SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ron DeSantis will take control of Disney's Reedy Creek board
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ron DeSantis will take control of Disney's Reedy Creek board Login/Join 
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted
“Ron DeSantis has seized control of Disney's formerly self-governing district in Florida, announcing that Disney must repay $700 million in debt and begin paying taxes.

In a dramatic escalation of his long-running battle against Disney, the Florida governor on Monday announced he was taking control of the Reedy Creek board.

The five-member board oversees nearly 40 square miles of Florida, on which the Walt Disney World Resort is built.

'Florida is dissolving the Corporate Kingdom and beginning a new era of accountability and transparency,' DeSantis deputy press secretary told DailyMail.com in a statement. …”

DailyMail article:
https://mol.im/a/11719825

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8954 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alienator
Picture of SIG4EVA
posted Hide Post
Good for him and FL!

SIG556 Classic
P220 Carry SAS Gen 2 SAO
SP2022 9mm German Triple Serial
P938 SAS
P365 FDE

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 7071 | Location: NC | Registered: March 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Make the pedo-bears hurt.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29699 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
I like that guy, AND I wholeheartedly approve! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
The hits just keep on coming!

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3450 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
Love it, now investigate the deeper workings of the corporation.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4835 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I'm sure other States would take that nasty corporation anytime.

Posts: 1295 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
The lead paragraph in the linked article makes it sound like a done deal: "Ron DeSantis has seized control of Disney's formerly self-governing district in Florida, announcing that Disney must repay $700 million in debt and begin paying taxes."

However, the same article goes on to state that this is proposed legislation: "A new bill was proposed by Florida politicians on Monday, which would give the governor full control over the district, and the ability to appoint the five-member board of supervisors that run the special district. "

This is really crappy "journalism."

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30669 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Oooh! Seven hundred million dollars. There's not a band-aid big enough to cover that owie.

This is further evidence that DeSantis needs to remain right where he is and not bother with a presidential run until 2028. He is highly effective in his current position and that's putting it lightly.

I despise Disney Corporation, and that, too, is putting it lightly.

Posts: 107587 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
This is further evidence that DeSantis needs to remain right where he is and not bother with a presidential run until 2028. He is highly effective in his current position and that's putting it lightly.

This has been my contention from the onset of the DeSantis for Potus chatter. He can do more from Tallahassee than he could ever do in DC.

The fact is the rest of the country will never deliver the support he would need to be effective as POTUS over a 4 year term, the way the elections are staggered in the House has it stacked that way.

JMO - Governor then on to the Senate...

Posts: 23453 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love the Disney will just pick up and move guys. Have you ever been to Disney World? They literally take up a huge swath of land, multiple massive parks and are 20 minutes from a huge international airport. Where do you think they will go exactly?

Disney isn't going anywhere. They are merely being reined in, belatedly, from an outrageously pro corporation setup. The autonomy they currently possess is unprecedented. Show me any other corporation that has a situation like Disney does.

It made sense to give them a deal to get the mouse into Florida at one point. Allowing them to basically be their own self determining county is ridiculous.

Their shitty politics aside, this sweet heart deal has lasted way too long.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Technically Adaptive
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of Disney, But if the owners feel they are not welcome in Florida they have the resources available to move anywhere they want.

Posts: 1295 | Location: Willcox, AZ | Registered: September 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
The lead paragraph in the linked article makes it sound like a done deal: "Ron DeSantis has seized control of Disney's formerly self-governing district in Florida, announcing that Disney must repay $700 million in debt and begin paying taxes."

However, the same article goes on to state that this is proposed legislation: "A new bill was proposed by Florida politicians on Monday, which would give the governor full control over the district, and the ability to appoint the five-member board of supervisors that run the special district. "

This is really crappy "journalism."

Possibly, but I wouldn't rule out that he 'may' be able to temporarily 'seize control' as Governor under executive order pending a legislative remedy/solution to some criteria outlined in an EO that allows the Governor to do so.

I not knowledgeable of the particulars of FL Law, but as Governor, Desantis was able to 'fire'/remove a Sheriff, a State Attorney/Prosecutor, and a County Election Supervisor! There could be a similar justification in this case for 'seizing control' that was utilized in the other instances.

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8886 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
God will always provide
Picture of Fla. Jim
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rizzle:
I'm not a fan of Disney, But if the owners feel they are not welcome in Florida they have the resources available to move anywhere they want.

Well bye bye. As we say down here “Don’t let the screen door hit you in the ass on your way out”. Disney is nowhere close to being what it started as. And as in all good , bad seems to follow. I would love to be rid of what it’s become.

Posts: 4411 | Location: White City, Florida | Registered: January 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

There's practically a zero percent chance Disney will leave Florida.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The Mouse will stay in the Florida house. For that matter, the other mouse will remain in their house in Anaheim. Neither Mouse will move.

Posts: 1452 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

I agree. He is 100% effective as governor of Florida, which became a solid red state instead of a swing state because of his work. Like Ted Cruz, he is extremely valuable right where he is.

DeSantis is young and will do great things in FL for now. The presidency can wait, he has time on his side. A clash between him and Trump is not a desirable scenario right now.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16695 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2PAK:
The Mouse will stay in the Florida house. For that matter, the other mouse will remain in their house in Anaheim. Neither Mouse will move.

For all the chatter about moving, there's no place to go...the properties they sit-on are too valuable, not to mention their locations are well established for the international traveler. The Colorado governor tossed out a invitation, along with a Texas judge...sure Roll Eyes
Disney senior executives, urged-on and encouraged by their board, went deep into the social-culture wars and have over-stepped their position; nearly all their content they're pumping out reflects this move. They had a good thing, unique and exclusive...and they blew-it.

Posts: 14653 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I’m sure Disney will just raise prices yet again

We are headed to Orlando next week for a day at Magic Kingdom and a couple days at Universal, we wanted our children to have one more chance to see Disney before we are done with all the wokery and bullshit. Ticket prices for Disney are astonishingly high right now, way more than when we went in 2019. Confused

Posts: 33808 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm sure other States would take that nasty corporation anytime.

You're right... they are free to move.
But what they don't deserve is to be treated "special"... and that's what they have had.
In fact, that's a large part of how this country has become corrupt. Everyone wants "special" treatment.
What made this country a great country was the idea that all are equal. The concept of the "rule of law" is that the same rules apply to everyone.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24116 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post