SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    As a lifelong Chevy guy, the current Ram is a better truck
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

As a lifelong Chevy guy, the current Ram is a better truck Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I'll start by saying I'm not a brand loyal guy.

I have a 19 Ram crewcab 6'4bed 5.7 Bighorn and I love it. I bought early into the new model after coming from a Silverado. The silverado was a good truck with only a few issues but was too small for all the new people the wife and I have been making. We are coming up on Memorial Day which is when I ordered mine and got a smokin deal on it. (apparently one of the better times to buy)

If you've never tried a factory vehicle order, I did it with this one and I couldnt be happier.

Its been a great truck so far, hauls everything I need it to, the cabin is very well laid out and comfortable. Even though the Bighorn is a lower trim the materials feel premium. I love the in floor drink storage on long trips and the kids feet cant reach the back of my seat with the extra room. The multiple electronic ports power all of our devices very well. The panoramic sunroof is almost always open and is simply amazing for some roadtrip sights. I went with the bench vs the center console for the front as I just fill a console with crap and I like the extra room and capability. The center folds and basically becomes a console anyways. Uconnect can be a touch weird every now and then but is generally a good system. Gas mileage is around as advertised mostly depending on what I'm doing.

No one else had the new iterations of their trucks out when I bought this but I'll say the offerings from Ford and Chevy didnt do it for me as the interior materials felt cheap and plasticy. I understand that would obviously improve with a top pkg truck but thats not what I was looking at. To build a comparable truck to what I got priced me out when looking at either. I checked out the Tundra but they didnt offer it with a crewcab and the longer bed so that plus the gas mi got it booted.

At my time of purchase the "lifetime" warranty was available so I went with that. If they ever bring it back it might be a good thing to look into.

Did I mention I love my truck? Its still my happy place.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I wasn’t planning on buying another GM (love and still have our Subarus), but we needed a truck. I have been putting new V8 Crew Cab Silverado through its paces.

First, I will say I do not care for Chrysler products. Living in the heart of Big 3 country, plenty of family and friends with them, and working in prototype development for a time many years ago, I just do not care for them. I won’t go into my reasons because it won’t change anyone’s mind. I have not however test driven the Ram but many really do like them here especially for towing.

I’ve had plenty of reasons not to like GM since our last one. That being said, here’s my impression of the v8, Crew Cab, Silverado in the lower trim levels:

It is a solid truck all around, but not a luxury vehicle. Most of them will not have every bell and whistle. They are far more utilitarian now.

The interior trim is basic but put together fairly well. Cloth seating is heavy material.
Plastics are not soft touch but nice, firm pieces. Definitely not luxury but not flimsy. I have had no issue with the shifter.

Stereos are run of the mill for current production. Missing some steering wheel controls on lower trims that really should be standard.

Garage door openers are hard to find on them – possibly because they are too long for most garages.

The Crew Cab size is huge. Tons of room.

A v8 5.3l with a six speed tows really nice. Maybe not the latest and greatest or a diesel, but a solid combination. I just pulled 9000lbs and I was honestly surprised. The brakes were excellent and the engine had more than enough power.

The trucks are fairly big. Recent models have had a small lift and many use 20 inch tires. My wife forced me to add nerf bars.

Negatives:
Bridgestone AS tires on some may not be the greatest and may have to go in the winter.

Lower trims should have power front seats at least.

Many do not have a 4-Low range anymore. Some still have the option.

Price, without discounts and especially for higher trims, is way up there.

Too many have the turbo 4-cylinder. V8s, especially the big one (premium fuel) are not as available.

While the 6 speed trans is solid, those really wanting the 8 or 10 speed will be more limited. Truly custom factory builds will not have tons of flexibility.

Luxury/convenience features only available on top tiers if at all.

Heavy focus is on the multi-camera systems.

If you want a crew cab, odds are you will only find the slightly shorter bed. A true long bed is not available in that format from what I recall, only one a little under 6’ and one a little over 6’.

My biggest complaint - the center console seatback (bench with fold-down section) on lower trims does not have storage that opens/closes. It's like they cheaped out some plastic and a hinge. The exact same seat back/console with storage is on the LT.

Posts: 17897 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another lifelong Chevy guy. Then I bought a 2015 Ram 1500 Limited. Loved it. Zero problems.

Last summer I decided I wanted a 2019 with the safety features - adaptive cruise control, blind spot warning, rear collision alert, etc. I was a bit concerned about all of this but I found a crazy deal on a new Limited and decided to try it.

All those safety features worked fine. But I have had a ton of trouble with the "radio". Touch screen is fine, but it constantly does weird stuff. Playing an XM station at the same time as an AM radio station. Forward looking camera goes on and wont turn off. Screen just goes blank of locks up for no reason. Many other similar issues. The dealer has replaced the "screen" and the computer behind it. That didnt do anything. Finally talked to "chrysler care" who said there was a software update coming to fix all of this. The update did fix a lot of the issues, but I still have trouble with the "surround" camera. It shows reverse view while backing up but then switches to forward view and wont go off until you stop and restart the truck. It still happens every few weeks.

Dealer gave me a 2020 Pacifica with a 6" screen as a loaner one time and it did the same thing! So not just a truck issue and not just a 12" screen issue.

I still love the truck, but I sort of wish I would have kept my 2015.

Posts: 582 | Registered: September 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Happily Retired
Picture of Bassamatic
posted Hide Post
I've owned a number of trucks over my lifetime, mostly ford but two GM's were in there. The last one was an 05 F150 Lariat. It was a good truck.

A little over a year ago I bought a new 2019 Colorado, Redline edition. V6, 8 speed trans pretty much all decked out and the tow package. This is, without a doubt, the nicest truck I have ever owned. Lots of power and the 8 speed trans has been flawless. I am getting 23 mpg compared to 14 mpg with the F150. The ride is solid and very comfortable. I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

.....never marry a woman who is mean to your waitress.

Posts: 5047 | Location: Lake of the Ozarks, MO. | Registered: September 05, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Interesting timing on this thread as I am looking at Trucks myself though mainly Toyota and Ford. I absolutely despise GM’s Active Fuel System and won’t buy another. Too be honest just never owned a Chrysler product and did not even consider the Ram.
Until the other night when discussing the purchase with my father in law who is a Toyota Truck guy had a new 90s Tacoma drove it until he bought a new 2008 Tundra that now has 240k miles that has been a tank.
In discussing the new truck purchase he asked why wasn’t I looking at the Rams? He said that if he goes to replace the Tundra he will certainly be looking at the Ram. He does his research on everything so when he talks you listen.
I typed in a little used truck search with the old Ram and found them to be reasonably priced.

Came across a 2018 Outdoorsman with the 5.7L and 43k miles here locally for an attractive price. My reading shows the Outdoorsman adds skid plates, HD towing package, and suspension, along with limited slip differential. While not a true locker LSD will likely suffice for me.

The Ram appears to have rear coils instead of leafs which I don’t think is a bad thing. There are plenty of super capable off-road SUVs out there.

I’ll go check it out tomorrow. Also the Outdoorsman does not have the goofy looking dual exhaust coming out of the bumper.
I am not sure if this model has the air ride or not. I hope it does not, I am planning to upgrade the suspension substantially so I’d rather not have it.

The Rebels look pretty sweet as well but seem to be a bit out of my price range.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25431 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
Swung by and looked at the Ram Outdoorsman. To my surprise the dealer was open today.
The Ram was nice but there is just no comparison in size to the Tundras Crewmax cabin. Far more space in the Tundra. I have 3 car seats to fit back there for years to come. So the Ram is off the list.

————————————————

Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Black - were you looking at a quad cab or a crew cab?
I sat in the back of a Ram with a crew cab last fall and it was incredibly roomy - my 6'3" son could fit back there with leg room to spare.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
I sat in the back of a Ram with a crew cab last fall and it was incredibly roomy - my 6'3" son could fit back there with leg room to spare.

Crew Cab and while it was certainly roomy there is even more room in the Tundra which is nice with car seats. The oldest boy can still get in and out of the middle seat with the smaller boys still in the car seats on either side.

————————————————

Picture of Krazeehorse
posted Hide Post
Truth be told you won't know if it's a better truck until you've had it for however long you keep your trucks.

Be careful what you tolerate. You are teaching people how to treat you.

Posts: 5689 | Location: Ohio | Registered: December 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Check out the Ram mega cab if interior room is your biggest need.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Better Than I Deserve!
Picture of LBTRS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

Crew Cab and while it was certainly roomy there is even more room in the Tundra which is nice with car seats. The oldest boy can still get in and out of the middle seat with the smaller boys still in the car seats on either side.

How is it possible that a RAM CrewCab isn't large enough? Mine is massive and three grown men can sit back there with ease. Something doesn't sound right.

My father in law has a Tundra and I don't remember the back seat being larger than mine but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

Posts: 4987 | Location: Phoenix, AZ | Registered: September 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LBTRS:
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
quote:

How is it possible that a RAM CrewCab isn't large enough? Mine is massive and three grown men can sit back there with ease. Something doesn't sound right.

My father in law has a Tundra and I don't remember the back seat being larger than mine but maybe I wasn't paying attention.

I think it may have to do with the bump outs on the front of the two side seats in the Ram that the Tundra does not have.
Three adults getting in and sitting is not an issue.
Put 3 car seats across have two kinds in the seats on the ends and having the 3 climb in takes a little more effort. So as much space between the back of the front seat to the front of the rear seat the better.

Rear doors on the Tundra seem longer too and the opening felt bigger than the Ram.

————————————————

Picture of PowerSurge
posted Hide Post
I can tell a lot of these guys have never sat in a Tundra crewmax. They’re huge. I’m 6’3” and my knees don’t get anywhere near the front seats.

———————————————
The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God. Psalm 14:1

Posts: 3975 | Location: Northeast Georgia | Registered: November 18, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
Mt Tundra Crewmax is an absolute pig on gas but a small family could live in the backseat. I'd love better gas mileage but I like the truck so much I'll just keep filling the tank.

Posts: 3462 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Hey Black,

https://www.fcaoffers.com/emer...e-incentive-program/

A bunch of our guys have bought new trucks in the last six months or so. The prices have been absolutely astounding. Almost to the point I'm thinking about selling my 2017 and buying new.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Hey Black,

https://www.fcaoffers.com/emer...e-incentive-program/

A bunch of our guys have bought new trucks in the last six months or so. The prices have been absolutely astounding. Almost to the point I'm thinking about selling my 2017 and buying new.

Building out a Crew Cab Tradesman still come out about 10k over budget.

I found this dealer closing out their Classic 1500 Exodiesels for almost 20k off sticker (or so their website claims).
Don’t have a clue what the difference between classic and new 1500 is.
I don’t want a diesel and guess not many others do well of they are priced this was.

https://www.hbchryslerdodgejee...32d029a102d840b3.htm

————————————————

posted Hide Post
One thing I noticed about Dodge is all of the games they play with rebates. It's super annoying. The car buying process itself is god awful but the pricing system they use manages to make it worse.

Posts: 2690 | Location: Baltimore | Registered: October 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post