SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm going to start shopping for a new business vehicle
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm going to start shopping for a new business vehicle Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
I do appreciate BigSwede's assistance. Any trip outside the area isn't going to happen before winter. Would I have to go there to buy a truck there?

The local dealership said that putting the truck in the business name coats more that putting it in my name. Does that make any sense?

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:

The local dealership said that putting the truck in the business name coats more that putting it in my name. Does that make any sense?
It might cost more for title / licensing, depending on what the state / county does.

Insurance might be a big difference, though. My agent pointed out to me that insuring my GMC 3500 truck when owned by a business was costing me about double what it would cost if owned by an individual. With the truck owned by the company, Flo at Progressive was the lowest cost that we could find, at about $2,200.00 / year. Re-titled it to my name, added it to the family auto policy at Travelers, and it dropped to less than $1,200.00 / year for insurance that was a bit better, and included Roadside Assistance, which I have already used twice to change flat tires. Yeah, I know how to change a tire, and I have changed many in my life, but at 82 years old with limited mobility, this is a chore that I will turn over to somebody who is younger and more agile.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30709 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
I do appreciate BigSwede's assistance. Any trip outside the area isn't going to happen before winter. Would I have to go there to buy a truck there?

Hi. Do you have an accountant or CPA who does your taxes? I HIGHLY recommend you speak to a CPA about that question, as well as how to maximize the tax deductions, expenses of purchase, etc.

Good luck to you.

Posts: 11859 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
quote:

What a bunch of morons, your business qualifies for the same rebates as a retail consumer, plus an additional $500-$1000 rebate called business choice. Cheaper unless you have access to the GM employee discount from a relative, if so you have to do it in your name to get the employee discount.

Commercial interest rates are a bit more than retail but by only .5% or so. With Ally and GM financial I have the ability to do what's called a "third party guarantor" meaning you can co-sign with your company but your name is not on the loan docs or is it reported to credit bureau, keeping your credit free to do your personal stuff.

You wouldn't have to step foot in GA to buy, I'd ship it to your door for about $500

Posts: 5341 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
What a bunch of morons, your business qualifies for the same rebates as a retail consumer, plus an additional $500-$1000 rebate called business choice. Cheaper unless you have access to the GM employee discount from a relative, if so you have to do it in your name to get the employee discount.

Commercial interest rates are a bit more than retail but by only .5% or so. With Ally and GM financial I have the ability to do what's called a "third party guarantor" meaning you can co-sign with your company but your name is not on the loan docs or is it reported to credit bureau, keeping your credit free to do your personal stuff.
I do have access to the GM employee discount. Either through legacy from my dad (deceased) or his wife. Both retired from GM.

They were talking about the interest rate that would be so much more and didn't mention I'd lose the discount.

quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
You wouldn't have to step foot in GA to buy, I'd ship it to your door for about $500

I was convinced that I wanted a GMC rather than a Chevrolet but that's just tradition. I apologize for not considering you first. I couldn't possibly care less about a few cosmetic differences anymore. There's no real difference other than the looks of the front end, correct?

Let me chat with my wife about the scenario and I'll shoot you over some information.

Posts: 45382 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would absolutely get a pickup truck. Nobody wants to smell fertilizer all day while driving between jobs. If you're going to have permanently mounted tanks for the fertilizer, I would purchase the truck in your business and have it insured appropriately in today's sue happy world.

Another thing to look at is everyone here in the lawn spraying business seems to use a commercial truck made by Isuzu (NPR or NQR) with a flat bed on it made of painted steel. Some companies use gas engines, some use diesel, they're available in standard or crew cab. They mount/bolt the tanks, reels, and gas pumps on the flat bed. It might be a cheaper route and better route than going to a Chevy 3500 which is big $$$. They can be found used and fairly new for a reasonable price.

Similar to this

https://www.commercialtrucktra...ISUZU-NPR-5006506396

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
Shoot, I was going to build the truck online but they don't show the regular cab as being an option.

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
We use Fords, which also doesn't show regular cabs as an option, online, but we got them without a problem.

We get rather base trucks, but with every possible camera and beeper. The first time someone doesn't hit something, it pays for itself.

Posts: 5744 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
It's not bad. I can see that working. Of course back up visibility is limited like in a van.

Add on backup cam. I think they're pretty cheap now.

Posts: 11393 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post