: 1962 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Interesting development.
Ironically just met my cousin who has been visiting Disney with his grandkids this week.

A friend of mine took his two adult kids, their significant others and their 5 kids to Disney World for 5 days. He paid for everything including airfare.

$20,000.00 for the 5 days. He nearly had a heart attack. He told them that if they ever went again, they were going to have to pay for it themselves.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:

I found that hard to believe, so I checked the Disney website and I'm seeing admission prices for half of that, or less.

Maybe your cousin is quoting the admission price for a couple of people?

Or the website is misleading?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30658 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
Boycott despicable Disney
By Howard Sachs

The Walt Disney company is now run by a bunch of despicable America-hating racists of the Left. Their leaders just put out an outrageous mendacious and vile video in order to continue indoctrinating our children into their foul, regressive, illiberal ideology. It’s another example of the truth that whatever the Left touches it destroys.

We’ve now gone from warm Sunday evenings sitting together as families to watch the Wonderful World of Disney with Peter and Tinkerbell to this pile of America-bashing excrement put out regularly by the radical American Marxists who run the Disney company.

“Slaves Built this Country” features some dark-skinned American children spew the lies that “America was built on slavery; we remain a white supremacist racist country and that reparations are due.” The video attacks all Americans with white skin and even denigrates Abraham Lincoln as a fake emancipator. The KKK could not have done a better job at marketing such a racist attack on our people and history.

Any decent American who loves truth and this country should have nothing to do with this foul corporation. The American Left is trying to destroy this precious good country from within. They are succeeding through all our institutions -- our schools, media, corporations, the Democrat party, sports and entertainment. These Disney enemies of decency won’t even call our kids “boys and girls” anymore. They now push the cultish nihilism of 72 genders in their parks. Poor Walt. Poor us. Poor kids.

Every decent American should fight by withdrawing any support for anything Disney. In so doing we take a stand against racism, ignorance, lies, illiberalism, and vicious attacks on the great moral goodness of American civilization.

https://www.americanthinker.co...spicable_disney.html

Here's the video:

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24100 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post