SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best LED lanterns for indoor use
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best LED lanterns for indoor use Login/Join 
posted
Would be used in the event of a hurricane that resulted in several weeks loss of electricity. Price not a concern. Thanks

Posts: 17258 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
We've had excellent luck with the UST brand LED lanterns (all over Amazon and a number of other outlets.)

I have several of the 10-day models (run on AAs) that seem to be out of production, but the newer models include li-ion rechargeable models that can also use alkaline cells. They've been durable and even on comparatively low output settings (300-400 lumens) there's plenty of light to work with, especially if you have a few on hand and light-colored walls.

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Connoisseur of
Fine Firearms
Picture of lbaker45
posted Hide Post
Streamlight makes a great lantern, I sure like mine!

Posts: 1926 | Location: Midwest | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107690 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
A while back the Streamlight lanterns were highly recommended here. I have two of the small AA ones, not super long lasting but decent.

The D cell ones are supposed to last a long time and be bright. https://www.brightguy.com/prod...t-siege-led-lantern/

Looks like they are on sale and they have a new rechargeable model.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8345 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
For indoor use, I have two Streamlight Siege D-cell models and one AA Siege.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107690 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
If money is not a concern as you say, I would buy some Milwaukee 18v lights of various types and a car charger.

Posts: 21116 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I usually hesitate to recommmend things from Harbor Freight, but they have a popup lantern for $6.00 that, in my experience, works well.

I have a few of these scattered around the house and in the garage.

Quality is a great thing, but it seems that Quantity has a Quality all it's own.

Go take a hundred dollar bill to Harbor Freight and buy 15 or so of these. Each comes with 3 AAA batteries that seem decent.

It's nice to have a couple spares to help out family and friends when necessary.

BTW I no longer buy Alkaline batteries. Leaky junky product!

Now I ONLY buy "Energizer Ultimate Lithium" in AA & AAA size. Due to a different chemistry composition they do not leak. In my area it seems that Home Depot has the best price, but they are sold anywhere you find the usual batteries. Be sure to stock up on batteries.

I think it's a great idea to buy the quality lanterns as you requested. I also think having some diversification and backup makes these Harbor Freight cheap units a very good complement.

Everyready Ultimate Lithiums

Harbor Freight Link

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11860 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Stream light Siege D is on sale at Amazon, $35. I have one on my nightstand. Good light output, small size good if you have to bug out.

For indoors, I also have a couple of Enbrighten branded lanterns I got at Costco. I think they were $30. Use 8D cells and provide a USB output you can charge your phone off of. Three brightness levels.

Like a lot of things, they tend to be a seasonal item.

Here is an Amazon listing for the same lantern, but it shows as “No available”:

https://www.amazon.com/Enbrigh...-Metal/dp/B07VFL43BX

Here is a similar one, 6 batteries instead of 8 and square base instead of round:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B084Z26KNQ/

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use NEBO worklight/flashlight and have one of those larger batterys for recharging cell phones to charge them and in work light mode, they do a great job of illuminating the room. I'd have 1-2 going (after the hurricane) and one on the charger.

Like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Work-Li...d=1602465006&sr=8-13

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bonfire
posted Hide Post
I just bought some USB rechargeable lanterns and they are great so far. They also take batteries. I went a chargeable one because I can use my solar charger just in case I run out of batteries. I also got some chargeable headlamps. I am impressed with both of them. They are bright and seem well built.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod...02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

In war, truth is the first casualty. Aeschylus Greek tragic dramatist (525 BC - 456 BC)

Posts: 464 | Location: North of Seattle | Registered: March 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
I have a few different Milwaukee tools. So I have two 18 v 5ah batteries. I bought the light that can be powered by those batteries. It can plug in as well. You can get 9 hours out of a battery. Guess that’s not so great for a long term power outage.

This is the light I bought: Milwaukee Task Light

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4029 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Goal Zero Crushlight is a solar rechargeable LED lantern that might be a useful addition to the assorted battery powered ones. About $25 on amazon. I have a couple of the white light model that I’ve found useful during power outages.

Posts: 26935 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I have the Ryobi 18v tool system with several tools, including two nice LED lights. Plus several batteries with 110 and 12v chargers. Also have two deep cycle batteries with an inverter for charging if needed also. Oh, and solar charger for deep cycles too!

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2539 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
For indoors, I also have a couple of Enbrighten branded lanterns I got at Costco. I think they were $30. Use 8D cells and provide a USB output you can charge your phone off of. Three brightness levels.

Sadly I think this seasons model has a rechargeable battery, no longer D cell.

Posts: 9980 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of UTsig
posted Hide Post
I have a couple of the the Streamlight Siege in D Cell. Both have been very good, even take one with me on vacation. If you don't use them a lot, be sure to replace the batteries occasionally, I ruined one of mine with leaky ones.

"Nature scares me" a quote by my friend Bob after a rough day at sea.

Posts: 3404 | Location: Utah's Dixie | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
I got something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcit...id=1602517833&sr=8-4

I wouldn't count on it to take serious abuse, but for something to use in the house during a blackout, it's fine. It also has a regular flashlight built into the base if you want to use it like that also. And it works on AA batteries. The last time there was a serious blackout here, Ds were unobtainium while AAs could be found.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
We ordered Hybridlight headlamps and a few of the Puc Expandable Lantern / Chargers for a fundraiser (Trail Life, similar to Boy Scouts) to help a young man earn a Henry lever action .22...

I wasn't expecting much, but I'm really impressed with both the headlamps and the Puc lantern.

Posts: 1806 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chilihead and Barbeque Aficionado
Picture of 2Adefender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
I got something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcit...id=1602517833&sr=8-4

I wouldn't count on it to take serious abuse, but for something to use in the house during a blackout, it's fine. It also has a regular flashlight built into the base if you want to use it like that also. And it works on AA batteries. The last time there was a serious blackout here, Ds were unobtainium while AAs could be found.

I have several of those, too. They work well. AA batteries are the way to go. Unfortunately, D batteries are going the way of the Dodo bird.

The Second Amendment is not about hunting or sport shooting.

Posts: 10495 | Location: FL | Registered: December 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post