SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woman killed in alligator attack while protecting dog on Hilton Head
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woman killed in alligator attack while protecting dog on Hilton Head Login/Join 
posted
How long before some one posts,Why did they kill the gator? It was just being a gator.

https://www.islandpacket.com/n...rticle217007570.html

Hilton Head Island, SC

A 45-year-old woman who was killed by an alligator while walking her dog in Sea Pines on Hilton Head Island Monday morning has been identified, according to a Beaufort County Sheriff’s Office news release.

Cassandra Cline, a Sea Pines resident, was killed in the attack while trying to save her dog, state officials said. Cline was identified by Beaufort County coroner Ed Allen.

“It appears the alligator went after her dog and she tried to protect it,” said Sam Chappalear of South Carolina Department of Natural Resources.

Chappalear said the 8-foot alligator believed to be responsible for the attack was caught and euthanized.

Posts: 12728 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Crocks up, don't shoot!

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the verbiage, woman was killed and the alligator euthanized!
Guess they don't want to offend an alligator support group?

Jim

Posts: 1349 | Location: Southern Black Hills | Registered: September 14, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of indigoss
posted Hide Post
When you walk alligator food around alligator habitat and the food is eaten , who is the stupid one?

Posts: 1278 | Location: West Palm Beach, FL | Registered: June 11, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
quote:
Cassandra Cline, a Sea Pines resident, was killed in the attack while trying to save her dog,

Sad story but it sounds like she did save her dog?
(I didn't read past the advert)
quote:
The dog was unharmed, according to the release.

Posts: 7370 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe we think we're smart enough to not get into that situation ourselves, but can any of us say we wouldn't defend our buddies with our own lives?

--------------------------
Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
-- H L Mencken

I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.
-- JALLEN 10/18/18

Posts: 9167 | Location: Illinois farm country | Registered: November 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official Space Nerd
Picture of Hound Dog
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newtoSig765:
Maybe we think we're smart enough to not get into that situation ourselves, but can any of us say we wouldn't defend our buddies with our own lives?

I would like to think that I wouldn't let my dog(s) get killed without a fight.

Tough break, but I admire her courage.

Fear God and Dread Nought
Admiral of the Fleet Sir Jacky Fisher

Posts: 21853 | Location: Hobbiton, The Shire, Middle Earth | Registered: September 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Yes, most certainly yes.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12437 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jbcummings
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yet another reason to carry...

———-
Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for thou art crunchy and taste good with catsup.

Posts: 4306 | Location: DFW | Registered: May 21, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
we probably would both be dead i would die for my dog and he would die for me

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Mr Alligator would find himself leaking from several places if he tried to grab my old Ridgeback mutt. That’s how we roll.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hound Dog:
quote:

I would like to think that I wouldn't let my dog(s) get killed without a fight.

Tough break, but I admire her courage.

Who do you figure her family would choose: family pet or her?

Who would your family choose?

Sucks as it may, it's a hell of a lot easier to replace Fido than mom.

I miss my dogs but I wouldn't trade any member of my family to have them back.

quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
Mr Alligator would find himself leaking from several places if he tried to grab my old Ridgeback mutt. That’s how we roll.

This, of course, is the preferred option.

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Very sorry for this woman and her family.

Posts: 13295 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Saluki
posted Hide Post
My dog and I both understand he is a dog. Neither of us are fighting gators for the other.

----------The weather is here I wish you were beautiful----------

Posts: 5158 | Location: southern Mn | Registered: February 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reflex/deflex 64:
My dog and I both understand he is a dog. Neither of us are fighting gators for the other.

Yep. I suspect that when this lady intervened, she never imagined that the gator might opt for her instead of the dog.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
The dog lived. So that's good. Potentially a Darwin candidate.

Posts: 6662 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

I don't know that a 9mm will kill an alligator, but the pistol would be emptied trying to find out. Who knows? Perhaps just the noise and sharp pains would be enough to deter him.

===
I would like to apologize to anyone I have *not* offended. Please be patient. I will get to you shortly.

Posts: 2072 | Location: The Sticks in Wisconsin. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Did the woman have bite wounds? The only comment was from a witness who said he saw no wounds as her body was removed.
The report says the dog did not, and that the gator grabbed the leash instead of the dog.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15908 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
quote:

I don't know that a 9mm will kill an alligator, but the pistol would be emptied trying to find out. Who knows? Perhaps just the noise and sharp pains would be enough to deter him.

I remember reading years ago that alligator hunters used a .22 rifle to shoot the gator in the itty-bitty brain.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
we probably would both be dead i would die for my dog...

I wouldn't. As much as I would love my dog, human life is a lot more precious and I would ever risk my family or my own life over a dog's.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post