New
Find
Notify
Tools

GRE math prep Login/Join 
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted
Does anyone know of any Youtube channels to learn algebra and geometry? I need an Edward James Olmos (Stand and Deliver reference) who can get through to anyone. Most of the GRE prep videos I've found haven't been too helpful. It has been a few decades and I need to relearn the basics.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am sure there are online courses you can take for a fee, although an in person prep course would be preferable. Maybe Rick Singer could give you a lead.

Posts: 17239 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
ichi-go ichi-e
Picture of Underworld2086
posted Hide Post
Have you taken a look at the videos on Khan Academy?

Posts: 696 | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
I second Khan Academy. Very well done courses.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighten up and laugh
Picture of Ackks
posted Hide Post
I haven't, but will spend some time on Youtube watching them tonight. Thank you.

Posts: 7934 | Registered: September 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I haven't, but will spend some time on Youtube watching them tonight. Thank you.

Another good youtube channel is 3Blue1Brown. similar to Khan.

Posts: 5906 | Location: Denver, CO | Registered: September 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature is full of
magnificent creatures
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tavman:

Who are they, and what do they require to use their site?

Posts: 6273 | Registered: March 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Aller Anfang ist schwer
Picture of Tavman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by Tavman:

Who are they, and what do they require to use their site?

The site was originally started by a guy that wanted to tutor his cousin. The only thing they require is that you sign up to login to the site. No fees, no advertisements.

Posts: 1700 | Location: Fayetteville, AR | Registered: May 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Donate Blood,
Save a Life!
Picture of StarTraveler
posted Hide Post
I know a young lady who used Khan Academy. She gave it high marks.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca

Posts: 2107 | Location: Georgia | Registered: July 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
the homeschool co-op that both my daughters graduated from and wife works at as college guidance counselor uses Khan Academy a lot.

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 3791 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
One suggestion - it is easy to watch videos or read books and say to yourself "that makes sense, I get it, no problem."

Don't be fooled by that inner voice! You need the videos/books to explain concepts and methods, but if you want to really learn it, you also have to DO it. There is no substitute for actual practice working problems.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is to just go take the GRE and see how you do. You might surprise yourself. You can always take it again if you bomb...but you won't.

Math wasn't so difficult for me. The word association portion was though. When I got to the A is to B as C is to X questions, I remember thinking that "this would be a whole lot easier if I knew what any of these words meant." Big Grin

I had a headache when I got out of there. And yes, I did well enough to get into grad school...twice.

Posts: 20111 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
One suggestion - it is easy to watch videos or read books and say to yourself "that makes sense, I get it, no problem."

Don't be fooled by that inner voice! You need the videos/books to explain concepts and methods, but if you want to really learn it, you also have to DO it. There is no substitute for actual practice working problems.

Totally agree. DO THE HOMEWORK!

Posts: 7560 | Registered: October 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post