SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fentanyl in Baltimore
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fentanyl in Baltimore Login/Join 
wishing we
were congress
posted
http://www.baltimoresun.com/he...-20170913-story.html

difficult article to summarize
a scary read though

China is turning out new versions of the cheap, powerful and often deadly synthetic opioid faster than U.S. authorities can identify, classify and ban them.

Fentanyl deaths in Maryland leapt from 186 in 2014, when the drug began appearing here in volume, to more than 1,100 last year — one of the largest jumps in the nation.

Overdoses linked to fentanyl pushed overall drug- and alcohol-related deaths last year above 2,000 in Maryland and 60,000 across the country, making intoxication the leading cause of death for Americans under age 50.

Heroin wholesales for $50,000 to $60,000 a kilogram. A kilogram of fentanyl can be had for $2,500

Posts: 19759 | Registered: July 21, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
I don’t understand how users even mess with this stuff anymore knowing how volatile the drugs are.

Of course, they’re so deep into their addiction they don’t even care. What am I talking about?

Posts: 5083 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but good riddance to bad rubbish. It's Darwinism/natural selection at it's finest.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
for users who don't want to recover and don't care, sure. I have a hard time caring.

but fentanyl OD is a huge risk to cops and first responders, medical personnel, and anyone who may accidentally touch the shit.

I googled "fentanyl brush cops" looking for the article I read a while back, but it brought up a whole slew of articles explaining how police and emergency services have OD'd simply from contact with it.

Posts: 7547 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
It's all done to get money and market share with very willing users.

Posts: 4249 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
in the article, one drug user said when she found out someone OD'd on a particular drug, that is the drug she wanted because it would be powerful.

Fool for the City
Picture of MRMATT
posted Hide Post
quote:
China is turning out new versions of the cheap, powerful and often deadly synthetic opioid faster

Our friends, the Chinese.

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." George Washington.

Posts: 5312 | Location: Pottstown, PA | Registered: April 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
This is the stuff we are seeing in my town.

CARFENTANIL

Posts: 842 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
safe & sound
Picture of a1abdj
posted Hide Post
quote:
but fentanyl OD is a huge risk to cops and first responders, medical personnel, and anyone who may accidentally touch the shit.

I googled "fentanyl brush cops" looking for the article I read a while back, but it brought up a whole slew of articles explaining how police and emergency services have OD'd simply from contact with it.

I suspect most of the OD situations, if that's truly what they were, involved the stricken person inhaling the drug. It is not that easy to OD just by touching it.

www.zykansafe.com

Posts: 15846 | Location: St. Charles, MO, USA | Registered: September 22, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
There is a world elsewhere
Picture of Echtermetzger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'll probably get flamed for saying this, but good riddance to bad rubbish. It's Darwinism/natural selection at it's finest.

If drugs worked like suicide machines, that might be just fine in your view.

But they are more like a terrorist's suicide vest, loaded full of ball-bearings and plastic explosives.

Drug use doesn't affect the user, it affects their family, their community, society. Drug addict often resort to theft, prostitution, robbery to fund their addiction since they can't keep jobs. the cascade effects hit our judicial systems, health care, insurance, etc.

Plus, they are human beings.

A well balanced breakfast being necessary to the start of a healthy day, the right of the people to keep and eat food shall not be infringed.

Posts: 6685 | Location: The hard land of the Winter | Registered: April 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drug Dealer
Picture of Jim Shugart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Drug use doesn't affect the user, it affects their family, their community, society. Drug addict often resort to theft, prostitution, robbery to fund their addiction since they can't keep jobs. the cascade effects hit our judicial systems, health care, insurance, etc.

All of that is indisputable. It also all goes away very soon after they OD and come to room temperature.

When a thing is funny, search it carefully for a hidden truth. - George Bernard Shaw

Posts: 15529 | Location: Virginia | Registered: July 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have little sympathy for users of these drugs. I lost my son to an overdose of Oxycontin in 2008. What I am so pissed off about these circumstances is the the fact that the pharmaceutical industry is overproducing pills despite knowing that they are going to be diverted, AND that the People's Republic of China is manufacturing Fentanyl and smuggling it in to the United States to weaken us, and generally affect our national defense. This article is just one story in tens of thousands that are playing out in the United States. It's a national tragedy, that we can't seem to get our arms around.

Just one more.

Posts: 1854 | Location: Colorado | Registered: October 31, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
I've done considerable thinking on this very topic.

Drug kingpins are not stupid. They are certainly smart enough to realize that selling really cheap to produce drugs with a high fatal overdose potential (e.g., Carfentannil) is going to reduce their customer base, reduce revenue, plus attract the attention of federal, state, and local law enforcement to the point where smuggling, distribution, and sale become much higher risk ventures.

So why are they selling nearly pure Carfentannil and Fentanyl to morons on the street who promptly OD on the stuff?

And why is China the source?

These three observation lead me to wonder if there is a motive other than money.

I put forth for the hive mind this idea:

What if the objective of the introduction of these really dangerous drugs like Carfentannil and Fentanyl is not profit?

What then might be the motive?

It could be a deliberate strategy to strain our first responder network to the breaking point. Consider the redirection of police to not only investigate the criminal behavior, but now cities expect cops to be poorly trained paramedics with a spray bottle of Narcan in their gear. EMS and Fire services are overwhelmed by the OD rate. Hospital emergency departments are dealing more and more with the overdosed addict population.

And cracks are already appearing.

If I were going to try to strain a first responder network to the breaking point with the intention of doing something else to send it totally over the rim by introducing a wave of new problems, well, this is a hell of a good way to do it.

What happens with a coordinated major terrorist attack or three or four just like Le Bataclan or a bunch of separate lone wolves like San Bernadino or Las Vegas happened in Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Harlem, and St. Louis? Suddenly the strain on the system skyrockets. We were damned lucky the murdering pieces of shit that did San Bernadino and Las Vegas weren't more efficient in executing their murderous plans. Either of those attacks, if better executed, could have so badly harmed the local first response network that the system might have gone off the rails. Coupled with a triggering event like a Caucasian male in a cop uniform using a machine gun to murder African-America kids outside of a church touching off a riot that was uncontrollable and you see 1968 all over again.

Even if this was not the plan, imposing great strains on the system is one easy way to test resilience. Do it over and over and you might have a new piece of actionable intelligence. And in this case there are few, if any, fingerprints left by the instigators.

Just my idle musings. But interesting musings nonetheless.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
saw this article about "gray death"

https://www.drugs.com/illicit/graydeath.html

Grey Death can be a mixture of:

Heroin
Fentanyl and more potent designer versions of fentanyl
Carfentanil
U-47700 (pink) - a designer drug
Possibly other opioids or other unidentified drugs

Because furanyl fentanyl and U-47700 are lethal at very low doses, law enforcement, health care providers, and the public should use extreme caution when handling these drugs. Gray Death powder can be inhaled or absorbed through the skin and can be extremely toxic, even in the smallest quantities, and rapidly lead to fatal respiratory depression.

Law enforcement officials have been warned to use extreme caution and wear personal protective equipment when confiscating, handling or packaging any synthetic opioid, including Gray Death.

However, some reports state that even protective gloves may not be enough. An officer in Ohio recently accidentally overdosed on the Gray Death when he touched the drug during an arrest.

Carfentanil, a large animal tranquilizer often used to anesthetize elephants, has been found in the product. If carfentanil is mixed in the product, it could add to the rapidly lethal effect. Carfentanil is 100 times more potent than fentanyl and 10,000 times more potent than morphine.

Irksome Whirling Dervish
Picture of Flashlightboy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig2340:

Drug kingpins are not stupid. They are certainly smart enough to realize that selling really cheap to produce drugs with a high fatal overdose potential (e.g., Carfentannil) is going to reduce their customer base, reduce revenue, plus attract the attention of federal, state, and local law enforcement to the point where smuggling, distribution, and sale become much higher risk ventures.

So why are they selling nearly pure Carfentannil and Fentanyl to morons on the street who promptly OD on the stuff?

These three observation lead me to wonder if there is a motive other than money.

What if the objective of the introduction of these really dangerous drugs like Carfentannil and Fentanyl is not profit?

It could be a deliberate strategy to strain our first responder network to the breaking point. Consider the redirection of police to not only investigate the criminal behavior, but now cities expect cops to be poorly trained paramedics with a spray bottle of Narcan in their gear. EMS and Fire services are overwhelmed by the OD rate. Hospital emergency departments are dealing more and more with the overdosed addict population.

If I were going to try to strain a first responder network to the breaking point with the intention of doing something else to send it totally over the rim by introducing a wave of new problems, well, this is a hell of a good way to do it.

What happens with a coordinated major terrorist attack or three or four just like Le Bataclan or a bunch of separate lone wolves like San Bernadino or Las Vegas happened in Baltimore, Chicago, Detroit, Harlem, and St. Louis? Suddenly the strain on the system skyrockets. We were damned lucky the murdering pieces of shit that did San Bernadino and Las Vegas weren't more efficient in executing their murderous plans. Either of those attacks, if better executed, could have so badly harmed the local first response network that the system might have gone off the rails. Coupled with a triggering event like a Caucasian male in a cop uniform using a machine gun to murder African-America kids outside of a church touching off a riot that was uncontrollable and you see 1968 all over again.

Even if this was not the plan, imposing great strains on the system is one easy way to test resilience. Do it over and over and you might have a new piece of actionable intelligence. And in this case there are few, if any, fingerprints left by the instigators.

That's so far off base it's laughable, pitiful and just right out of the stuff that makes Infowars so seedy and disgusting.

If the customers die then yes, the feds and locals to start getting more involved. The new stuff from China is cheap beause it helps move product.

One of the core underpinings in disaster work is that responders are to do the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of people. That's the focal point that you need to start from. First responder is called to a suspected heroin OD or to a school that's collapsed. I think it's a very safe bet that the druggie is going to be left where he's at.

Don't dig too deep on this stuff since it's not a mystery beyond establishing market share. If I as a drug dearler am competing with the other low level dealers I need to amp up my product to give you a wow the other guy doesn't have. I cut my drugs with these drugs from China.

I have a new wow for you, I spiced up my stuff with a little stuff from China at cheap price and while I'll try to make it as safe as I can, I might not get the batch correct since a tiny bit goes a long way. You'll come to me with my super drug mix.

That's it.

Posts: 4249 | Location: "You can't just go to Walmart with a gift card and get a new brother." Janice Serrano | Registered: May 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flashlightboy:
quote:

That's so far off base it's laughable, pitiful and just right out of the stuff that makes Infowars so seedy and disgusting.

If the customers die then yes, the feds and locals to start getting more involved. The new stuff from China is cheap beause it helps move product.

One of the core underpinings in disaster work is that responders are to do the greatest amount of good for the greatest number of people. That's the focal point that you need to start from. First responder is called to a suspected heroin OD or to a school that's collapsed. I think it's a very safe bet that the druggie is going to be left where he's at.

Don't dig too deep on this stuff since it's not a mystery beyond establishing market share. If I as a drug dearler am competing with the other low level dealers I need to amp up my product to give you a wow the other guy doesn't have. I cut my drugs with these drugs from China.

I have a new wow for you, I spiced up my stuff with a little stuff from China at cheap price and while I'll try to make it as safe as I can, I might not get the batch correct since a tiny bit goes a long way. You'll come to me with my super drug mix.

That's it.

I was a paramedic so triage isn't a new idea.

The strain I'm speaking is not from a single catastrophe. It is the cumulative strain on the gear, people and logistics chain. There is no getting around the fact that budgets are extraordinarily tight, procurement to replace worn gear is being put off as is maintenance of existing gear. As such, systematic resilience is reduced.

Somewhere is a tipping point where the system is in a downward spiral.
If I wanted to weaken a nation, this is an interesting way to do it.

But worry not. You can't use torpedoes in a shallow water anchorage in 1941.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 32008 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Narcan has given this round of heroin users a false sense or even a safety net, so they go for a bigger and bigger "high" and think that if they OD, a first responder with Narcan will bring them right back......

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I think your over thinking the situation.

Why are the cartels smuggling in and selling Fentanyl / Carfentanyl? They have only so much logistical capacity in terms of the weight and/or volume of product they can smuggle in. Comparing Mexican black tar heroin, Fentanyl, and Carfentanyl, how many cut down retail level doses can they get per kilo of each. From that standpoint the synthetics are far superior.

Also, since they're synthetic they don't have to marshall the efforts of large numbers of farmers to cultivate poppies and harvest opium paste, having to have exposed farms. With the synthetics, a container from Shanghai shows up in Encenada, the cartel pays off the Mexican customs agents, and they have all the product they can then push over the US border, especially since it's vastly smaller and lighter per retail dose (see above)

Now what will be interesting is when Chinese criminal networks figure out how to smuggle large amounts of this stuff directly into the US, buried in the vast torrent of goods (which includes a huge amounts of chemical stocks), cutting out the routing through Mexico, and, by extension, the Mexican cartels.

quote:

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Shugart:
quote:

All of that is indisputable. It also all goes away very soon after they OD and come to room temperature.

And, if the Chinese have brought down the cost of illegal druggery by a factor of 20, the pressure to do all that auxiliary crime just went down.

More effective crime reduction plan than anything Obama's DOJ ever came up with.

(I wish I were being sarcastic with that last.)

Posts: 15144 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
wishing we
were congress
posted Hide Post
https://townhall.com/tipsheet/...s-to-the-us-n2396239

DOJ Indicts Chinese Nationals Making and Trafficking Fentanyl Into the U.S.

The Department of Justice announced a series of indictments Tuesday morning against Chinese nationals who have been trafficking fentanyl, the potent drug at the center of the opioid crisis, into the United States. The indictments are the first of their kind and were returned by grand juries in Mississippi, Oregon and North Dakota.

"We are pleased to announce two indictments that mark a major milestone in our battle to stop deadly fentanyl from entering the United States. For the first time, we have indicted major Chinese fentanyl traffickers who have been using the Internet to sell fentanyl and fentanyl analogues to drug traffickers and individual customers in the United States," Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein announced in a speech.

According to the Justice Department, Xiaobing Yan and Jian Zhang worked with Canadian nationals and U.S. citizens living in Florida and New Jersey to traffic the drug. Twenty-one people in total are facing serious charges, but Yan and Zhang are the centerpiece of the investigation.

"Yan, a distributor of a multitude of illegal drugs, used different names and company identities over a period of at least six years and operated websites selling acetyl fentanyl and other deadly fentanyl analogues directly to U.S. customers in multiple cities across the country. Yan also operated at least two chemical plants in China that were capable of producing ton quantities of fentanyl and fentanyl analogues," the DOJ release states. "Over the course of the investigation, federal agents identified more than 100 distributors of synthetic opioids involved with Yan’s manufacturing and distribution networks."

"The defendants allegedly shipped massive quantities of deadly fentanyl and other synthetic opioids to communities throughout the United States, mostly purchased on the Internet and sent through the mail,"