SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Which steak knives do you recommend?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Which steak knives do you recommend? Login/Join 
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I like vintage Gerber knives, go on Ebay and search Gerber Miming or Steak Knives. These are on the smaller size but fine for your uses. For cheese, think about a fillet knife, maybe 5", we use a Gerber Muskie from the ,80s.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3397 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
women dug his snuff
and his gallant stroll
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by UTsig:
I like vintage Gerber knives, go on Ebay and search Gerber Miming or Steak Knives. These are on the smaller size but fine for your uses. For cheese, think about a fillet knife, maybe 5", we use a Gerber Muskie from the ,80s.

Funny, I was just about to recommend Gerber Miming knives. My parents have been using two sets for at least 30 years. They bought me a used set about 10 years ago and I really enjoy them. If you're ok with buying used, hard to go wrong.

eBay link

Posts: 10823 | Registered: August 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Randall knives are awesome, but wouldn't a set run in the thousands?[/QUOTE]

What else are you going to do with your money? They used to give steak knives away with fill-ups too. One time at a flea market I bought a whole jar of those. Don't recall what happened to them, but I never throw anything away. I do know where my Randall's are. You keep track of those. And never put them where my wife can wash them with other crap.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
If you need a steak knife… you bought the wrong beef. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
We've got a set of some that someone gifted us almost 15 years ago. Pretty sure they are a set of Wustof or something of the sort. These eventually came out of the little storage box they came in. Went into the dishwasher & cutlery drawer.

So when I replace them I'll find something I can do equally. Toss into a drawer. Touch them up when needed. Toss in Dishwasher when convenient.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8847 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cutco for dinner steak knives.

Posts: 1447 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
Must be just me, but I hate serrated knives.... give me a good plane sharp blade on a steak or any other kind of knife.

A good carbon steal knife that is sharp can slide tomatoes and bread better than a serrated one....

I too am not fond of serrated steak knives. I'll happily eat with them when invited over, but I find even with the most tender cuts they tend to tear rather than clean cut.

Those Wusthofs look great. The mercers are near half the price and they look very serviceable.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just bought a set of Rada knives, USA-made in Iowa, with a lifetime warranty. Serrated steak knife set is in transit as we speak. My paternal grandparents bought some in the 1960s and I still have a couple.

Posts: 490 | Location: Middle Alabama | Registered: February 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
I have these and very happy. These are the stamped knives and not as spendy but still very nice

https://www.swissknifeshop.com...ow%20Bid%20%5BLow%5D

Those are what I have already that I am not crazy about. They are decent, but way overpriced.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rburg:
There is a small company down in FL that produces them. The name is something like "Randall". I have 6 of them, but it took me years to put together a full set of them. They're dead ringers for their hunting knives. Smile

Hah! I drove past their facility just an hour ago. I am guessing those would cost a fortune. And I would have them in 10 years.

Posts: 2285 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I think you don’t really require forging… Maybe just a thicker material on the blade?

If it was stamped out of a 0.25” steel, you wouldn’t think it was floppy. Razz

Half of that at 0.125 inches is still pretty thick for a lighter blade.

Those Wüstofs look thinner by half yet again.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of holdem
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
I think you don’t really require forging… Maybe just a thicker material on the blade?

Yes, probably true. The Wustofs I can bend. I want ones that do not bend.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:

Yes, probably true. The Wustofs I can bend. I want ones that do not bend.

So this is going to seem counterintuitive at first… But stay with me for a second.

Really well-made forged knives can bend 90° and not break, never entering plastic deformation. Meaning they retain their shape after the test.

Well-formed steel crystalline structures will allow for this. Bad metallurgy and heat treatment will snap unexpectedly, or just bend and stay bent. (This is a fundamental test in the ABS Master Smith classification tests. These are often full-size knives with some thickness. Kind of scary to actually watch.)

But what I’m saying is that a bending knife isn’t necessarily a bad thing… It’s just a characteristic that can be desirable in something like a fillet knife.

If you want a stiffer blade, get it stiff in the spine, i.e. the thickness of the blade.

That would get you what you want!

If you have a pair of dial calipers, you can go measure your Wüstofs for thickness. I’d be interested to know how thick they are actually.

I would think something like 80 thousandths would be stiff enough for you, but you can go to an eighth of an inch and be certain.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
rburg said:
Randall knives are awesome, but wouldn't a set run in the thousands?

What else are you going to do with your money? They used to give steak knives away with fill-ups too. One time at a flea market I bought a whole jar of those. Don't recall what happened to them, but I never throw anything away. I do know where my Randall's are. You keep track of those. And never put them where my wife can wash them with other crap.

I'm sure that's all true, but the OP said:

quote:
I am looking at some decent sets of Amazon for less than $100.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16310 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
I'm confused over the "not bending" request. My favorite steak knife is one I inherited or stole from my mom, who I'm pretty sure got it from my great-grandmother, who likely had it gifted or picked it up at a swap meet because they were dirt poor rural idahoans.

It's got a plastic handle, 60's style plastic looking white, near opaque even. A thin, ~4" long blade, stainless in appearance. Very flexible, like a good small fish filet knife. It holds an edge amazingly, I've only sharpened it once in 25 years. I use it 2-5 times a week.

I like it, because it will flex around bones like pork chops and t-bones, perfectly removing all the meat at the bone. It still slices perfect bites once the meat is de-boned. No flexing when used straight down, and zero tearing of the meat (no serrations). If I could find them...I'd buy a set.

So why is NOT flexing a desired trait?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
^^^ because, that’s what he wants. That’s why we have horse racing and different flavors of ice cream brother.

Wink

~Robert A. Heinlein

blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
quote:
^^^ because, that’s what he wants. That’s why we have horse racing and different flavors of ice cream brother.

Wink

Your not helping. lol. Well, you are, you bumped the thread to the top so perhaps the OP will answer the question.

Since we're here... what's you're flexible steak knife preference...and why?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13950 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I’ve used my Morakniv Companion as a steak knife many times.
At $20 or less it’s a good deal.
I also have some of the Opinel plastic handle steak knives.
Those were about $16 each.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Ha! Good question…

I don’t use steak knives.

I am the chef in the house and I generally cut up the meat to store/freeze it, and then I’m the guy that cooks it, and so I also tend to slice it up on the cutting board for everyone at dinner.

Except for guests who get tender meat that doesn’t ever require a steak knife.

Ymmv lol …

~Robert A. Heinlein

Good enough is neither
good, nor enough
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by holdem:
quote:
Originally posted by sig77:
I have these and very happy. These are the stamped knives and not as spendy but still very nice

https://www.swissknifeshop.com...ow%20Bid%20%5BLow%5D

Those are what I have already that I am not crazy about. They are decent, but way overpriced.

I have a Wusthoff electric sharpener I use for my Kitchen set and it makes them like new. Are the dull or just getting dingy.

There are 3 kinds of people, those that understand numbers and those that don't.

Posts: 2034 | Location: Liberty, MO | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post