SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vintage auto buffs- can you identify this car?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage auto buffs- can you identify this car? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's why it's looking like 1939 and 1959:

https://memory.loc.gov/master/...2/data/nj0982cap.pdf

Page 2 of that document. The photos labeled NJ-808-B-4 and NJ-808-B-6. I believe this is the photo I have which shows the black DeSoto.

Photograph B-6 was not taken by the photographer who took the other images listed in this index. The document indicates the photo was taken in 1939. I believe I am in possession of this aerial view photo although I cannot link it to the photo of the Main/Lakeside view of the main lab building (the photo from which the very first image I posted was extracted).

This is the photographer of the 1959 series of images, Jack Boucher.

Jack E. Boucher (September 4, 1931 – September 2, 2012) was an American photographer for the National Park Service for more than 40 years beginning in 1958. He served as the Chief Photographer for the Historic American Buildings Survey (HABS).

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
I'd say you are on point with the dates...

The vehicles are the late 30's and late 50's are most likely the time dates.

Since from 41 to 45 due to WWII, there were no production civilian models, makes it easier to date.
The first image, if you know it was taken in 39 is likely a good reference for that year. Again a 39
model car would likely have been in service through 1946.

The image with the 4 cars does show a 59 Buick, the fins and tail lights are unmistakable.

Next to it a 59 Ford Fairlane, again, the tail lights give it up.

Third is most likely a 58-59 Chrysler Product, Desoto, Plymouth, doubt it's a Dodge due to the tail light design. It has some characteristics of a Belvedere or Savoy, 1959 was at the end of the extreme design for large fins. Those vehicles fit the 59 presumption, and don't see any 60's era vehicles in the image.

Same for that Third picture, it's an early 50's Chevy, probably a 52, a 4 door you can see the the rear 1/4 glass in the image, which is gone in 53.

52 Chevy Deluxe

Behind it you see a longer lower model hints of a 1959 roof style line, lower body sides, behind that roof lines of the 50's with the 4th car.

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Agree that in the third photo, that car on the right is a '59 Buick. That is pretty distinctive.

I also agree that the Chevy Bel Aire is a '57.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow this might be the first time a "what is it" thread has had tons of guesses. Usually this forum is shocking on the amount of knowledge and usually by the second or third person there is an exact picture and reference material stating their case.

Posts: 3932 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Looks like a single piece of glass on the rear window to me.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10911 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

‘38 dodge?

Posts: 5769 | Location: west 'by god' virginia | Registered: May 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For anyone who wants to know what all of this is about:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9740034184

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post