SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which steak knives do you recommend?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which steak knives do you recommend? Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
Year and years ago, I bought a Wustof Classic block which had multiple kitchen knives.

A few years after that I bought a set of their Gourmet steak knives. These were much less expensive (but still pricy) than the Classic knives as they were stamped instead of forged.

They have held up OK I guess, since they are now over a decade old, but I have never been crazy about them.

I want a new set of steak knives. Which will be used on everything from steak, to chicken, to slicing cheese, to slicing fruit and veggies. Non-serrated edge. Forged.

I would like 6-8 knives. I would very much prefer not to spend Wustof type of money. Heck, I am looking at some decent sets of Amazon for less than $100.

What do you recommend?

Edited to add;

My wife got me this brisket knife for Christmas; https://www.amazon.com/MAIRICO...dExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

Holding it next to my good Wustof knives, except for the label, I cannot tell a difference. And this knife was $25. A Wustof of this size would be $150-$200. If this company made steak knives, I would have already ordered a set.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: holdem,

Posts: 2280 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Use Google to find restaurant supply stores near you in Orlando, FL. They will have a selection across different price levels. There have been items sold for less than I was willing to pay, and I've bought piece by piece because what I wanted was more expensive. What is great about restaurant supply is not having to buy a set, you can buy one or more at a time. Also great when something is broken, because you're not tied into buying a whole set.

I believe knives are like pistol grips, from person to person they will feel different.

If you're married, take your spouse with you and once you find what you like ~ check Amazon for price difference.

Posts: 2852 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
I have these and very happy. These are the stamped knives and not as spendy but still very nice

https://www.swissknifeshop.com...ow%20Bid%20%5BLow%5D

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Global looks cool. Comments do say slightly serated though.

Global GSF-4023-4 Piece Steak Knife Set, 4, Silver https://a.co/d/1k6x6nf

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
There is a small company down in FL that produces them. The name is something like "Randall". I have 6 of them, but it took me years to put together a full set of them. They're dead ringers for their hunting knives. Smile

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18385 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’ve been searching for a long time.

I’m considering going with some smaller morakniv knives. A found a set of three for $35. The bushcraft knives I have are solid and wicked sharp.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12683 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
There is a small company down in FL that produces them. The name is something like "Randall". I have 6 of them, but it took me years to put together a full set of them. They're dead ringers for their hunting knives. Smile

Randall knives are awesome, but wouldn't a set run in the thousands?

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16267 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
I have a set of Bellemain steak knives that we have been using for 3 years and we have been very happy with them. I can also recommend Henckels knives, they are excellent quality with a lifetime warranty.

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4358 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of Wustof straight edge steak knives a couple of years ago and wish I'd have done it long ago. While it is a task to keep them sharp as every time you cut down on the plate you dull it up, you can resharpen them. The cheapo serrated ones go in the garbage when they're dull. I bought a hand held Lansky sharpener just for them and it works great. Once in awhile I'll get a wild hair and break out the stones for them, but for steak knives? The Lansky keeps them sharp enough.

Posts: 19975 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
Year and years ago, I bought a Wustof Classic block which had multiple kitchen knives.

A few years after that I bought a set of their Gourmet steak knives. These were much less expensive (but still pricy) than the Classic knives as they were stamped instead of forged.

They have held up OK I guess, since they are now over a decade old, but I have never been crazy about them.

I want a new set of steak knives. Which will be used on everything from steak, to chicken, to slicing cheese, to slicing fruit and veggies. Non-serrated edge. Forged.

I would like 6-8 knives. I would very much prefer not to spend Wustof type of money. Heck, I am looking at some decent sets of Amazon for less than $100.

What do you recommend?

Haven't read the rest of the thread yet (will afterI'm done typing) but I couldn't wait to scream MERCER!!

I love my Mercer knives. I feel they are a steal at this price. I'd suggest either:

Genesis line

or

Renaissance line

The Renaissance line is available in a black traditional shaped handle, I'm just not seeing it available on Amazon. It uses the same forged blade as the Genesis line. I prefer the Genesis as I have bigger hands the larger handle fits me better.

Edit to add: My wife and I received a set of Kitchenaid brand kitchen knives in a wood block as a wedding present in 2006. They were very sharp back then but over 10 years they lost their edge. Several years back I got basic Worksharp Knife and Tool sharpener. For the effort and time involved it puts a fantastic edge on my knives and keeps them sharp enough for my use for sure. I often have people comment on how sharp my knives feel when they use them and it isn't because I have any skill sharpening them.. the Worksharp is an excellent value in both time and money.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We got a set of these Wustof steak knives
https://www.wusthof.com/produc...7821ef8f13b18b67b713

I think we got them at bed bath and beyond a decade ago…actually got two sets so we have 8 of them

They are straight, and I love them. Someone else mentioned they get dulled from the plates, but I have a little knife sharpener that has coarse and fine in the drawer

https://www.amazon.com/Sharp-3...en%2C133&sr=1-1&th=1

When they get dull I drag it across the fine side six or so times and it’s back to cuttin.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use Victorinox knives in the kitchen. Good bang for the buck and last forever.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Opinel are nice

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I've got a set of eight Cutco table knives that have always functioned beautifully. Parents bought 'em in the late seventies. The aren't the most handsome though, if you are trying to set a hoity toity kind of table for guests. Even though they are expensive as hell.

I never do stuff like that so they are the last I'll ever own.

Found this pic on Amazon. This set of 6 goes for $496.

Posts: 7233 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I have an 8-piece set of Tramontina Porterhouse size Steak knives, they are the big beefy larger size, larger handle and blade, and they are so comfortable to use. These are my favorites because they are a steak house size knife. I only use them as pretty much everyday steak knives, saving the really good ones for special occasions.

LINK $27.99, 5 Star Rating, Set

I really think this is an exceptional value, the price is low, they look good, and do a darn good job. Go ahead and order a set for $27.99, try them, you should like them, if you don't then send them back.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: OKCGene,

Posts: 11813 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Must be just me, but I hate serrated knives.... give me a good plane sharp blade on a steak or any other kind of knife.

A good carbon steal knife that is sharp can slide tomatoes and bread better than a serrated one....

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
If you can find a set of Laguiole’s on sale they are like a laser. Yes serrated, but it is a verrrry fine serration. Cuts smoothly, no tearing.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12350 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
I have a set of the Tramontina steak knives from Amazon. I got them with rounded tips, which I prefer. They are excellent steak knives.

They are just like OKCGene’s, but with rounded tips.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10487 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Awaits his CUT
of choice
posted Hide Post
Bought these on sale at Amazon. They work well, suprisingly sturdy and chunky handle. A good option if you want to go cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Posts: 2711 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by daikyu:
Bought these on sale at Amazon. They work well, suprisingly sturdy and chunky handle. A good option if you want to go cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The OP: “Non-serrated edge. Forged.”

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8856 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post