SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Mobile Device Amber Alerts: Do You Pay Them Any Heed?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mobile Device Amber Alerts: Do You Pay Them Any Heed? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
Something posted by a relative on Facebook started a conversation about Amber Alerts on mobile devices. That got me to wondering how many people actually pay them any heed and how many do otherwise, so...

Question:
Amber Alerts on your mobile devices: Do you...

Choices:
Pay close attention and watch for the subject of the Alert
Dismiss them without further thought
Disable the feature on your device(s)
My mobile device(s) don't have the feature
I like ponies

Question:
I'm...

Choices:
LE, Fire/EMS, Search & Rescue, other emergency services--volunteer or otherwise, past or present
Just a plain old run-of-the-mill citizen
You're better off not knowing

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I used to pay close attention. Then there were emergency alerts for everything in Washington. It would wake you up and terrify you in the middle of the night. Second or third time that happened, off they went.

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Well you didn't allow for those of us who like ponies and read the alerts....

I glance at them, if they are in my area I keep my eyes open. Got one for Baltimore yesterday. WTF I'm at hour and twenty minutes from there? If they did it to a 15 mile radius of the closest tower to the abduction then it'd probably be more effective.

My biggest rant about them is I carry two different phones, with different carriers. After getting crap scared out of me and clearing first phone, second one goes off thirty seconds later and startles me again. Especially when I'm listening to something on my phone through speakers on vehicles, Amber Aleerts at 70 decibels suck.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
Depends on how close to home they are. I don't see how they hurt to know. I don't live in an area where I get a lot of false alerts.

Posts: 9516 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
Mine is set to extreme alerts only. They got a little crazy with posting Amber alerts from places all over the place. Plus, unless they park in my driveway i'm not going to see anyone.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I turned the alerts on my phone off.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post

Similarly annoyed with them - as well as emergency alerts, usually for weather events - on my TV.

Posts: 27964 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's all part of
the adventure...
posted Hide Post
I read them and if I’m out and about, will try to keep my eyes open.

Regards From Sunny Tucson,
SigFan

NRA Life - IDPA - USCCA - GOA - JPFO - ACLDN - SAF - AZCDL - ASA

"Faith isn't believing that God can; it's knowing that He will." (From a sign on a church in Nicholasville, Kentucky)

Posts: 1681 | Location: Tucson, Arizona | Registered: January 30, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
Houston Metropolitan Area is over 5 million people, and larger than the state of Rhode Island and Connecticut. In other words, the alerts are way too broad to pay attention to so I turned them off.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23263 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Never pay them any attention. I don't/can't look at my phone when I'm driving. Once I'm home I won't see them from my living room anyway. And my phone is so old I can't turn them off either.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I do look at where the alert is for, and if it's somewhat nearby (which it usually isn't) and I'm going to be awake and on the road reasonably soon, I keep it in mind.

If I'm going back to sleep after it jarred me out of bed, or the vehicle is thought to be nowhere nearby, or if I'm staying put someplace (home, work, etc) I ignore the alert because in any of those situations, I'll not be in a position to observe the suspect vehicle anyway.

I don't mind ponies, they're kinda like giant toddlers, but once you get past the dang things being able to hurt themselves even after you've taken every safety precaution possible, they're OK.

-------------
$

Posts: 7655 | Location: Mid-Michigan, USA | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The last amber alert I received said to check my local news for details. After that they were disabled.

Posts: 5418 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
I didn’t vote because there was no applicable answer. I look when I get them, but they tend to be pretty far away.

If the alert were more localized, I’d keep an eye out. But, there’s not much point when the alert is for an incident 100 miles away.

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6405 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My hearing aids connect wirelessly to my iPhone. After having an alert go off full blast into my hearing aids once, the alerts have been disabled ever since.

Sgt. USMC 1970 - 1973

Posts: 411 | Location: Columbiana, Ohio  | Registered: May 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I’ve disabled the mobile alerts.

If I see a LED sign with one while I’m out I take note of the details and I keep an eye out. But I don’t need an alarm going off on my phone at random hours.

If I could set it to a text alert without sound I would. I have no idea why that’s not an option.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15255 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Well you didn't allow for those of us who like ponies and read the alerts....

I glance at them, if they are in my area I keep my eyes open...

This is basically me. If it's in my area and I am out and about, I pay attention but most of the ones I get are for things miles from me, sometimes as far away as Tampa or Melbourne. If I'm at home, I don't pay much attention, either. My house is 1,000' from the road. I'm not going to see much.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12779 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
I turned that Amber Alert shit off on day one of owning a smartphone and it’s never been turned back on.

Posts: 33815 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Its a distance thing for me. I get alerts from below the bridge and from Wisconsin. Which is pointless.
Related: I get annoying EWS messages on my TV too.
From Wisconsin.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16094 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I’ve never seen one that didn’t appear to be a domestic dispute.

Posts: 18069 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
since its hands free driving laws mostly out here, if my phone has an alert, its breaking the law for me to read it...so the car with the kidnapped 8 year old girl just went by me and I can't do anything about it

They have large digital display boards over the highway in a few spots, but whats the chances of successfully reading a license plate from 100 feet away at 75 mph? Slim to none.

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53186 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post