SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shortage of execution witnesses
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortage of execution witnesses Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Just get all those on death row and all the attorneys who represented them. Or anyone else convicted of a felony and their attorneys. Let them scream about it, no one will believe them.

Anyone who turns away is next.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18388 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Why not the jury that convicted the guy?

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
The Chinese never seem to have a problem drawing a crowd

True. North Korea either. Executing people with anti aircraft gun probably quite popular. Something to think about. Knowing the Chinese it is probably required attendance for the witnesses.

Posts: 17235 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Big Grin I can see our neighbor to the Northeaat struggling to come up with six "respectable citizens." I urge them to place ads in newspapers and Craigslist titled, "Opportunity for Texans Trapped in Arkansas." That should solve their "respectable citizens" shortage. Big Grin

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23253 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AllenInWV:
Why not the jury that convicted the guy?

It might be 20, 30 or more years between the finding of guilt and the carrying out of the sentence.

Posts: 27951 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
I never want to witness the process, but if a tax free cash incentive was offered they may get more volunteers.

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JSB3
posted Hide Post
And to those saying to make it a part of or a selection process such as jury duty...that wins the batshit crazy idea of the day.
How the F in your right mind do you think it is okay, or acceptable to force someone to watch an execution?
What happens when these "forced" volunteers sue the state for emotional duress and PTSD? Or they sue the state pre execution for being forced to watch an act against their beliefs?

Blaming the crime on the gun, is like blaming a bad story on the pencil.

Posts: 1068 | Location: Saint Charles Missouri | Registered: November 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
Why not? I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

Ha!

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Is there any reason they can't use prison employees? An actual legal reason, not guesses.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23444 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
Is there any reason they can't use prison employees? An actual legal reason, not guesses.

My guess would be conflict of interest along the lines of the fox watching then chicken house. They need the witnesses to at least have the appearance of independent watch dog.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Make it like jury duty.

No. Make it a required school field trip.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
quote:
Originally posted by kz1000:
Make it like jury duty.

No. Make it a required school field trip.

WTF? Absolutely not.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I disagree. They used to hang people in the town square. EVERYONE came to watch. Including the 5 and 7 year olds. Maybe we would have a lot less snowflake if we stopped babying our kids and showed them how the world REALLY works.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Disagree all you want. There's a heck of a difference between people voluntarily bringing their kids to something(if it ever really happened to any appreciable extent) and having kids taken on school field trips.

I will admit, I don't have hard numbers, but I would bet that a tiny fraction of the US population ever witnessed a hanging "back in the day" despite it being a part of dang near every Western movie.

Posts: 8955 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

That was my first thought. Or at least the DAs or other officials that surely must be there. Assuming they are "respectable citizens" and non-felons, of course.

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
"Or at least the DAs or other officials that surely must be there. Assuming they are "respectable citizens" and non-felons, of course."

do DA's meet the respectable citizen threshold?

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53177 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
4-H Shooting
Sports Instructor
Picture of Zecpull
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
You mean there aren't six, 21-year-old, respectable Arkansas residents who are not related to the family of the victims or inmates and have no felony convictions? Eek

Big Grin

It is a problem.

Kind of like West Virginia's Slogan.. One big happy Family.. Really.
The Gene pool is not too deep in Arkansas.. but I bet there are enough imports.

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but
> because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton

NRA Endowment Life member
NRA Pistol instructor...and Range Safety instructor
Women On Target Instructor.

Posts: 9071 | Location: Wooster,Ohio | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post