SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woman killed in alligator attack while protecting dog on Hilton Head
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woman killed in alligator attack while protecting dog on Hilton Head Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
quote:
Mr Alligator would find himself leaking from several places if he tried to grab my old Ridgeback mutt. That’s how we roll.

I don't know that a 9mm will kill an alligator, but the pistol would be emptied trying to find out. Who knows? Perhaps just the noise and sharp pains would be enough to deter him.

I remember reading years ago that alligator hunters used a .22 rifle to shoot the gator in the itty-bitty brain.

Swamp People, Troy Landry and the rest of the guys on the show in fact used 22lr to hit the quarter size kill spot.

Ever wonder why Troy was on the limited edition 300 packs of .22lr CCI?

Posts: 10061 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted Hide Post
quote:
...i would die for my dog and he would die for me

That's what she thought.

Woman: Rex, why aren't you helping me?
Rex: Screw that, that's an alligator.

I love my dog, but he's a dog and I don't trust him to do what I ought to do myself.

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never understood why states like Florida and South Carolina allow people and gators to co-exist. Get rid of one or the other.

Posts: 2560 | Location: Central Virginia | Registered: July 20, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
I go down to HHI a couple of times a year. Gators all over to say the least.

That's a jogging/walking/biking path you see the gator laying next to.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37195 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Cline was pulled into a lagoon by the alligator (pictured) on Monday on Hilton Head Island at about 9:30am

Blake Smith, 34, was leaving his house when he saw police cars and firetrucks in the neighborhood.

'I waited for about 30 minutes, then I started hearing rumors about what happened down the road from here,' Smith told the newspaper.

'It's odd because this is the first time we've heard about an aggressive alligator around a human in the five years that we've been living here.'

Smith said that at times, alligators have been spotted in yards or pools, but Sea Pines quickly removed those animals.

'They do a good job. This is just a sad incident,' he said. 'I have a young son, so it's kind of concerning to see something like this could happen.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...-South-Carolina.html

Posts: 13118 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
Good grief. I would do everything I could to protect my dog but no way would I give up my life (or anyone close) for him.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too clever by half
Picture of jigray3
posted Hide Post
I was on vacation at Hilton Head last week and spent 2 days at Sea Pines including playing golf at Harbor Town. Fortunately, I managed to avoid the water hazards, but kept a close eye on them when walking by. As you can imagine, the lagoons and ponds are very dark, almost black, and the gators are very well camouflaged.

I would have thought the locals would be more practiced at spotting them and familiar with their habits, but just because you have the money to afford a house there doesn't mean you understand the potential risk. Sea Pines is a highly developed residential/commercial area, but they worked to maintain a great deal of the natural foliage and cover, which means habitat. This attack occurred next to Sea Pines Country Club, but across the street from the 600 acre Sea Pines Forest Preserve. Likely where that gator came from.

"We have a system that increasingly taxes work, and increasingly subsidizes non-work" - Milton Friedman

Posts: 10362 | Location: Richmond, VA | Registered: December 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yea, dying for your dog is certainly your right. But if you choose that path you are an idiot.

Realistically speaking she probably didn’t comprehend that that was the actual choice she was making. If she had realized it was her or the dog she would probably be searching the internet this morning for Italian Greyhound puppies.

I love my animals. I wouldn’t die for them. Rethink your priorities.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
Not sure about the somewhat different climate, but in Louisiana we are at the tail end of nesting season. Baby gators are hatching. Most likely they were near a nest, and like a bear with her cubs, you don't want to be in between if she senses a threat.

Yes, a .22LR is the most common thing used to dispatch gators, but that is for gators that are hooked on a line; and it's still not easy to hit them in the sweet spot. A 9mm would definitely do the job on a 8 foot gator, but only with a brain shot, and I feel confident in saying that no one is making that shot while being attacked. Wrestling the gator would be your best bet. Only after getting it controlled would you be able to dispatch it.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:
Not sure about the somewhat different climate, but in Louisiana we are at the tail end of nesting season. Baby gators are hatching. Most likely they were near a nest, and like a bear with her cubs, you don't want to be in between if she senses a threat.

Yes, a .22LR is the most common thing used to dispatch gators, but that is for gators that are hooked on a line; and it's still not easy to hit them in the sweet spot. A 9mm would definitely do the job on a 8 foot gator, but only with a brain shot, and I feel confident in saying that no one is making that shot while being attacked. Wrestling the gator would be your best bet. Only after getting it controlled would you be able to dispatch it.

I remember my daddy telling me about when he was young fishing at night on the Amite. They found a baby gator and picked it up. It made some kind of noise and mama responded. Didn't take long for them to drop it and leave.
Daddy would be a 100 years old now. I learned early that gators don't play. And we have a few in Louisiana. Big Grin

Posts: 13051 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pretty sure wrestling a gator wouldn’t be my best bet. It would be way down the list, behind “shoot gator”, “run away” and “throw up and piss on myself”.

Posts: 27180 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I used to swim with a bunch of them in the St. Johns river. Rope swing into the water, with 40 people swimming, and aligators sitting on the banks all over. It was pretty dumb thinking back, but there were so many people that it didn't seem too dangerous.

Posts: 6705 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Expert308
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I used to swim with a bunch of them in the St. Johns river. Rope swing into the water, with 40 people swimming, and aligators sitting on the banks all over. It was pretty dumb thinking back, but there were so many people that it didn't seem too dangerous.

Maybe, but I suspect you'd witness a new world's record for all the other people clearing out of there as soon as the first one got grabbed.

Posts: 7418 | Location: Idaho | Registered: February 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
I love my dog, and would enter battle with him against another dog, and some other 2 and 4 legged land-dwellers with him, but going hands-on with a gator is a bridge too far. I'm sure the sense of guilt would be everlasting, but it would be the only sane choice.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by side_shot:
we probably would both be dead i would die for my dog and he would die for me

Is this in the same camp as people dying doing what they love?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12708 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post

I don't remember if I've ever posted this here, but this was the last time I was up to my ass in alligators.

Posts: 3547 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

I used to catfish at night with my father on the St Johns river. He brought home a baby gator one time after a frog gigging outing with his buddies. I thought that was pretty cool.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A for noble intent

F for execution

----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too old to run,
too mean to quit!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by whanson_wi:
quote:
Mr Alligator would find himself leaking from several places if he tried to grab my old Ridgeback mutt. That’s how we roll.

I don't know that a 9mm will kill an alligator, but the pistol would be emptied trying to find out. Who knows? Perhaps just the noise and sharp pains would be enough to deter him.

I remember reading years ago that alligator hunters used a .22 rifle to shoot the gator in the itty-bitty brain.

TV show about gator hunters. Most of them use .22,

Sad about the woman.

Elk

There has never been an occasion where a people gave up their weapons in the interest of peace that didn't end in their massacre. (Louis L'Amour)

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical. "
-Thomas Jefferson

"America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great." Alexis de Tocqueville

FBHO!!!

The Idaho Elk Hunter

Posts: 25656 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 16, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I wonder if 9mm ball would penetrate an alligator skull I sure hope so

Posts: 10213 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post