SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Hard to find junk silver from apmex????
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hard to find junk silver from apmex???? Login/Join 
posted
What is going on that they almost have no junk silver it is all pre sale?

Posts: 1745 | Registered: December 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
High demand? The supply is finite. And it looks interesting as a shtf zombie apocalypse currency so it seems to be popular with preppers.

Premiums on silver are up quite a bit, suggesting strong buying demand.

SD Bullion looks to be all sold out on 90% coins today.

An alternate guess would be the dealers are holding onto their inventory in expectation of rising values in the near future.

Posts: 9452 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Not sure what you mean by "pre-sale".

There is junk silver for sale online, but with a premium, based on the spot price of silver. Not going to be cheap.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The don’t have it in. When they get it you will be notified

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Tempting. I don't have any dimes. BU is probably significantly more than $31/oz.

https://sdbullion.com/silver/j...tutional-junk-silver

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you see the expected ship date of April 16

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
Did you see the expected ship date of April 16

It's probably all coming from the same source.
Who knows what silver will do in a month.

posted Hide Post
Silver premiums (as well as spot price) have shot up significantly since the SVB bank failure. A couple days before, when spot was hanging around $20, junk silver at Monument Metals was going for $3.49 over spot. The days following the collapse, the premium went up to $4.49, $4.99, and now $6.99.

Monument Metals still has some of the cheapest in-stock that I can find (~21x face value). Sadly it was down to 16.8x fv just before SVB's collapse, which is extremely cheap when compared to the 20-25x its been over the past couple years.

Junk silver (aka Constitutional silver) used to command the lowest premiums, but those days are over (due to it's finite supply).

For those who don't understand spot price and premiums:
- Spot price is what "paper silver" contracts are trading for on the exchanges (there are ~250x more paper contracts than actual silver thats supposed to back those contracts).
- Premiums are what you pay (per ounce) in addition to spot price to buy actual physical silver.

There is a much worse shortage of silver than what manipulated spot prices would suggest, which is why premiums are shooting back up.

Posts: 435 | Location: Utah | Registered: March 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I got a bunch of 90% halves at spot on Saturday at my pawn shop.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:

Once upon a time the "normal" scenario was that a dealer would buy at or below spot while selling above for the premium.

In today's world reputable dealers are paying above spot, and selling well above spot.

My big local guy is paying $16.95-$17.10 x face when spot is currently $16.17. They are selling for $20.74-$20.85.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15719 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Times are hard and you can find a pre-64 quarter at Aldi's when returning someone's shopping cart....three quarters in the past year. Big Grin

Market outlook by Investor Village investor:

https://www.investorvillage.co...&pt=msg&mid=23986982

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rangeme101
posted Hide Post
what is the best place to start locally for one to sell silver?

" like i said,....i didn't build it, i didn't buy it, and i didn't break it."

Posts: 1299 | Location: N. Georgia | Registered: March 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangeme101:

Locally, here are your options, in the order of the amount you're likely to make off it:

A) Local online classifieds (Craigslist/Facebook/etc.), if you know what it's worth, can weed through the scams, and can make the exchanges without getting robbed or murdered
B) Coin shops, if you have any
C) "We buy gold" jewelry stores
D) Pawn shops

But I'd recommend starting by reaching out to Dave Truong instead... You won't get scammed or shot, you won't get lowballed, you won't have to drive around to a bunch of shops, and you'll get a fair value from a great guy: https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0601935/m/2630099194

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Is it ever too late to buy silver bullion ... ?

Though I am far from being an expert, and someone who has bought bullion over the years, I do not think it is ever too late.

Maybe not going to make a bunch of money in the short term ... but over time, bullion will increase. Probably 10 to 20 years from now we may be saying to ourselves, gosh, I wished I bought silver back in 2023.

Just my thought ...

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
It's entirely possible to buy silver at a cost that will never turn a profit within your lifetime, or likely your kids' lifetime.

Here's an inflation-adjusted silver value chart for the past 100+ years. If you bought silver in 1980, or in 2011, you chose poorly. And there are a number of other points in this generation where if you bought silver, you have yet to turn a profit, despite it being 10+ years, or 40+ years.

And keep in mind that this chart is just spot price. This doesn't include premiums, which are running 30%+ over spot in some cases these days, putting you even further behind in ever turning a profit on your silver purchased at the wrong time.

https://www.macrotrends.net/14...rices-100-year-chart

Adjusted for inflation, silver has historically averaged less than $20/oz.

While you might get lucky and time it just right to buy low/sell high to flip it for a profit, over the long run the only people earning significant return off silver are silver dealers, thanks to their premiums.

Posts: 32515 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangeme101:

There's a local gun trader here in georgia.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34120 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conservative Behind
Enemy Lines
Picture of synthplayer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WingedMedic:
- Spot price is what "paper silver" contracts are trading for on the exchanges (there are ~250x more paper contracts than actual silver that's supposed to back those contracts).
- Premiums are what you pay (per ounce) in addition to spot price to buy actual physical silver.

As I type this, the number is 356.78 to 1 at this website

I found what you said riveting.

Posts: 10706 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: June 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Constitutional has gone the way of the cheap SKS.

Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
While you might get lucky and time it just right to buy low/sell high to flip it for a profit, over the long run the only people earning significant return off silver are silver dealers, thanks to their premiums.
There is a school of thought that one buys silver as a hedge against inflation as governments and/or central banks can’t just print more of it.

It seems to me like the prices of precious metals (and currencies, but more precious metals) are so manipulated that the only time they *might* be good as insurance is if/when the Fed loses control and we have hyperinflation like Weimar Germany. However, if/when that happens I’m not sure the wheels wouldn’t come off to the point that one can’t spend gold or silver. I dunno…

Perhaps the precious metals one needs to stock are lead and brass?

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post