SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Vintage auto buffs- can you identify this car?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Vintage auto buffs- can you identify this car? Login/Join 
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted
I'm trying to pin down the approximate date of a photograph. The photo was taken in the United States and this very poor quality partial image of an auto in one corner of the pic is about all I have to go on.

Any ideas?

Posts: 107740 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Late 30s, early 40s (?) and I'm leaning towards the Dodge Brothers.

Either that or a concept Volkswagen Potato Bug. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14041 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Could be a '39 Dodge 4-door:

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
I took a look at quite a few, that trunk seems like it was popular in 39 among a few makers. Those before and after aren't as blunt.

I'd guess the vehicle is a 39, likely a Pontiac 2 dr Sedan based on the thickness of the C Pillar, rear window, straight line down the body below the windows and the blunt trunk. Pic could be early 40's.

This is a 1939 Dodge

39 Oldsmobile

39 Pontiac

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38005 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of BlackTalonJHP
posted Hide Post
The trunk looks more like a 1936 Buick to me. Rear window does look like a Pontiac perhaps.

Posts: 1060 | Location: Texas | Registered: September 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
I think 1936 Buick, Pontiac or Oldsmobile, but photo doesn't show enough detail to narrow down exact year or make. A real expert on those years could do it, possibly by the wheels.

Edit: Seems little difference in rear end treatment between 1936-1939 Olds, Buick, Pontiac and Cheverolet 2 door sedans. The posted picture appears to have a prominent left side tail light with a plate mount and a less prominent right tail light. I'll surmise more upscale cars with the same body had two similar tail lights. So my guess is 1936 Chevrolet 2 door Town Sedan. Like this one:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/1f...a896bfddde57adc3.jpg

This message has been edited. Last edited by: pbslinger,

Posts: 7483 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
I don't know. Could it be a Plymouth? Cool

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19245 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
How about this? Detail from a different photo, almost certainly from a slightly different time period than the first one.

And this. These last two are details from a third photograph, possibly shot on the same day as the photo above:

Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
That one with fins like a longhorn steer is a 59 Buick, I think. Maybe a LeSabre.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10498 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bottom photo I think, right to left, Buick,Oldsmobile & Dodge or Plymouth. I am not a vintage buff, just was 15 at the time.

If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bullshit!

Sigs Owned - A Bunch

Posts: 4283 | Location: Nashville, Tennessee | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I believe the one in the top photo is a 1950 Chevy

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shaql
posted Hide Post
Top pic looks like a 1952 Desoto Firedome with that giant C pillar.

Hedley Lamarr: Wait, wait, wait. I'm unarmed.
Bart: Alright, we'll settle this like men, with our fists.
Hedley Lamarr: Sorry, I just remembered . . . I am armed.

Posts: 6852 | Location: Atlanta | Registered: April 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
In case it might help our pros, (I am not enough of a car buff to help with the ID) I used Photoshop to brighten and contrast the heck out of Para's first photo to highlight some of the body detail:

Posts: 15037 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
Bottom pic, white car on left sure looks like a late 50s Desoto

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1490 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bottom picture looks to be (right to left): 59 Buick, 59 Ford and a 57 Plymouth

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 813 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the cleaned up image. Paras first photo is definately the '39 black Olds posted by Rightwire. Its rear roof line to the trunk, rear bumper details and most telling are the 2 chrome thingys at rear trunk lid flat. '39 Olds boss.

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Look to be (right to left): 48 Plymouth and a 57 Chevrolet

A man should acknowledge his losses just as gracefully as he celebrates his victories

Remember, in politics it's not who you know...it's what you know about who you know

Posts: 813 | Location: CA | Registered: February 01, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig Marine:
Bottom picture looks to be (right to left): 59 Buick, 59 Ford and a 57 Plymouth

Here’s my guess at the row of parked cars, R-L:
59 Buick, 59 Ford, 57 Dodge Regent, 58 Ford wagon.

Posts: 13303 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, I had some evidence to suggest the photos in question were taken in 1939 and 1959 and it appears that's likely correct.

For anyone curious, these cars show up in photographs of the Edison laboratory in West Orange, NJ.

I'm doing a bit of investigative work- archeology, really. The grounds at tht site have changed over the years and I'm trying to pin down the location of certain buildings (no longer standing) on the site in West Orange, which is now a national historic site.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
First one is probably late 30's to early 40's, pinning down the date the picture was taken is made a bit more difficult when based on the vehicle. In that time frame WWII came on, and we saw civilian vehicle production halt as the US used GM, Ford, etc to build planes, tanks and Jeeps.

A 39 Plymouth could have been used through 45-46 easily since there were no replacements being made. That being said, production of the car likely 39 to 40 but it could be any year from 39 to 46 or later due to the war.

Arsenal of Democracy'

Within two months of the Dec. 7, 1941, bombing of Pearl Harbor, the last civilian cars rolled off the assembly lines, and auto plants were frantically converting to military-only production of arms, munitions, trucks, tanks and planes. By December 1942, Detroit had become the "Arsenal of Democracy" and didn't resume civilian production of automobiles until the war ended in 1945.

The others have cars that had no gaps in production, but back then some folks just kept cars longer, IE the 57 BelAir and a late 40's Convertable, perhaps a Plymouth... So you know it's at least 57 or later...

Posts: 23585 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post