SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    New Jersey sues Sig
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Jersey sues Sig Login/Join 
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Will they go to Gun Broker or who for resale? LOL

SIG will take them back...or NJ will melt them down, or crush them. NO sales of COP guns in NJ.
Great Italian food, millions of good working class folks, but Draconian firearms laws and attitudes.

I recall back when the NJSP carried 6" K-38's and Colts, loaded with .38 Special, 158 RN lead. This was the 1970's with Super-Vel available and 90% of other Agencies were modernizing. NOT the SP.

I think their first upgrade was the HK P-7 debacle. They formed a group of Troopers to evaluate auto pistols. AMAZINGLY they picked the weird and expensive P-7. Stranger yet...one of the Troops who helped to choose the HK...Then went on to WORK for HK. LOL. Only in NJ.

From there my recollection is fuzzy, so no more comment.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They should have used some damn grease Big Grin

Posts: 13067 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
wcb6092 for the WIN!!!

Posts: 799 | Registered: January 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
The armpit of America
I spent a number of years living and working in The Garden State. I must respectfully disagree with you.

New Jersey is NOT the armpit of America.

Rectal orifice, maybe.

That one is already reserved by another state.

I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. -Ecclesiastes 9:11

Posts: 7392 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FN in MT:
quote:
Originally posted by ArLEOret:
Will they go to Gun Broker or who for resale? LOL

SIG will take them back...or NJ will melt them down, or crush them. NO sales of COP guns in NJ.
Great Italian food, millions of good working class folks, but Draconian firearms laws and attitudes.

I recall back when the NJSP carried 6" K-38's and Colts, loaded with .38 Special, 158 RN lead. This was the 1970's with Super-Vel available and 90% of other Agencies were modernizing. NOT the SP.

I think their first upgrade was the HK P-7 debacle. They formed a group of Troopers to evaluate auto pistols. AMAZINGLY they picked the weird and expensive P-7. Stranger yet...one of the Troops who helped to choose the HK...Then went on to WORK for HK. LOL. Only in NJ.

From there my recollection is fuzzy, so no more comment.

Their first upgrade was Ruger SS Security Six in 357 Magnum. After they started getting outgunned and killed by terrorists they went with the HK P7's. They then tried to go with the SW 9mm 99 but sued SW when they didn't work for them. They have a history of this.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that HK changed the P7 (bottom of handle mag release) to the P7M8 (standard US button on the side release) at the behest of the NJ troopers. That's both when the P7M8 was invented, and the NJ troopers were the early adopters. The 229 is a pretty old design, hard to believe that they had some many issues.

Posts: 1947 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I think the big guns should stay away from NJ and let them buy from Hi-Point or any of the big Saturday Night Special makers.

Q

Posts: 27511 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
quote:
The armpit of America

Para - Love your style! Smile

Posts: 3406 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
A few observations:

1) Article makes Sig look bad, but it should; it's a newspaper article and it's only the plaintiff's side of the story.

2) A lot of comments about NJ specific requests for the gun. I'm not sure how any special trigger pull weights, etc., would affect extraction, but regardless this is a non-issue, because if Sig agreed to build them that way, they are responsible for them working.

3) If they can run 10 miles in the sand while carrying 85 pounds, they don't need guns. They can just use their heat ray vision or super breath.

Posts: 3532 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
13121 your NJSP 228 is junk, please send to me for destruction.

Whatever the cause, that was way, way to long to fix the problem. SIG f-ed up, refund the money, fix the problem, sell as CPO and eat the difference.

SIG could probably fix them, sell as CPOs and still make more money per gun than the price of each gun for a big government contract. LOL

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by honestlou:

3) If they can run 10 miles in the sand while carrying 85 pounds, they don't need guns. They can just use their heat ray vision or super breath.

Amen! if the citizens can't carry then neither should the Cops, Judges and the politicians..As these Privileged few are the only ones allowed to carry!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: downtownv,

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8671 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its probably just an honest mistake. Maybe Sig assumed the guns should be New Jersey compliant and shipped them with three-round auto-jamming magazines. I've not read anybody else experiencing widespread FTE problems with the P229.
-
The best comment I have seen on the issue.

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If the United States needed an enema, New Jersey is where it would be inserted.

Posts: 15 | Location: Kingsport, TN | Registered: April 15, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sagacious
posted Hide Post
I am an owner of a P229 Stainless Elite 9mm manufactured in 2014. I have 5 other Sigs I've been shooting for 20 years. Those 5 are totally reliable. The 229 has been back to the factory twice and they have replaced the extractor spring and opened the chamber. There is nothing else they were willing to do. Sig says when they use the specific brand of ammunition they always use they find no problem. I find FTE problems with reputable name brands and commercial reloads.

Prior to contacting them the first time I did a little investigating myself. I noticed a small ding in the front of the extractor ring of several shells that failed to extract. Upon further examination I found the same ding on all the empty cases. I then marked several cases so I then individually hand chambered. That allowed me to see that the ding was being made at the same location as the extractor. My next step was to remove the barrel and see how the case fit against the breech face. It was my observation that the extractor prevented the shell from fitting flat on the breech face. I never could figure out how to measure or see if the case was flat on the breech face when the pistol was in battery. I did note that a when a shell was loaded into battery then ejected without being fired there was a minute mark, possibly from the ejector.

My conclusion is that the extractor is either to long or the front of the extractor "hook" is the wrong shape.

I believe that when in battery the base of the case is being held off of the face of the breech because the extractor is in contact with forward face of the case's extractor groove. When the pistol is fired the case is driven back against the extractor making a ding in the case while starting the extractor's pivot toward outer edge of the rim of the case. At this point, the extractor barely catches the rim of the case sometimes causing a failure to eject.

Posts: 8 | Registered: February 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rtquig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lacoppari:
If the United States needed an enema, New Jersey is where it would be inserted.

So nice that after 7 posts you decide to make a comment about NJ, but ignore what the real post is about.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4033 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious:
I am an owner of a P229 Stainless Elite 9mm manufactured in 2014. I have 5 other Sigs I've been shooting for 20 years. Those 5 are totally reliable. The 229 has been back to the factory twice and they have replaced the extractor spring and opened the chamber. There is nothing else they were willing to do. Sig says when they use the specific brand of ammunition they always use they find no problem. I find FTE problems with reputable name brands and commercial reloads.

Prior to contacting them the first time I did a little investigating myself. I noticed a small ding in the front of the extractor ring of several shells that failed to extract. Upon further examination I found the same ding on all the empty cases. I then marked several cases so I then individually hand chambered. That allowed me to see that the ding was being made at the same location as the extractor. My next step was to remove the barrel and see how the case fit against the breech face. It was my observation that the extractor prevented the shell from fitting flat on the breech face. I never could figure out how to measure or see if the case was flat on the breech face when the pistol was in battery. I did note that a when a shell was loaded into battery then ejected without being fired there was a minute mark, possibly from the ejector.

My conclusion is that the extractor is either to long or the front of the extractor "hook" is the wrong shape.

I believe that when in battery the base of the case is being held off of the face of the breech because the extractor is in contact with forward face of the case's extractor groove. When the pistol is fired the case is driven back against the extractor making a ding in the case while starting the extractor's pivot toward outer edge of the rim of the case. At this point, the extractor barely catches the rim of the case sometimes causing a failure to eject.

Interesting theory. You could test it by getting a donor extractor and filing the extractor so the case fits better. Never know, you might be on to something. What could go wrong? FTE?

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sagacious
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sagacious:
Remember folks, this suit is about the P229 Enhanced Elite. There is no claim of a problem with any other P229.

I too have a P229 Stainless Elite made in 2014. I I own a P230, P220 Stainless, P220(Germany), P224, p226, P229 Stainless Elite. The 229 has been returned twice to SIG for FTE. Sig replaced extractor spring and opend chamber. SIG says it is OK. It is still unreliable so is a safe queen.

Posts: 8 | Registered: February 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lacoppari:
If the United States needed an enema, New Jersey is where it would be inserted what would be washed out.

FIFY.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32002 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post