SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Shortage of execution witnesses
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shortage of execution witnesses Login/Join 
posted
Opportunity for Arkansas residents follows:

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us...ng-witnesses-n738561

Posts: 17177 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Why not? I once shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mensch
Picture of kz1000
posted Hide Post
Make it like jury duty.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Yidn, shreibt un fershreibt"

"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everyone else, and nobody was going to bomb them. At Rotterdam, London, Warsaw and half a hundred other places, they put their rather naive theory into operation. They sowed the wind, and now they are going to reap the whirlwind."
-Bomber Harris

Posts: 16119 | Location: Ivorydale | Registered: January 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fenris:

I see what cha did there.

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Arkansas state code says that at least six "respectable citizens" must view the executions to confirm it was "conducted in the manner required by law." But the state's Department of Correction is struggling to come up with enough people, according to local reports.

I can understand that. I can't say I'd want to volunteer either. Their not allowing a witness to be related to the victim removes any other reason. That, or they can't find six respectable people in Arkansas. Razz

Posts: 27835 | Location: Johnson City/Elizabethton, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather have luck
than skill any day
Picture of mjlennon
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
quote:

I see what cha did there.
Ha, I had to google it. As such, the thread runs the risk of getting moved to liar.

Quickly back on topic, put the executions on tv. That way, it's not important how many people did watch, but that anybody that cared could. Something tells me the morbid curiosity in folks would watch the first few in mass. Once the novelty wore off, then few would...

Posts: 1817 | Location: Fayetteville, Georgia | Registered: December 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
2nd vote for "jury lottery" approach.

Figure a method to identify a large group of people that are most likely to be "suitable witness", those who vote, are or have been employed, pay taxes, etc.

Then summons people and have them answer a short "psych test" to see if they have anything great enough to dismiss them. (it might take some time to create a viable test with enough questions they can be "randomized", say a bank of 500 or so questions and then a test of 25 to 50).

People need to be included in such things with the weight of Jury duty and executions.

Too much in our society we have "covered" and "sanitized" or "colored" (Political Correctness) things to the point that we are wholly disconnected from cause and effect, and actions and repercussions.

Such things lead to "mechanics" and "technicians" that throw oatmeal, refrigerators, flowers and shingles into the machinery while casting spells and cutting themselves and can't figure out why the machine doesn't work.

In the New Testament is the passage; "... let he who is without sin, cast the first stone...".

Some have taken to mean that no man or woman has the right to punish another, or exact any account for sin (yeah, I have heard that argument many times). But one must understand that the context was that it be required that witnesses to crime, or community were compelled by the tradition/law to be involved in the work of justice. To be observant, to be involved in the declaration of crime, to be involved in the trial and to be involved in the carrying out of judgments requirements, whether it were banishment, repayment, death etc.

It was upon the whole of the community, and the whole community either prospered or suffered depending upon the proper or improper actions and behaviors (and attitudes) of those traditions.

So, the admonishment was not so much about those accusers being sinless, as it was an accusation against the current condition of the people and their improper attitudes, actions and behaviors toward the law and traditions. They were using them much like our politicians and systems misuse and abuse, the law, us, and their office and positions to do things that the tradition and laws were and are not intended.

So, all people should be involved, because it makes for better and larger core of a healthy society, and the "justice" that comes from that, creates the environment where people do and give freely and willingly of time, substance and self to better the society, and the end result is more people work, more involved with care and nurture of family and all the things that make a society strong.

Ours has devolved from that, because people see no duty to be involved and often "reward" others for the avoiding of duty and responsibility.

Or I could be way out beyond left field.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redleg2/9
posted Hide Post
Solution: Go back to public hangings.

“Leave the Artillerymen alone, they are an obstinate lot. . .”
– Napoleon Bonaparte

http://poundsstudio.com/

Posts: 2270 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
I'd do it for a plane ticket and a bag of popcorn.

Posts: 22858 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Buttered or dry?

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

Posts: 17459 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:

Buttered or dry?

Buttered with jalapeños please. Smile

In all honesty I'm not sure I'd be jumping up and down to volunteer, but if it came down to "hey we can't carry out the sentence unless we have witnesses" my hand would go up. If members of the victims family can't be there someone needs to make sure that justice is carried out.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Put it on Pay-Per-View and give the revenue to the victim's family. Way more than 6 people will be keeping tabs and there is actual restitution. It's a win-win.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
I would do it can I where my "Hell is hell" t-shirt?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4810 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
You mean there aren't six, 21-year-old, respectable Arkansas residents who are not related to the family of the victims or inmates and have no felony convictions? Eek

Big Grin

Posts: 4006 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why not take some repeat low level offenders and make them watch the executions. I cant think of a better scared straight program.

Posts: 5406 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
quote:
Solution: Go back to public hangings.

There is a certain subtle value to this; those that want to witness it, can. Those that do not can turn away. Those that might be considering crime might think twice about it.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15501 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gpbst3:
Why not take some repeat low level offenders and make them watch the executions.

Do you really want to draw your witnesses from among a population on the wrong side already? Post-execution news conference every dang one of them would be screaming about how things were botched and the guy suffered.

Posts: 8944 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mikeyspizza:
You mean there aren't six, 21-year-old, respectable Arkansas residents who are not related to the family of the victims or inmates and have no felony convictions? Eek

Big Grin

It is a problem.

half-genius,
half-wit
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by egregore: Their not allowing a witness to be related to the victim removes any other reason.

I can see that being a problem in parts of Appalachia....but not in Arkansas, surely?

tac

Posts: 11305 | Location: UK, OR, ONT | Registered: July 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
The Chinese never seem to have a problem drawing a crowd

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post