SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    House Passes Bill for Automatic Military Draft Registration of Young Men Between 18 and 26
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

House Passes Bill for Automatic Military Draft Registration of Young Men Between 18 and 26 Login/Join 
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
People have talked about a requirement of all people, with some exceptions should serve (x) number of years in the military.
I don't completely disagree with this idea, as a note I did not serve in the military.

However, I did while a senior in High School start my volunteer service as a first responder in the town I lived in.
First on a local first aid squad then as a fire fighter and continued that service till I moved to Florida fifteen years later.
Because I met certain requirements during that 15 years, to this day I am still a member however I am considered an inactive member of my department.

I think some sort of service to either your country or local community is a good thing that builds structure and character in a persons life.

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2639 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
It is really easy for me not to care about what foreign military engagement our administration sends soldiers to. My kids are all too old to be drafted in anything other than true world war. My grandsons are 5-6 yrs old right now, so nowhere near military age.

That means my kids and their spouses also have higher priorities when they vote than whether volunteers are being sent far away to fight.

But my some of granddaughters are teens. Put them in the draft and suddenly a lot more voters will care.

Better yet, compulsory 2 year military service would bring the topic to the top of voter concern.

I admire those who have served, and the older I get the more I believe we should be avoiding all the foreign entanglements. I don't think there is any way to motivate voters (on any topic) until they have a personal reason. That's why I support a mandatory 2 yr service or at least universal draft registration.

Posts: 9753 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I think registering for the draft should be mandatory for all eighteen year olds, male AND females.

Posts: 13718 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
More light than heat
Picture of Milliron
posted Hide Post
I have a son and daughter both of draftable age and would be OK with both being registered. I had to, and both would have something to offer.

"Age does not bring wisdom. Often it merely changes simple stupidity into arrogant conceit. It's only advantage, so far as I have been able to see, is that it spans change. A young person sees the world as a still picture, immutable. An old person has had his nose rubbed in changes and more changes and still more changes so many times that that he knows it is a moving picture, forever changing. He may not like it--probably doesn't; I don't--but he knows it's so, and knowing is the first step in coping with it."

Robert Heinlein

Posts: 8887 | Location: West Chester, Ohio | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Admit nothing. Deny everything.
Make counter-accusations.
Picture of rkentm
posted Hide Post
I agree completely!

quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I’ll be the voice of unpopular opinion…

I think that every American, male, AND female, should be required to serve two years active duty, and be a permanent reserve member. There should be exceptions for mentally disabled, however even the physically disabled should be required. There are non physical roles that can be filled.
Similar to how Israel and Korea (Korea only requires men) have that requirement. You should be allowed to delay your service if you are headed to college, however after x number of years, your service is required. Failure to report for service, you can spend those two years in incarceration, with a mark on your record noting that you failed to serve your country. That should follow you when you apply for a job. It should be a mark that is black enough that it puts you to the end of the hiring line.
I’m certain many will disagree. Thank you to those who fought for me to have the freedom to say this.

Having our sons AND daughters being put on the front lines, very well may change what bullshit conflicts we get involved in.

"Ladies and Gentlemen - The Fit has hit the Shan!"

Posts: 610 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: September 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
If you don't make women eligible for draft, a metric shit-ton of males would just claim they're transwomen, today-and get away with it.

Posts: 5784 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
If you don't make women eligible for draft, a metric shit-ton of males would just claim they're transwomen, today-and get away with it.

i don't think pajama boy is gonna go along with this

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
This thread is pretty interesting. Obviously I don't know any specifics about members and posters here but I'm comfortable with the idea that it (we) lean right, some more than others with a touch of libertarianism. Now consider the split in the discussion here, which by the way has been entirely civil. Without counting there are probably more posts pro-draft than anti, moderated with thoughts on the ladies. Another of my wild-ass guess is that the only libs that will be pro draft are those that are one way another protected from grabbing the shitty end of the stick.

With the split we have here and the expected outrage from the lefties, the prospect dims.

In 1971 I was on a bridge in WA D.C., I've long since forgot its address, the one that leads into the city with a pleasant view of the Pentagon, when Abbi Hoffman and 400,000 of his closets friends showed up to levitate said Pentagon. How much of that can an administrator stand before they rethink the problem.

What do I think? Keep in mind that it doesn't matter, but I think a Republican would see the coming riff with a draft and take a different route. A Dim would see glory and power and a bigger office and do it.

Posts: 6514 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:

We keep hearing that Trans men are men and you just don’t understand if you think any other way.

Are they going to go with what they truly believe and sign up for the draft or are they going to come up with some b.s. excuse and show how hypocritical they are and prove us right.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
Many countries have sent us plenty of military-age men.

Posts: 8726 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by downtownv:

And... this is in NO WAY a solution. They must be deported.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24638 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
quote:

Sarcasm Wink

Posts: 8726 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:

if the dems win the WH, they'll plan to enlist as many as they can, problem solved

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
quote:
quote:

if the dems win the WH, they'll plan to enlist as many as they can, problem solved

I don't see it. Would you care to elaborate?

Posts: 6514 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
let's just say with millions of illegals beholden to, and at the mercy, of democrat leadership, they will be used to further the agenda, the possibilities are endless. this has not been perpetrated on the basis of altruism.

Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Like many things, here’s their MO.

Create problem.
Deny problem exists.
Deny problem exists again.
Admit problem and blame it on the Republicans.
Introduce legislation to fix problem (that they created).
Add tons of unneeded leftist BS to said legislation.
When Republicans vote against said legislation with tons of unneeded leftist BS, blame Republicans for not wanting to fix the problem (that they created).

Politics 101.

Posts: 20600 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sse:
let's just say with millions of illegals beholden to, and at the mercy, of democrat leadership, they will be used to further the agenda, the possibilities are endless. this has not been perpetrated on the basis of altruism.

Got it, thanks

Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
The reason why recruitment levels are so low is because people are realizing that being in the US military isn't about possibly fighting for your country, it's about fighting for your government. They're not the same.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24638 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
The reason why recruitment levels are so low is because people are realizing that being in the US military isn't about possibly fighting for your country, it's about fighting for your government. They're not the same.
It doesn’t help that the government hates the people that want to and would fight for their country.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've never been a fan of forced military service. In fact I despise the idea of someone being forced against their will to do anything for government. This isn't serving your country, it's serving the interests of politicians and their benefactors.

No one's life, liberty or property is safe while the legislature is in session.- Mark Twain

Posts: 3633 | Location: TX | Registered: October 08, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post