SIGforum
GRE math prep

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9160018654

May 17, 2019, 04:56 PM
Ackks
GRE math prep
Does anyone know of any Youtube channels to learn algebra and geometry? I need an Edward James Olmos (Stand and Deliver reference) who can get through to anyone. Most of the GRE prep videos I've found haven't been too helpful. It has been a few decades and I need to relearn the basics.
May 17, 2019, 05:36 PM
ZSMICHAEL
I am sure there are online courses you can take for a fee, although an in person prep course would be preferable. Maybe Rick Singer could give you a lead.
May 17, 2019, 05:56 PM
Underworld2086
Have you taken a look at the videos on Khan Academy?
May 17, 2019, 08:15 PM
Tavman
I second Khan Academy. Very well done courses.
May 17, 2019, 08:54 PM
Ackks
I haven't, but will spend some time on Youtube watching them tonight. Thank you.
May 17, 2019, 10:18 PM
zipriderson
quote:
Originally posted by Ackks:
I haven't, but will spend some time on Youtube watching them tonight. Thank you.

Another good youtube channel is 3Blue1Brown. similar to Khan.
May 17, 2019, 10:38 PM
deepocean
quote:
Originally posted by Tavman:

Who are they, and what do they require to use their site?
May 18, 2019, 12:59 PM
Tavman
quote:
Originally posted by deepocean:
quote:
Originally posted by Tavman:

Who are they, and what do they require to use their site?

The site was originally started by a guy that wanted to tutor his cousin. The only thing they require is that you sign up to login to the site. No fees, no advertisements.
May 18, 2019, 03:18 PM
StarTraveler
I know a young lady who used Khan Academy. She gave it high marks.

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam (I will either find a way or make one)." -- Hannibal Barca
May 20, 2019, 08:23 AM
SBrooks
the homeschool co-op that both my daughters graduated from and wife works at as college guidance counselor uses Khan Academy a lot.

------------------
SBrooks
May 20, 2019, 01:39 PM
maladat
One suggestion - it is easy to watch videos or read books and say to yourself "that makes sense, I get it, no problem."

Don't be fooled by that inner voice! You need the videos/books to explain concepts and methods, but if you want to really learn it, you also have to DO it. There is no substitute for actual practice working problems.
May 20, 2019, 01:43 PM
Gustofer
My suggestion is to just go take the GRE and see how you do. You might surprise yourself. You can always take it again if you bomb...but you won't.

Math wasn't so difficult for me. The word association portion was though. When I got to the A is to B as C is to X questions, I remember thinking that "this would be a whole lot easier if I knew what any of these words meant." Big Grin

I had a headache when I got out of there. And yes, I did well enough to get into grad school...twice.

May 20, 2019, 01:43 PM
Bytes
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
One suggestion - it is easy to watch videos or read books and say to yourself "that makes sense, I get it, no problem."

Don't be fooled by that inner voice! You need the videos/books to explain concepts and methods, but if you want to really learn it, you also have to DO it. There is no substitute for actual practice working problems.

Totally agree. DO THE HOMEWORK!