SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fly Rod Screw Up and Replacement Recommendations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fly Rod Screw Up and Replacement Recommendations? Login/Join 
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted
Question for the fly fishermen here! I had an old 2 piece "Custom Made" rod that was handed down by my grandfather. He taught me my limited knowledge of fly fishing. I don't know the brand of rod it was. All it said on it was "custom made" and the size/weight.

Made a dumb mistake and my Bull Terrier pup got to the rod and destroyed it. Bit heartbroken about that as it was sentimental to me as my grandfather passed a couple years ago, but it was my own fault.

Sob story over, I do need a replacement. Trying to keep it under $250 if possible. I really enjoyed using that rod, but since I do not know anything about it, I really do not know if it was high end or not, so I am a bit concerned a sub $250 rod will be a big step down. Or maybe it will be a big step up?

I am definitely in the beginner/novice camp so probably not a big deal for me.

What are the best sub $250 rods you all may recommend?

My short list so far... All 9' 5wt

* Orvis Clearwater

* Moonshine Rod Co Drifter

* Echo Base or Carbon

* Fenwick Aetos

Leaning a bit towards the Clearwater. Any other suggestions to look for? Recommendations out of the ones I listed?

Thanks!

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Sorry about your rod. Pups will do things like that .
There is a really good shop just west of Sun River iirc. My brother is an avid fly fisherman and has done a lot of business with them. He lives and fishes the area. He has spoken very highly of them and say's their advice is solid. I can get you the name if you wish.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19158 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
That would be great and much appreciated!

-Jay

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SPWAMike0317
posted Hide Post
If you have the remnants of your grandfather's fly rod, perhaps taking them to the shop recommended by old rugged cross will help to determine what is a good replacement. Depending on how badly the pup chewed it, there may be a possibility of repair.

By the way, 5 dogs have resided with me so yeah, I feel your pain. Favorite hiking shoes, relatively new, deconstructed in a matter of minutes.

Let me help you out. Which way did you come in?

Posts: 717 | Location: North of Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: January 29, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spiritually Imperfect
Picture of VictimNoMore
posted Hide Post
A Fenwick Eagle was my first all-around 9' 5wt fly rod. It is very good at most things, and the price is right.

I have moved into Orvis setups since then. The Clearwater is a very good rod. It is made overseas, if that is something that you consider.
Orvis has the Superfine Glass rods that are excellent, but do cost a little bit more than the Clearwaters. 25 year warranty on the Superfines.

Posts: 3805 | Location: WV | Registered: January 30, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Custom Made is a brand, your rod might be one. As for the replacement, I haven’t bought any new fly gear in a long time, though I tend to like Lamiglas.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lude4life:
That would be great and much appreciated!

I sent him a text so when I get the info I will get it too you. I know he bought a rod, among many other items from them. He has been really happy with it.

Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
I have not heard back from him yet. But am betting it is the "Sun River Fly Shop".

I will confirm once he lets me know. He probably has a contact there.

Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys!

Unfortunately there is not much that is replaceable on the old rod. Bull Terriers are not known for they weak jaws... Frown

-Jay

The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I think Lefty Kreh TFO rods are about that price. My spey rod is one, and I like it.

Posts: 5729 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
My advice will probably be annoying, but I think most prudent. You're in an area blessed to have several great shops around. Go to one of them and take the rod you've broken with you (as already suggested). Try out several of the ones they have for sale, and if they won't let you try any, find another shop, you're in the wrong place.

That said, depending on the weight of rod you want, you may find that the Fenwick Aetos from your list will do the job nicely. They've been a favorite of mine in the lighter weight "budget" category for several years, and their 5 weight is pretty darn solid. You didn't say what you're fishing for... trout, I'm guessing?

There's also new Redington kit series that comes with the whole kit n kaboodle setup, I recently got their Bass kit and it's pretty solid. Redington is often overlooked but is very solid. Their Classic Trout is supposed to be great.

I think I read that the Moonshines were pretty good, and that maybe their action is a little more medium speed. Not sure if that's a good thing or not for you, but I find the slower actions sometimes almost more relaxing and enjoyable than the "hurry up" of the fast action.

I do have a 6wt Clearwater, and it's a good solid rod. Given a choice between it and the Aetos, I'll have the Aetos, thanks. Wink

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been fly fishing for decades. Of the ones you list Orvis would be the best. They stand behind their products. Great warranty and l. Perkins started the company as a fly shop. Look around online. SAGE is my favorite and being the end of summer might be able to snag one on sale. Email me if you want more info. Good luck and pet the offender for me. He didn’t know.

Posts: 279 | Location: Northeast Ohio  | Registered: August 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
If you have time also check The Fly Fishers Place in Sisters. They run a pretty good shop with helpful staff.

If you come to the valley The Caddis Fly is very good also.

Cheers~

Posts: 905 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
Best value in fly rods, imo, is St Croix Imperial followed closely by higher end rods by Temple Forks Outfitters.

Imperials are right around that $250 mark. That rod was first recommended to me by Gary Merriman, owner of the Fish Hawk here in Atlanta and the inventor of the Tarpon Toad.

I think these rods are better than the budget rods from the big guys like Orvis, Sage, Scott, etc. Of which I have a few rods. My 6wt Imperial is a beast of a streamer rod with a ton of backbone.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of K0ZZZ
posted Hide Post
Fly rods can get expensive rather quick. One thing I will say is, I had a rod in and around the 200-250 dollar range, and it was exhausting to use. Just wasn't balanced great, and was a little heavier.

The rod I typically use was about 400 and there was no comparison, it was a dream. Much better action, everything was smoother, better casts, better control, less weight.

Consider going up one price point if when you're testing out rods at a local shop that if it feels that much better it might be worth doing.

... Chad

http://shotworkspro.com - Much better than scrap paper! Use 'Take5' to get 5 bucks off.

Posts: 770 | Location: Colorado Springs, CO | Registered: December 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
I'd add like anything, you will most likely get what you pay for. Fly rods, quality is expensive. I have a StCroix Avid, 8'6" 5 weight, that's a dream to use. Also an Elkhorn 4 piece pack rod, 5 weight that I made, that is great, but no where near as good as the Avid. Lamiglass is a great company too. I sent back half of very spendy salmon rod, and they sent me a brand new rod. No questions asked. And it was mostly my fault it broke.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10908 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
www.magscustomrods.com
Made right here in the Yoop.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16067 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What yellowjacket said.
St Croix Imperial 5wt is an awesome stick.
Very well constructed and a blast to fish.
American made and comes in at just under $300.

-------------

The sadder but wiser girl for me.

Posts: 1056 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
How old is the rod that got chewed up, and was it bamboo, graphite, or fiberglass?

Fishing rod technology has progressed a lot over the past 30-40 years. If it was a manmade material rod, and 30 or more years old, you may be looking at an upgrade even if you buy a replacement rod that’s not currently top of the line.

Posts: 26893 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
My advice will probably be annoying, but I think most prudent. You're in an area blessed to have several great shops around. Go to one of them and take the rod you've broken with you (as already suggested). Try out several of the ones they have for sale, and if they won't let you try any, find another shop, you're in the wrong place.

That said, depending on the weight of rod you want, you may find that the Fenwick Aetos from your list will do the job nicely. They've been a favorite of mine in the lighter weight "budget" category for several years, and their 5 weight is pretty darn solid. You didn't say what you're fishing for... trout, I'm guessing?

There's also new Redington kit series that comes with the whole kit n kaboodle setup, I recently got their Bass kit and it's pretty solid. Redington is often overlooked but is very solid. Their Classic Trout is supposed to be great.

I think I read that the Moonshines were pretty good, and that maybe their action is a little more medium speed. Not sure if that's a good thing or not for you, but I find the slower actions sometimes almost more relaxing and enjoyable than the "hurry up" of the fast action.

I do have a 6wt Clearwater, and it's a good solid rod. Given a choice between it and the Aetos, I'll have the Aetos, thanks. Wink

Redington a subbrand of the biggie, Sage. My son is a fly fisherman and likes Redington.

The Aetos always comes up high in the lower priced fly rods.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post