SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fly Rod Screw Up and Replacement Recommendations?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fly Rod Screw Up and Replacement Recommendations? Login/Join 
It seemed like a good idea...
Picture of lude4life
posted Hide Post
Greatly appreciate all of the suggestions! I will definitely check out a few of the great shops we have local.

-Jay

"Assault is a type of behavior, not a type of hardware." -Alan Korwin

Posts: 2810 | Location: Central Oregon | Registered: November 03, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
If “Custom Made” is in fact a brand they may have a very generous warranty like Orvis does with their no questions asked 100% replacement. I have used their warranty on 2 different occasions…(don’t ask!).

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6312 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In the first place, nothing you buy today is going to be anything like your Grandfather's fly rod; today's rods are going to be infinitely superior. Even fairly inexpensive ones. Some older rods had a certain feel and/or action that modern rods might not be able to replicate, but it would be a very individual and subjective judgement if you liked a very old rod, and it would be based upon a lot of experience with it.

I've been fishing for over sixty years, most of it including fly fishing, and I have a lot of fly rods, most of them high-end. But none that I have bought more recently than about five or six years ago, and most were bought about twenty years ago. So I am not really up to date on the latest developments. That said, I think YellowJacket is spot on with his assessment. I think St. Croix does a good job with moderate-priced rods (I have a few of their spinning and saltwater rods), and Lefty Kreh, who knew a thing or two about fly casting, was instrumental in the development of TFO's rods. Both of those companies have a good reputation for moderate-priced rods. And, as much as I like Orvis, (I had an Orvis Battenkill split bamboo fly rod when I was a teenager), I think there are better places to look than their low-end rods.

All this said, the simple way to do it, as others have suggested, is to go to a good local fly shop and try them out. It's the only way to know how they will feel to you, and that's what counts. Good luck.

Posts: 2692 | Registered: November 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Jay, my brother said to call him if you would like. I can give you his number if you wish to do so. Email me if you want to talk fly rods with him. He will steer you to the best person. He has connections. And is a great guy. If not, no sweat. Thanks, orc

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19161 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I fished a Orvis Clearwater a month ago when my tip on the Sage broke. It was great for the price. I have several, high end and lower quality rods. Unless you fish a lot, high end doesn't make a difference. I have several 2 PC rods, unless it was bamboo, I may have a cheap match. Let me know.
BG

Posts: 937 | Location: Greeley, CO | Registered: March 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
If it was that old it was probably fiberglass. If you like the slow feel of a glass rod, check out Redington's Butterstick. It's a cool rod with a classic glass tempo and feel. And right at $250.

Graphite rods are lighter and most are faster, though you can buy different flex rods.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10486 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Buy a used Sage or Winston or G. Loomis off Craigslist. Get a $500-$900 rod used for 200-300. It will be much better than any $200 new rod.

Personally I fish with Winston rods, although I still have some Sage rods from years ago. Great rods either way.

I like the shop in Sisters. Good current info on the Metolius, Deschutes and Crooked rivers.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by amals:
In the first place, nothing you buy today is going to be anything like your Grandfather's fly rod; today's rods are going to be infinitely superior. Even fairly inexpensive ones. Some older rods had a certain feel and/or action that modern rods might not be able to replicate, but it would be a very individual and subjective judgement if you liked a very old rod, and it would be based upon a lot of experience with it.

I've been fishing for over sixty years, most of it including fly fishing, and I have a lot of fly rods, most of them high-end. But none that I have bought more recently than about five or six years ago, and most were bought about twenty years ago. So I am not really up to date on the latest developments. That said, I think YellowJacket is spot on with his assessment. I think St. Croix does a good job with moderate-priced rods (I have a few of their spinning and saltwater rods), and Lefty Kreh, who knew a thing or two about fly casting, was instrumental in the development of TFO's rods. Both of those companies have a good reputation for moderate-priced rods. And, as much as I like Orvis, (I had an Orvis Battenkill split bamboo fly rod when I was a teenager), I think there are better places to look than their low-end rods.

I agree that St. Croix makes a nice rod. I have a spinning rod and a casting rod from them - very good for a reasonable price. I don't know much about their fly rods, but would look at them.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Equal Opportunity Mocker
Picture of slabsides45
posted Hide Post
Well, did you make a decision yet?

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers

Posts: 6389 | Location: Mogadishu on the Mississippi | Registered: February 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Green Highlander
posted Hide Post
Take a good luck at the Temple Fork Outfitters offerings. They have great rods at your price point and come with a lifetime warranty. I have friends who are NH licensed guides and they use and recommend TFO. I have another friend who owned a fly shop and he swears by them. I have them in 2,4,5,7 and 8 weights and use them in small streams, to salmon in Scotland to stripers in the ocean. If you can, get out and try casting a variety of rods. The one that best fits your stroke likely won’t be the most expensive.

"You know, Scotland has its own martial arts. Yeah, it's called Fuck You. It's mostly just head butting and then kicking people when they're on the ground." - Charlie MacKenzie (Mike Myers in "So I Married an Axe Murderer")

Posts: 2386 | Location: Seacoast, NH | Registered: July 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dont know if you have decided yet but I have been very happy with my St. Croix Imperial as well as Sage 690. Sage is a little pricey though.

Posts: 584 | Location: Helena, AL | Registered: July 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post