SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mobile Device Amber Alerts: Do You Pay Them Any Heed?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mobile Device Amber Alerts: Do You Pay Them Any Heed? Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
No

Q

Posts: 26396 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The success of a solution usually depends upon your point of view
posted Hide Post
I ignore the amber alerts but i do pay attention to the silver alerts in case its about me. Razz

“We truly live in a wondrous age of stupid.” - 83v45magna

"I think it's important that people understand free speech doesn't mean free from consequences societally or politically or culturally."
-Pranjit Kalita, founder and CIO of Birkoa Capital Management

Posts: 3853 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: September 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I pay attention, understanding that there's very little chance I'll encounter the person or vehicle.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Thanks for participating, y'all.

The majority response, nearly 70% either having Amber Alerts disabled or simply ignoring them, mirrors what I did and have done.

I'd left them enabled for the longest time. Eventually I realized, as one or two other respondents noted, they always occurred when I was either in no position to pay them any heed (work, driving, etc.) or I was home for the evening and wasn't going anywhere.

Bottom line: The alerts simply unnecessarily raised my stress level. So I disabled them. I don't feel that's selfishness, but reason. Why have something enabled that serves no purpose other than to freak me out on occasion?

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
Mine get turned off as soon as I get a new device. I would probably appreciate them if they were more localized and less obnoxious. A notification that I can click on would be awesome. Getting woken up in the middle of the night for an alert 200 miles away is not.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I got fed up with receiving alerts from all over Texas, areas 150-500 miles from Jerkwater, and shut them off.

Posts: 26910 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I don't get that shit on my phone, but if I did, yeah, I would ignore them.

This trend of making and naming laws after some individual and all of this "Amber alerts" or "Maddie's Call" horse shit makes me want to puke.

OP, what is the point of inserting comical answers into your poll? What point is there in offering a poll that's flawed by its construction? How are you going to interpret the results you get?

I don't understand why some of you guys do this.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
OP, what is the point of inserting comical answers into your poll?

Seemed to be traditional, here. I'll forego it in future polls.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Traditional? No. Bad trend? Most definitely.

Posts: 107612 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
My phone must set somehow to only get an alert for the area I am physically in. For example I live in Austin and only get alerts for that area when I am home, but if I travel to Houston I will get a Houston one while I am there.

I do pay attention and I keep an eye out for the vehicle. I actually came across the vehicle for a suspected child abduction once and was able to get police to the vehicle and take the driver into custody.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

The first emergency alert I got when they became available on the iPhone was a weather alert for a severe dust storm, for an area (suburb?) south of Phoenix about 100 miles from me (Wickenburg is 60 miles north of central Phoenix). All alerts disabled right away. And the screeching sound they make could wake the dead.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
I’ve left them enabled on my phone, but will probably turn them off now. For whatever reason, I get alerts from all over the country, and never anything remotely close to me. Yesterday I got one for somewhere in Montana. I’m near Seattle. That’s been the closest one by far. Just doesn’t seem worth the stress.

Posts: 17135 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Turned off as soon as it became a thing.

I get text alerts from local agencies. A friend actually found a missing person due to those alerts.

Posts: 4278 | Location: Peoples Republic of Berkeley | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post