SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which steak knives do you recommend?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which steak knives do you recommend? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I like some of the knives these guys make
https://lamsonproducts.com/

Posts: 343 | Location: Atco, NJ | Registered: April 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
If one of the Zwilling Costco shows is near you they offer some of the best prices on the Pro steak knives.

https://www.costco.com/zwillin...utlery-schedule.html

Posts: 17869 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I was given 2 sets of these Zwilling 4 Star for Christmas about 20 years ago, They work great!

https://www.amazon.com/ZWILLIN...a-331479777830&psc=1

Posts: 3999 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Used Gerber Miming steak knifes. Amazing stuff which are no longer made. Take your time checking ebay and wait for a good set. Made in usa, they are like scalpels and easy to sharpen when dull.

Like this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/12551...SR_iF6YCwYQ&LH_BIN=1

Posts: 1916 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Like some others here I have Tramontina steak knives. Mine were ordered from their store direct https://www.tramontina.com/

I'm a big fan of their highest grade made in Brazil stuff.

These were bought in May 2021

Checked and found Amazon has them as well:
https://www.amazon.com/Tramont...Knife/dp/B08FXVNMBP/

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
This is what I'd get if I wanted exactly what you (op) want:
Link

Checks all your boxes and comes with a storage block to boot. $60

Posts: 7227 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
^^^^^ Made in China FWIW.

I also found it comical that they state to not use on glass or porcelain. What do they think plates are made of? Smile

Posts: 19974 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AKSuperDually:

So why is NOT flexing a desired trait?

The main line of Wusthof knives I have are these; https://www.wusthof.com/produc...oks-knife-1040100120

I have two of the 8" chefs knives. A 10" chefs knife. A bread knife. A 3.5" pairing knife.

I could get these same knives in the 4.5" steak version, but 4 of them are $325.

So, long ago, I bought these;
https://www.wusthof.com/produc...dcdddfccae9d0a09906d

The Gourmet lined is stamped, not forged. The tang is not as burly. Overall, the knife is lighter.

With the Classic series, I can cut anything I want. Whether it is a steak, or a block of cheese, or something else, the knife is solid and inspires confidence.

With the Gourmet series, the knife is not as solid. It flexes. Which does not inspire confidence. And one time, the blade even snapped in half. Think of how a plastic knife can snap in two when too much pressure is applied, that is what happened to one of these knives one day.

Because of this, I want a solid knife, that does not flex, and inspires the confidence that I can cut anything I want.

Posts: 2279 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:

I have a Wusthoff electric sharpener I use for my Kitchen set and it makes them like new. Are the dull or just getting dingy.

I have the sharpener. A few passes through and the edge is good as new. But they are getting dingy after 10 years.

The main thing is I have realized I just do not like the way the feel. My other knives feel overbuilt and inspire confidence. These do not.

Posts: 2279 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Put more steel in your hand… Get thicker knifes.

This is what Wüstof was known for over Henkles forever. More meat in the fricking blade. (They all pretty much use the same stainless steel coming out of Solingen, Germany.)

My own kitchen knives are Wüstof Grand Prix I, OG kitchen Chef’s knives. No longer made. Last bought 2 from eBay about 20 yrs ago.

Apparently they cheaped-out making “steak knives”.

You know what to do now. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I was just searching Vintage Wustoff Steak Knives on eBay. You can definitely find such there.

I saw a vintage set of Gerber Miming straight blade non-serrated. Then I rembered I have a vintage pack of 2. Took me awhile to remember when and where I bought those. 1979 at the House of Tobacco. Lol. I just placed a bid for the eBay set of 4.

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Buy better steak and you don't need steak knives.

And then get a small utility knife or a paring knife for those other tasks and you will only need one knife.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of asteirman
posted Hide Post
I have a set of stag handled steak knives I purchased in Scotland, made G.B. Wilson. Great quality and not that expensive. What I also enjoy doing is putting a different hunting knife on each person’s plate. I make sure they are “scary sharp” and glide through anything. I usually use a 3.5-4 inch knife. They make for great conversation.

Skill on Demand

Posts: 107 | Location: Republic of Vermont | Registered: April 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by asteirman:
I have a set of stag handled steak knives I purchased in Scotland, made G.B. Wilson. Great quality and not that expensive. What I also enjoy doing is putting a different hunting knife on each person’s plate. I make sure they are “scary sharp” and glide through anything. I usually use a 3.5-4 inch knife. They make for great conversation.

Smile

Now that is style, my friend…

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

This was the prime rib roast I cooked for Christmas. We did actually use butter knives, and could have been done with a fork.

But when I get prime grade NY Strips from Costco that are 1.5" thick, I want steak knives. Part of the experience is the feeling of a sharp knife slicing through a thick steak.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ perfection holdem!

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

If you have a pair of dial calipers, you can go measure your Wüstofs for thickness. I’d be interested to know how thick they are actually.

Well, the battery is dead, so I cannot get a true fully accurate measurement. But the thickest part of the blade, the top, away from the sharp side, is about 1.5mm thick.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:

If you have a pair of dial calipers, you can go measure your Wüstofs for thickness. I’d be interested to know how thick they are actually.

Well, the battery is dead, so I cannot get a true fully accurate measurement. But the thickest part of the blade, the top, away from the sharp side, is about 1.5mm thick.

mm To Decimals (in.)
———————————————————————
1.5 equals 0.0591”

Wow! I was guessing .060” but Jebuus… that’s close.

Yeah you’ll get >50% more stiffness if you add more meat and go to 0.080- 0.095” thick.

All my kitchen knife flat stock steels start around 0.090 - 0.125”

~Robert A. Heinlein

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:

This was the prime rib roast I cooked for Christmas. We did actually use butter knives, and could have been done with a fork.

But when I get prime grade NY Strips from Costco that are 1.5" thick, I want steak knives. Part of the experience is the feeling of a sharp knife slicing through a thick steak.

My favorite.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53116 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Well did you make a purchase? How is it going?

Posts: 11810 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post