SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Problem with Juneteenth
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Problem with Juneteenth Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
No mattress sales ? I guess that's only on Memorial Day .

Posts: 4272 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Looking at life
thru a windshield
Picture of fischtown7
posted Hide Post
I saw a USPS truck drop off packages and shockingly my trash did get picked up, good thing I put it out .

Posts: 3790 | Location: FL, GA,HB, and all points beyond | Registered: February 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

My trash didn't get picked up today and neither did my recycling. No postal service.

Happy Kwanzaa
All of our municipal services (trash pickup, recycling, etc.) were fully functional today. No mail delivery.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31451 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pace40:
USPS delivered an Amazon package, but not regular mail. Just goes to show who's driving the boat.

I noticed that too. Weird.

So, if you follow the money.... Amazon pays the Feds to deliver their packages for a cheaper price than Amazon can deliver it themselves, and I'm also paying uncle sam an extra amount to cover their cost plus a profit to make it worthwhile for USPS to deliver it, so my total cost to deliver the package is equal to the sum of the cost and profit for BOTH organizations to deliver the package. Sounds like a match made in heaven for the USPS AND Amazon. How lovely.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
The problem with Juneteenth is that the slaves were freed on January 1st 1863.

January

Not June

Not exactly. The Emancipation Proclamation freed exactly zero slaves, as a practical matter. As a legal matter, it did less than that. Obviously Lincoln had no practical authority to free the slaves of states he did not control. And notably, the EP specifically did not address slaves held in border states like Maryland, Kentucky, or Missouri. This was not an accident.

The main purpose of the EP was to make clear to the citizens of Britain (which was close to recognizing the Confederacy) that the North intended to make the war about abolishing slavery. This made support of the Confederacy a very politically unpalatable option in Britain. This, coupled with McClellan’s turning back of Lee’s invasion of the North at Antietam in September, put the Brits into a “wait and see” attitude. As we know, things did not improve for the Confederacy from there. Politically, it was an act of sheer brilliance, but that is all it was.

Even after the war’s official end, many states continued to enforce de facto slavery until Federal troops actually ended it. Juneteenth is probably not an exact date, but it’s as good as any considering it was already a state holiday in Texas.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8887 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
Kwanzaa- real ?
Juneteenth- real ?
Toyotathon - real HELL YEAH!

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7293 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
At some point the bad guys will try to outlaw Christmas.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8931 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JR78
posted Hide Post
I’m waiting on the body count totals for today.

Posts: 1982 | Location: DFW | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I just hate the word "Juneteenth", it's fucking retarded sounding. Plus, I still gotta go to work, and I'm not getting paid any extra. Holidays come with holiday pay, otherwise it's just an excuse for the government to shut down and still get theirs.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17089 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
Toyotathon - real HELL YEAH!
Don’t you dare say Happy Honda Days up in here!

Posts: 45565 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
The proclamation declared "that all persons held as slaves" within the rebellious states "are, and henceforward shall be free."

Yes, and it took effect within the Confederacy during the war as Union troops gained territory and in all ex-Confederate territory after the surrender. That said, the slaves in the non-rebellious states (Kentucky and Maryland were slave states that did not secede, for example) were not affected by Lincon's proclamation, and those slaves were only freed by the enactment of the 13th Amendment, nearly two years after the Emancipation Proclamation - months after "Juneteenth" 1865.

I am fine with celebrating the end of slavery in the US, but do not understand why/how they got the dates that wrong. Were the decision-makers unaware of their history - that slavery wasn't only in the Confederacy in the 1860s?

Posts: 15157 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I think that the issue here is that this "Juneteenth" holiday has nothing to do with celebrating the end of slavery and everything to do with creating more division in this country. That is the only reason it was made a federal holiday when it was. The politics of division that the left is so very good at.

Posts: 20608 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Yes, that's the truth.

Posts: 109165 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
The problem with Juneteenth is that the slaves were freed on January 1st 1863.

January

Not June

Slaves were freed with the ratification of the 13th amendment in 1865. The EP was political theater.

That said, I don’t have a big problem with a holiday celebrating the end of slavery. But I also know political posturing when I see it and I see this “holiday” like others in this thread: as another good opportunity to point out bad White people.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10594 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Since Juneteenth is now a national holiday, why is 1974 not official end of WWII?

One Japanese soldier. Pretty obscure to know that.

Amok?

Posts: 16206 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Babylon Bee:

America Celebrates Juneteenth, The Day Republicans Freed All The Democrats' Slaves

Whenever you try to bring this awkward fact up with a Dem, they try to hit you with that Magic Switcheroo BS they made up to explain that away Big Grin

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
5 years ago 99% on the population had never heard of this made up holiday. Now it’s the greatest day in history. Sound about right.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 8019 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I’m happy with a celebration in honor of the end of slavery. Sadly, as with everything good, the Left has hijacked it and uses it as a bludgeon to injure the party that is responsible for the end of slavery while concealing its own guilt for perpetuating it. Ignorance of true history is the enemy of righteousness.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
Growing up, it was a thing around Houston/Galveston - and for all I know, it may make sense, there. (I was told it was when the slaves in that particular area were freed)

As for the rest of the country, it’s as BS as Presidents Day.

Posts: 5929 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Low Country, SC. | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by Tuckerrnr1:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Since Juneteenth is now a national holiday, why is 1974 not official end of WWII?

One Japanese soldier. Pretty obscure to know that.

Amok?

Lieutenant Hiroo Onoda in March and Private Teruo Nakamura December. I read Onada's autobiography when I was younger.

Posts: 5916 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post