SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I think I had a post deleted
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think I had a post deleted Login/Join 
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:

Can you please point out where in the pinned posts is says auctions are not to be posted in a thread? I'm not being a smartass but I read the pinned posts and didn't see any mention of it.

Earlier today I innocently posted a GB auction link and immediately there were posts saying that the thread would be locked if I didn't delete it.

If I missed it then my apologies but if it's not in the pinned posts perhaps it should be?

Another way to look at it: If no one else is doing something - like posting links to GB auctions - it’s probably not a good idea.

This forum has been around for a couple of decades. There are almost 90,000 registered members; several hundred are logged on at any one time. There’s nothing new under the sun.

The best way to learn the dos and don’ts of Sigforum is to invest the time reading and participating. It’ll take some time, but is worth the effort. Razz

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6404 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hildur:

Can you please point out where in the pinned posts is says auctions are not to be posted in a thread? I'm not being a smartass but I read the pinned posts and didn't see any mention of it.

Earlier today I innocently posted a GB auction link and immediately there were posts saying that the thread would be locked if I didn't delete it.

If I missed it then my apologies but if it's not in the pinned posts perhaps it should be?

It was recommended by 220-9er that you read this post.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/5670064284

Not all rules are written down.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12332 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Did we figure out if it was deleted? Probably just misplaced it somewhere.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20823 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
I assumed deleted because I could not find it again. But as I said before I simply stated that there was a rare gun on GB, go find it if you want. No, I was not the seller either. As for if it was a good deal I don't think it was anything special on the price. However it being a Hawes import gun makes is exceedingly unusual to come up for sale.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nosce te ipsum
Picture of Woodman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tacfoley:
Just remember that there is only one person here who can delete a po
Deleting a po ... ? Is that like passing gas on an elevator but no one can smell it?

Dude, I heard you fart but thank god I don't smell it. How is it you can delete your po?

Posts: 8759 | Registered: March 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGGUY (THE 1ST):
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
This thread will probably be nuked, soon, also. My advice, if you got a thread deleted, move on and don't start another to wonder why.

/////////////////////
I believe it is located in the rules book, isnt it 12131? page...

There is no rule book, but it is in the waiver.

You're absolutely right.

Looking at my "original" copy, it is addressed in paragraph #449 on pg. 112 - about half way down.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
When you participate in an auction, how many other people do you want bidding on your item? The answer, of course, is none. You want to bid on the item, spending the least amount you can, and win the auction. That means- ideally- no other bidders. You certainly don't want competition on the item because someone is spreading links to it on the internet. At least the people bidding against you should have found the auction on their own.

If you've found an item you really want, would you go out to forums and post a link to that auction? Of course you wouldn't. By doing so, you would risk stimulating the interest of someone who has more money than initiative. They didn't bother to perform searches to find the item, but now that they see it, hey, why not bid on it? More money than initiative.

Directing people to an active auction can alter the outcome of that auction, by causing the ultimate winner of the auction to have to outbid some yutz who wouldn't have even known about the auction had it not been for people spreading links all over the internet. Your innocent link to an interesting auction might actually mean that the guy who would have won the auction without any external links, loses to someone else. You'll never know, and the answer then is to refrain from ever doing this.

Why is this so hard to comprehend? We need a rule that says "Don't queer some poor guy's auction bids"? It's the Golden Rule. There- it's posted. Do unto others...

It is exceedingy poor form to interfere with an auction, and when you direct people to an auction who didn't have the initiative to find it themselves, you are most assuredly interfering.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107598 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
This thread will probably be nuked, soon, also. My advice, if you got a thread deleted, move on and don't start another to wonder why.

/////////////////////

we have a rule book?

when did that come out?

all I got was the waiver

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
quote:
quote:

/////////////////////

we have a rule book?

when did that come out?

all I got was the waiver

They were passed out during the national SF bbq and rodeo weekend in Texas last year. We all got one. You must have missed out.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not that an explanation was needed; however that was well said Para.

Thank you

Posts: 491 | Location: St. Augustine, FL | Registered: April 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
My parents liked to use the expression "because we said so" a lot when I was a youngster.
I quickly learned to say OK. The bottom line, as long as they were paying my bills they made any rules they wanted.
When i got a little older I usually figured out why they had those rules.

Posts: 9514 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of p08
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
When you participate in an auction, how many other people do you want bidding on your item? The answer, of course, is none. You want to bid on the item, spending the least amount you can, and win the auction. That means- ideally- no other bidders. You certainly don't want competition on the item because someone is spreading links to it on the internet. At least the people bidding against you should have found the auction on their own.

If you've found an item you really want, would you go out to forums and post a link to that auction? Of course you wouldn't. By doing so, you would risk stimulating the interest of someone who has more money than initiative. They didn't bother to perform searches to find the item, but now that they see it, hey, why not bid on it? More money than initiative.

Directing people to an active auction can alter the outcome of that auction, by causing the ultimate winner of the auction to have to outbid some yutz who wouldn't have even known about the auction had it not been for people spreading links all over the internet. Your innocent link to an interesting auction might actually mean that the guy who would have won the auction without any external links, loses to someone else. You'll never know, and the answer then is to refrain from ever doing this.

Why is this so hard to comprehend? We need a rule that says "Don't queer some poor guy's auction bids"? It's the Golden Rule. There- it's posted. Do unto others...

It is exceedingy poor form to interfere with an auction, and when you direct people to an auction who didn't have the initiative to find it themselves, you are most assuredly interfering.

Of course none of that really applies to my post in this discussion. I posted no links, simply said where to look, go find it. BTW the gun did not sell as I think it is priced too high.
I also thought that as I assumed that people here are "collectors" of Sig pistols a heads up would not be a big deal. I know on my Luger collectors sight that is the case.

-------------------------------------
Always the pall bearer, never the corpse.

Posts: 700 | Location: Illinois | Registered: December 03, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dinosaur
Picture of P210
posted Hide Post
Let it go.

Posts: 6956 | Location: 96753 | Registered: December 15, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You named the pistol make and model. You named the caliber and the importer (an uncommon importer). You named the site it was on. It would take a reasonably competent gun owner about 15 seconds to find it. You alerted members to an active auction. Period. Splitting hairs doesn't change matters.

I neither expected nor wish any contrition from you on this. Heck, I deleted the post without making any comment to you, and the only reason we're discussing it now is because of this thread you've created. So, it's no big deal, but let's not get bold in the face of the explanation I provided you and try to say it doesn't apply in this instance. It most certainly does apply in this instance, and I've told you why this is so.

Posts: 107598 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Some folks just cannot see a clue, even after it smacked them in the face. smh.

Q

Posts: 26390 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:

Of course none of that really applies to my post in this discussion.

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of giz55792
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by p08:
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:

Of course none of that really applies to my post in this discussion. I posted no links, simply said where to look, go find it. BTW the gun did not sell as I think it is priced too high.
I also thought that as I assumed that people here are "collectors" of Sig pistols a heads up would not be a big deal. I know on my Luger collectors sight that is the case.

Dude, just drop it and move on.

Posts: 711 | Location: Virginia, MN | Registered: October 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Bruh. Be like Elsa & Let it go. Benevolence and clarification of policy can quickly turn into one being nuked from orbit when one seems hell bent on proving their completely irrelevant point.

The serious collectors are already aware. Trust me. They don’t need your help and they certainly don’t want you adding more bidders.

Cmon Man. Apply logic and think it through. Don’t waste time defending a losing cause. Just move on. It’s not a big deal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21108 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post