SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    The Problem with Juneteenth
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The Problem with Juneteenth Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Well, we can have Juneteenth and Pride Month at the same time.

Oakland residents held a celebration at Lake Merrett, a park where I used to play with my daughter. Five people were shot, and an undisclosed number of policemen were assaulted. And yes, AP described it as a "mostly peaceful" event.

Posts: 17261 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
Well, we can have Juneteenth and Pride Month at the same time.

Oakland residents held a celebration at Lake Merrett, a park where I used to play with my daughter. Five people were shot, and an undisclosed number of policemen were assaulted. And yes, AP described it as a "mostly peaceful" event.

https://x.com/nicksortor/statu...665750894284991?s=42

I think a celebration, a day marking the end of slavery is appropriate in this country.
The rub that many have is the event/day is used as a cudgel by the Progressive to discriminate and push their agenda rather than celebrate a landmark achievement in human history.
Cultural holidays are generally welcoming to everyone (Thanksgiving, St.Patrick's, Chinese New Year, etc), this 'holiday' has a lot of effort put out by its supports to lecture, scold and give lengthy monologues while simultaneously use legal-levers to enforce and demand recognition of its importance.

This is an example of taking what should be a good thing, and stretching it to the absurd:

U.S. civil rights icon Opal Lee brings her Juneteenth walk to Tokyo
quote:
Known as the "Grandmother of Juneteenth," her team hopes Opal's Walk for Freedom can become a borderless celebration

It’s not every day you meet a living Civil Rights legend. Hell, it’s not every year, decade or lifetime that you get to meet someone like Opal Lee — and in Japan, no less.
Last month, the 97-year-old Dr. Lee and her team made their way to Japan on a 10-day tour that included various talks, a fireside chat at the American Embassy and a Let’s Talk About It event put on by the Legacy Foundation Japan. That’s where I met her.

Posts: 15084 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
this 'holiday' has a lot of effort put out by its supports to lecture, scold and give lengthy monologues while simultaneously use legal-levers to enforce and demand recognition of reparations.

FIFY

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
Sorry, until I lived in the Southwest in the 80’s I never heard of Juneteenth. And I didn’t hear about it until I worked with a guy from west Texas.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8405 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
No one ever heard of it outside one area in Texas where it was a minor regional holiday until President Pandering Joe and his handlers got involved.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Where does Juneteenth fit within the ordinal numbers? Before or after nineteenth?

Posts: 2561 | Location: KY | Registered: October 20, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
I grew up in Texas and have known about Juneteenth since the 1970s. If you drove by a city park near a black neighborhood you would see a large peaceful gathering having a barbecue. I think it is an important regional historical event and should be recognized exactly as it was.

I didn't think Congress/Senate/Biden needed to turn it into a national holiday.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1951 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'd also be tempted to ask if they know what a "cheap fake" is

That's the guy we see on TV crapping in his Depends.

Posts: 18381 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
No one ever heard of it outside one area in Texas where it was a minor regional holiday until President Pandering Joe and his handlers got involved.

Well, except Florida, where it was also recognized in 1991. And Oklahoma in 1994. And Minnesota in 1996. And Delaware in 2000. And Idaho and Oregon in 2001. And California, Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, and Missouri in 2003. And Colorado, New Jersey, and New York in 2004. And New Mexico and Ohio in 2006. And Massachusetts, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington in 2007. And Nebraska in 2009. And Georgia, Maine, and Nevada in 2011. And Maryland in 2014. And Utah in 2016. And Pennsylvania in 2019.

Oh, and don't forget President Trump endorsing making it a national holiday back in 2020.

But yes, other than that, definitely nobody had heard of it outside of Texas until 2021 when Biden became President and dreamed it all up.

Nevermind the additional fact that it wasn't enacted by some Presidential proclamation, but rather a bill introduced by legislators in Congress where they voted nearly unanimously to adopt it as a federal holiday. (100-0 in the Senate, and 415-14 in the House.)

You can blame Biden for a whole lot. But "inventing a holiday out of thin air" isn't one of them.

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

You can blame Biden for a whole lot. But "inventing a holiday out of thin air" isn't one of them.

Dude. You cannot seriously be simping for Joe Biden right now. Roll Eyes

I never said he invented anything. I said he took a minor regional holiday that I still maintain very few people ever heard of, and turned it into a national one with one goal in mind; to pander.

Posts: 34642 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:

Well, except Florida, where it was also recognized in 1991. And Oklahoma in 1994. And Minnesota in 1996. And Delaware in 2000. And Idaho and Oregon in 2001. And California, Connecticut, Illinois, Louisiana, and Missouri in 2003. And Colorado, New Jersey, and New York in 2004. And New Mexico and Ohio in 2006. And Massachusetts, Tennessee, Vermont, Virginia, and Washington in 2007. And Nebraska in 2009. And Georgia, Maine, and Nevada in 2011. And Maryland in 2014. And Utah in 2016. And Pennsylvania in 2019.

Oh, and don't forget President Trump endorsing making it a national holiday back in 2020.

But yes, other than that, definitely nobody had heard of it outside of Texas until 2021 when Biden became President and dreamed it all up.

Nevermind the additional fact that it wasn't enacted by some Presidential proclamation, but rather a bill introduced by legislators in Congress where they voted nearly unanimously to adopt it as a federal holiday. (100-0 in the Senate, and 415-14 in the House.)

Yeah, I've lived in Missouri since 1999 and I have never heard of this stupid holiday. I consider myself to fairly well read.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
It's no dumber than Columbus Day (pandering to WOPs).

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4637 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:

Dude. You cannot seriously be simping for Joe Biden right now. Roll Eyes

I never said he invented anything. I said he took a minor regional holiday that I still maintain very few people ever heard of, and turned it into a national one with one goal in mind; to pander.

No "simping" involved. Just stating facts.

While it was just a Texas thing for most of the 1900s, it wasn't just a regional holiday by the 2000s. It was recognized by a majority of the states years before Congress (not the President) chose to codify it as a national holiday in 2021.

It's ok to be wrong, or to have not heard of something. That doesn't make it Biden's fault.

Posts: 33102 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of hjs157
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

Is WOP now considered an internet friendly euphemism for dago?

Posts: 3569 | Location: Western PA | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's right up there with " Pride month " . Another seized opportunity to pander to a group of voters .

Posts: 4271 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:

Yes, in the great scheme of Federal holidays, I find it to be worthier than some. Though I do rather think it should supplant MLK Day (with no disparagement to the Rev., I like to think he'd agree).

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8887 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Tuckerrnr1
posted Hide Post
With
Out
Papers

That probably covered a lot of different people.

Posts: 5916 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
This is an example of taking what should be a good thing, and stretching it to the absurd:

U.S. civil rights icon Opal Lee brings her Juneteenth walk to Tokyo
Known as the "Grandmother of Juneteenth," her team hopes Opal's Walk for Freedom can become a borderless celebration

It’s not every day you meet a living Civil Rights legend. Hell, it’s not every year, decade or lifetime that you get to meet someone like Opal Lee — and in Japan, no less.
Last month, the 97-year-old Dr. Lee and her team made their way to Japan on a 10-day tour that included various talks, a fireside chat at the American Embassy and a Let’s Talk About It event put on by the Legacy Foundation Japan. That’s where I met her.
Maybe she could take her fireside chats across the waters to Li'l Kim's fireplace? You know, freedom from slavery and all that.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post